VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My dvd recorder has started making a horrible grinding noise when burning in high speed to DVD-R. I am using Verbatim discs that I have been using successfully in this machine since I got it over a year ago. It does not make the noise when burning to DVD-RAM and the recording does come out fine on DVD-R. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to the most recent VH post talking about spindle cleaning. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic373335.html
    It links the, AFAIK first thread noting this problem, it's applicable to all Pannys.
    I'm 99.9% sure cleaning your spindle will correct your problems, your description GRINDING tells the whole story.
    Another thing I do to ease the strain on the spindle, I enable silent mode for HS burns. It only takes a few minutes longer but puts far less strain on the drive.
    Here is another link to a thread I started at AVS some time back, also with the description grinding. I believe it also references the CDFreaks post.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982378&highlight=grinding+finalizing+discs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I actually did clean the spindle a few months ago and noticed a huge difference in performance (for the better). I didn't think that griding was an indication of a spindle needing to be cleaned, but it's worth a shot.

I didn't know that there were different modes for HS burns - I will check the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the '05 DVDRs you were asked every time if you wanted "silent" mode, on my '06 EH-55 (same year as your EH-75v) you don't get asked but it's a FUNCTIONS option you set once and you're done.
    Silent isn't to be confused with HS, you can only use the silent mode if you've chosen HS and silent slows down the writing speed process which in turn makes things quieter.
    I'm not saying silent is a way to get away with not cleaning the spindle but IMO it does extend the time between the cleanings and is probably easier on the moving parts. Personally I listen carefully to the drive when I insert recordable discs, if I start to hear grinding or louder than normal noises I schedule a cleaning as soon as possible. Others do regular cleanings at 6 or 12 month intervals. It all depends on use and how dusty your environment is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I have a dog that sheds a lot and stays in the area that the recorder is in, so it makes sense that I need to clean it more regularly. I did find the silent mode. Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $%&*$@?%^# I wish I would have seen this thread a few weeks ago. I had been having the same "grinding noise" problem with my Panasonic es20. I just purchased a new DVD recorder a couple of weeks ago and was in the process of tossing the old one in the garbage. I saw this thread yesterday and cleaned the spindle on my es20. Grinding noise problem cured and the old dog works just like new. Now I am stuck with a brand new (used slightly) machine, that I don't really need now. Thanks for the info and I should have checked here first.
    Quote Quote