VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hoping someone can help - I've looked through the forum and google et al and haven't found anything that I can do.

I have a Panasonic DMR-EH55 - for region 4 (Australia & NZ) I just realised that I might be able to decode it so that I can watch the region 1 NTSC DVD that I have.

I gather I can do things like follow the instructions for the Pocket PC, mobile phone etc to decode - but the only problem is that I don't own these so I can't do it. Plus I don't own a Panasonic Universal remote either so can't follow the instructions for that.

I've looked at the normal remote control instructions on the page below, however they say that you have to use buttons that my DVD recorder remote doesn't have - things like SHIFT, "," < += etc etc

http://www.dcevolution.net/panasonic/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=54

I'd really love help in trying to get the DVD recorder to play DVDs from all regions, including #1 as it would make shopping online for DVDs a lot easier. I'm currently looking into buying HOUSE Series 1- 5 and it's a 33 disk set - it would be a lot easier knowing that I've got greater choice in the regions I get.

Thanks VERY much .......
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If it requires a Pocket PC or special remote to make it region free than you have no other choice. Buy what it takes or go away.

Do note that even if you buy some device to make it region free that you still may fail. Your hardware could be different from the ones in the past that could be hacked or the instructions might have left out some critical piece of information that you need to make the codes work. So even if you spend your money to get some special device to input the codes and you do everything as instructed it still may not work. But your plan to do this without buying a special device won't work. Some DVD players require special remotes to enter hack codes. It sucks, but that's how it is.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The safer and may be even cheaper way is to make region free backups of the region locked discs you want to play, mucking about with your machine could ruin it.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding to the post from victoriabears, you can use the free ripping tool from DVDFab HD Decrypter to make region-free backups. That way, you never risk damaging your DVD unit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or just buy a cheap region free DVD player or a player that can be easily hacked. Personally I wouldn't want to use my EH-55 to play DVDs, in the US anyway they're far to valuable to wear out playing DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote