VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been googling for ages but I can't find a solution - I just want to be able to open an mts file (from an FZ38 AVCHD Lite camera) into VirtualDub to trim, apply filters like deshake and save to AVI (with ffdshow) for editing afterwards in VideoPad.

At present I use Prism Converter to process mts to AVI using ffdshow, and I suppose I could open those AVIs in VirtualDub and re-save but I'd rather do it in one pass without a generation loss, if possible. I installed FFDSHOW with the VirtualDub plugins selected, but I'm lost now.... help would be appreciated! I'd rather not have to mess about with AVISYNTH scripts if possible, I just want to be able to drag-n-drop mts files into VirtualDub, do my stuff and save to AVI for use with VideoPad.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe with the Directshow input plugin http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=15093&hl=mts&s=3790621a63623dfc035fab2dc818ce1c

But I don't think it will work that well and then you have to use avisynth (DirectShowSource("video.mts") ).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if the directshow input plugin works, you do not need to use avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, editing my reply to what I tried to say. .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do I enable input plugins, please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Extract the .vdplugin file from the zip file and put in the Plugins32 in the Virtualdub folder(if it doesn't exists then just create it).

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.5.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but...

NewMovieFromFile Error:
    (my mts path+filename)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oooh! Got it...

Pic was very helpful...

(in https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/virtualdub-now-has-a-directshow-driver-plugin-t348265.html )

Having selected the Input Driver and the mts file... it loads and opens! I've applied deshaker to my test clip and it works a charm! Thank you so much!

Is there any way to make that automatic (selecting the Input Driver) for drag-n-drop ease of use? At the moment I have to select all file types, click on the file I want, then select Input Driver which keeps the filename in the box... a bit longwinded....?

Cheers 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the very reason I use Avisynth. You can create a script once and use it time and time again only needing to change the one line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may have to bite the bullet and investigate batch operation, it is getting tiresome doing loads of clips!

As I've said at
    http://www.vimeo.com/groups/avchdlite/forumthread:8538
    - I must try not to forget to set the frame rate to 25 before saving the deshaked clip to AVI - or else I end up with a large file with 50fps! Even so, I'm getting AVI files larger than the original MTS files this way even though I'm using the same FFDSHOW options as I use from Prism! One 21.8MB file ended up as 80-ish MB with 50fps, and is still 56MB as 25fps - GSpot says it's 34500kbps (and confirms 25fps), which is 2x the 17000kbps specified AVCHD bitrate. A bit puzzling!

And one other problem - if I set the frame rate to 25 BEFORE doing the deshake then the deshake doesn't work. I have to make sure it's 50fps as it was, then do the deshake, then set to 25 and save. Bit of a hassle!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One day some saintly programmer will sort all this out, and we'll look back and laugh at how fiddly it all was.... I hope!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJ Peg View Post
    One day some saintly programmer will sort all this out, and we'll look back and laugh at how fiddly it all was.... I hope!
    Not anytime soon it seems.

When i try opening an MTS Virtualdub says "does not have a video stream". Using the direct show driver, and ffdshow
    Quote Quote  
  13. You can load avchd lite into vdub with avisynth and ffmpegsource2
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just tested the directshow input driver - it works here with some avchd lite clips

You have to select it specifically when opening in the open dialog box (select it from the drop down menu)

Haali media splitter and ffdshow
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can load avchd lite into vdub with avisynth and ffmpegsource2
    Yeah, that doesn't sound easy. Plus I prefer portable software if possible.
    ffdshow is not good enough, one also has to install something called ffmpegsource2?

I just tested the directshow input driver - it works here with some avchd lite clips
    I don't know what lite is, and they probably aren't. But thanks for testing.

You have to select it specifically when opening in the open dialog box (select it from the drop down menu)

Haali media splitter and ffdshow
    I know. When I select to open that way it doesn't list the file - it doesn't list mts files - does yours?

And if I force the name I get the error I told you about.

Of course I'm using CCCP to install Haali and ffdshow - but wouldn't that be good enough.
    Last edited by branch; 26th Feb 2012 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried installing in a sandbox and whipped out Graphedit to see what happened. In the sandbox the graph goes straight to ffdshow, but on the live system the file is being decoded by "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" (even if ffdshow has full merit), guess that decoder doesn't support VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You need to use preferred filter tweaker

Plus I prefer portable software if possible.
    Then you don't want to use vdub - it relies on system installed VFW codecs , and if you use the directshow driver, system installed splitter & codecs

Maybe you should have started another thread then? This thread title is about AVCHD Lite. It's a subset of AVCHD, usually 720p30 with frame repeat flag (or 720p25 in PAL regions)

Regardless, the answer is the same for AVCHD or AVCHD Lite regarding loading into vdub

(And if you have neither of these, then you REALLY should have used a different thread )
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to use preferred filter tweaker
    Ah.. by now I've renamed the "msmpeg2vdec.dll" and "msmpeg2adec.dll" files instead - perhaps that tweaker is more elegant.

Plus I prefer portable software if possible.
    Then you don't want to use vdub - it relies on system installed VFW codecs , and if you use the directshow driver, system installed splitter & codecs
    Apart from that.

Maybe you should have started another thread then?
    I assumed AVCHD is AVCHD .

This thread title is about AVCHD Lite. It's a subset of AVCHD, usually 720p30 with frame repeat flag (or 720p25 in PAL regions)

Regardless, the answer is the same for AVCHD or AVCHD Lite regarding loading into vdub
    So not a problem then
    Quote Quote  
  19. I just got this working:

Import AVCHD video in the form of an .MTS file to VirtualDub using avisynth and DirectShowSource() function. Only needed tool was Haali splitter. This allowed me to save the file an avi using any encoder available to VirtualDub.

The direct show plug-in for virtual dub _did not_ work alone or after Haali was installed.

Lee

*Using a Canon HG20
    Quote Quote