VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I downloaded this program on my home computer and have had no problems with it. However I have had the IT guys install it on my work computer to convert a few vids for work and I can't even to get it to load a video.

Basically I go to open video, select desktop to retrieve it from and it doesn't recognise the AVI file I have on the desktop as a video file, so it won't let me open it. The Open window is set to show all files but it isn't showing all files.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you play that same video? If not, maybe you need to install a codec for that video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it plays fine on my computer. The reason I am putting it in the program though is to convert it to another format. You see the production people I need to send it to are saying that file and another one I have sent them is corrupted. I'm not sure how they are corrupted if I can view them though. So I thought if I change it to another format that might help.

Is there some way of scanning a video to find out what problems may be occurring?
    Quote Quote  
  4. you can try gspot and mediainfo for more information

what mediaplayer are you using on the work pc that plays these files normally?

Maybe the IT guys goofed up or install got corrupted. Try running avidemux off a usb stick or download to your desktop (there is an installed version, and one version that runs separately), or do you need permission for the work pc to do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both videos play fine with Windows Media Player 9 and Media Player Classic. Thanks for the links! I'll have a go running it off the USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately it won't let me download avidemux to my USB. Work blocks me from downloading the file myself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You probably can't download any other programs or converters either. Try downloading to a desktop or different location

You will probably need your IT/tech guys to give you permissions or poke a hole in the firewall (open some ports)

You might have restrictions placed on avidemux too, and/or other programs by your techies
    Quote Quote