VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a Sony CCD TRV88 NTSC 8mm camcorder, this was in its time and even now a very high quality tape camcorder, it has 3 outputs as follows..... S VIDEO OUT
    ...... A V OUT
    ...... RFUDC OUT

I can only find one cable that came with it , which looks to me like a 1/4 in. male jack on one end and 3 pc. stereo jacks on the other , I guess for a TV hookup.

My ultimate goal here is to shoot my own Television commercial and edit it on my computer and burn it on to dvd using my computers dvd burner, the finished format needs to be AVI

I am currently using windows XP home edition, service pack 3, with windows media player 11 and windows movie maker, although I am open to using different software to edit and create the finnished product, my dvd burner is also not installed on my computer with any type of software, it is a dell product, I am also open to any recommendations as far as burning software.

I know this will cost me a few bucks for the stuff I need and if someone can help me out here I would really, really be thankful

Michael

mrmagicbizz@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You'll need a hardware capture card. Preferably with s-video in.

Perhaps this thread can be of help...

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic373845.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Without a firewire port on your camera, I have yet to figure out how to import a analog camera into my computer.
    There are a couple of options I have done in this instance.
    I have bought a Sony DRC TRV model camera which is the only 8mm camera that I know of on the market which has a firewire port. (Around $200 plus a firewire cable $30)
    Buy a converter such as a ADVC-55 which converts analog to digital
    (Around $150 plus a firewire cable )
    Import it into a DVD burner, burn it as a DVD and then import it into your computer (you will lose some quality and you also need the right hardware for that and a DVD burner
    Buy a new camera which has a firewire port (Varies)
    Take it to a local video production company, supply an external hard drive for them and they can make it as a AVI file. (Hard drive $150)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The CCD TRV88 is a Hi8 (good quality when Hi8 tape is used) model that outputs best with S-Video and analog stereo audio cables.

As said the computer will require a capture card with S-Video inputs. Some capture cards have internal audio, others require that you use the computer's "line in" audio input.

What is your budget?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your help !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    8mm tapes look better run through a higher-end Hi8 camera, much like VHS tapes look better run through higher-end S-VHS VCR decks. I do this all the time. It's actually a pretty cheap conversion for customers, about $10-20 per tape, including correction of video levels/color and audio noise/levels.

This is another one of those projects where, if you have just a couple of tapes, it's often a better idea to outsource it to a professional service that specializes in it.

Then take the edit-ready file (HuffYUV on an external hard drive), and edit in whatever software, and then author and burn to DVD.

You can cut your costs quite a bit with intelligent outsource and workflows.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote