VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 questions.

1. I "seem to" be getting spotty performance from the pro version. I say "Seem to" because I ran the free version a bit but really never did any timed testing. But I was expecting a real boast. Here is where I'm confused and wondering if something else is the issue. This is not a speed demon machine 1.7Ghz with 1Gmemory. However, the processor is not pegged (in fact at times it is at 10%) nor does it look like it is out of memory. However, the application is very unreponsive to requests to expand or minimize or move it and the machine is overall sluggish. Any thoughts/suggestions? I am only converting 1 VOB file - the main move - to MPG in the process.

2. Is it possible - once I figure out my other performance issue - to run muliple copies of the product? Is it wise to do so?

Thanks. HTBH.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have found that, if you look at the VOB2MPG.exe in the processes list of the Task Manager and right-click on it and examine the priority, it is set to Low. Be elevating it to Normal I have seen an improvement in responsiveness but am still too new to the program to say for certain if it improves its overall performance. Theoretically it should.
    M. R. Murry
    Quote Quote  
  3. A program like VOB2MPG is I/O limited because it is mostly hard drive activity (it is waiting for the hard drive most of the time). Converting VOB files on one drive to MPG files on another drive will increase throughput. Changing it's process priority will not help unless your CPU is busy doing something else (like encoding a video).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CPU @ "LOW Priority" is so that other programs can share in the CPU if required. If nothing else needs the CPU - a process at "low" priority will use all it needs. i.e. VOB2MPG will yield to other processes IF required, but not otherwise.
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote