VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone!

I'm gonna need a tool for putting subtitles to a divx avi (hardcode) but only for some parts of it (like forced DVD subtitles). I don't want to re-encode the whole content, but only the parts that need to be subtitled. Well, I could split it hundred times and re-encode them, then rejoin by VirtualDub, but this is a lot of work and a waste of time. Is there a tool that makes this easier?

Thanks
    Zuja
    Quote Quote  
  2. If they have to be hardcoded into the video then it'll have to be reencoded. Otherwise just create the subs and leave them external, to be played along with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've did this with AVI movies that have small numbers of forced subs ('Taken' was the last one;it had around a dozen).
    Note the times that the subs start/stop and use the 'Blend' feature with the Textsub filter.
    Turn the filter on/off at the appropriate time.
    If 'Smart rendering' is set along with the selection of the same compressor as the source, then the only encoding is in the frames with the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And for this one you said a hundred times. So, what's the big deal? It's already been severely degraded when being converted to AVI the first time. The further degradation from another reencode will be minimal, if you know what you're doing. Except for the parts with the subs themselves, because of the video being ruined in the region immediately around the subs.
    Quote Quote