VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several hundred mpg files that I use on occasion in creating DVDs. Problem is, these files are all of varying volumes. So, I've decided would be a good idea to normalize. To do so, I'm planning on using TMPGenc's MPEG tools.

Here's how I see it working:
    1. Demultiplex the mpg file
    2. Convert the resulting AC3 sound file to MP3
    3. Use mp3gain to normalize the volume
    4. Convert the MP3 back to AC3
    5. Multiplex back to the original file

I have several hundred files. Does anyone know of a way to do any of this (other than step #3) in batches? I have used vdownloader in the past in order to convert but as far as I know, I can only do that one at a time.

I would like to hear if anyone has ideas on how to do this. Thanks for any and all help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use batchdemux to demux the files and then use https://forum.videohelp.com/topic317891.html to normalize the ac3 files.

I don't know how to mux easily back everything though. Maybe soopafresh could adjust the script to do everything, demux, normalize and mux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the batchdemux, that looks like it will help me out with #1.

Reason I wanted to use mp3gain is that the files I have are generally too LOUD. I can reset them lower in mp3gain, but I'm not sure if that works with the script (it would be nice if it would though). But I'm not sure that it even is something I can or should do (going from ac3 to mp3 back to ac3 again).

Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Use batchdemux to demux the files and then use https://forum.videohelp.com/topic317891.html to normalize the ac3 files.

I don't know how to mux easily back everything though. Maybe soopafresh could adjust the script to do everything, demux, normalize and mux.
    I've never been able to automatically remux the audio and video for mpeg files without having A/V sync problems. That's why I never released an MPEGgain script. It wasn't reliable enough.

To the OP, it would be better to convert the AC3 to WAV, normalize, then convert back to AC3. It'll be less of a quality loss rather than AC3 to MP3 then back to AC3

TMPGenc DVD Author has a normalize audio function. Might save some time.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

"Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lj01
    But I'm not sure that it even is something I can or should do (going from ac3 to mp3 back to ac3 again).
    Preferably not.

You can use Wavegain on wave audio, the command line app can be scripted, or there are several GUIs. That is the original ReplayGain algorithm as used by MP3Gain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD has this, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of the great info - I will check out wavegain.

I do use TDA3 and have been very happy with it - I've tried using the normalize function but I don't know if it works like I want it to - in the sense that, if I have 10 clips in a project of varying volume, and then use the normalize feature to 95%, would it just normalize them all at 95% of their current volume? Or does it somehow take into account the other clips? I wouldn't think so, but that would be what I would want it to do.

Or...is there some way, when normalizing in TDA, to set a db level? I don't see it but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks again for the great info!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lj01
    Thanks for all of the great info - I will check out wavegain.

I do use TDA3 and have been very happy with it - I've tried using the normalize function but I don't know if it works like I want it to - in the sense that, if I have 10 clips in a project of varying volume, and then use the normalize feature to 95%, would it just normalize them all at 95% of their current volume? Or does it somehow take into account the other clips? I wouldn't think so, but that would be what I would want it to do...
    Well how does the end result sound? Does the volume if each clip now seem equal?

Normalizing doesn't "somehow take into account the other clips", it sets each one separately to a specific target, not simply raising or lowering by a certain percentage. My old version of Nero Vision allows manual volume changes for each clip, but it does not 'normalize', while apps like Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD and Audacity (on the audio side) allow manual volume adjustments or actual 'normalization'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
    Quote Quote