VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeay! I managed to encode and burn my first AVI to a DVD.

Now I would like to know whether it is possible to turn off the subtitle. What I had now is the subtitle being burned into the movie and it sticks there. Is there any way I can do to make the subtitle capable to be ON and OFF?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maruz
    Yeay! I managed to encode and burn my first AVI to a DVD.

Now I would like to know whether it is possible to turn off the subtitle. What I had now is the subtitle being burned into the movie and it sticks there. Is there any way I can do to make the subtitle capable to be ON and OFF?
    If your subtitles were already "burnt in" into source picture (AVI) of course you can't turn them on/off on DVD same as you couldn't with the AVI file.

But if your AVI file had "external" subtitles (usually in a text file with same file name as your avi file) there is no problem to make them as usual/typical subtitles that can be switched on and off at any time on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. The subtitle is a separate .srt file. Not embedded from the beginning. After encoding with ffmpegx and burning. I tried turning it off but I can't.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No. The subtitle is a separate .srt file. Not embedded from the beginning. After encoding with ffmpegx and burning. I tried turning it off but I can't.
    Well, I don't know how it did encoding. I have never used ffmpegx, but I'm guessing if its just encoder? If so then it is not able to add "switchable" subtitles because that would have to be done during VOB muxing / dvd authoring level, not encoding.
    So most likely it just "burn them in" into picture during encoding and there is nothing you can do to "turn them off" from it.
    If I'm correct, then do it again but remove the .srt file from the folder where your avi is so this encoder will not automatically add them again.
    Once your mpeg files are done you need to author them as dvd (basically it is encapsulating mpeg video and ac3 or mp2 audio and graphical subtitles into VOBs) search our guides section for a guide "how to add subtitle to DVD" and choose the one that suits you best (I'm sure there must be few). You will need something to do reversed-OCR for your text subtitles (to make subpictures from text) since you want them in a normal "switchable" way.

OR
    I remember I used to use few times tool called AVI2DVD or AVI2SVCD, a nice old app, which you could use to do everything at once - it encodes AVI to MPEG-2, and allows adding .srt subtitles. It didn't make ane menus I think, but once your menu-less DVD is created (you get proper VOBs as result) you can use something else to add dvd menus if you really need them (re-authoring dvd will not affect your already included in the stream subtitles)
    Cannot be simpler than that
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you make it clear. I get what you mean. I'll look into this and play around.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think you make it clear. I get what you mean. I'll look into this and play around.

Thank you!
    YW
    Quote Quote