VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to upload a video to youtube and make it fill the entire youtube player WITHOUT black lines on the top, bottom or sides. I'm pretty sure this resolution is 960x480 but I don't know how to resize the video. I've tried Virtuadub but it makes the video skippy and unrecognizable and I don't think it did what I wanted it to anyway. Hopefully someone can help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format are you saving as in virtualdub? Under video->compression and audio->compression. I would probably use xvid and mp3 or maybe x264 and mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Clifurd
    I'm pretty sure this resolution is 960x480...
    It's not. You might try 848x480.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I measured the Youtube player in it's full (HD Mode) and it is 960x480. That is what the entire black box is measured out to. Here is an example. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8kuuYVvK7M

That's what I want. I want it to be full screen no black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, thank you Baldrick. I've had that problem with compression or no compression and just raw data output before I just wasn't familiar with Virtuadub yet. So I started using the Xvid MPEG-4 compression and now it's fine. Make the videos 960x480 and you'll fill the whole youtube player. When I first got Virtuadub it warned me that I had "illegal" Xvid3 or something. I have no idea what that means but if it's illegal I don't want it on my system. I don't know where it came from and I'd like to know why VD said it was illegal. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VD is just telling you that the video apparently isn't at Xvid specifications. Probably the framesize isn't a multiple of 2 or something else minor. Nothing to do with the law. If you can open the file in VD, you should be able to re-encode it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Clifurd
    I measured the Youtube player in it's full (HD Mode) and it is 960x480.
    You're right; I apologize. It used to be 16:9 (1.78:1). It seems to me to be pretty silly to give it a 2:1 ratio when no videos with which I'm familiar are created in that ratio. It would be easy enough to convert any source to 2:1 with a combination of cropping and resizing. You might lose important information, though. Me, I'd upload in the original and intended aspect ratio. Who cares about the bars?

In his reply to a comment the creator of that video said he just resized it. That would mean it has the wrong aspect ratio, although it's hard to tell with an animation sometimes. But if that's what you want, you only need to resize, with no cropping. This is easily accomplished within VDub.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I got the message about the illegal xvid 3 when I opened Vdub for the very first time. It happened before I ever opened a video file in it. Thanks for everyone's help, I've got it figured out, Here's an example of the video I did, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow60sgFtlaM If you watch the video on my channel, you will see the black bars on the top and bottom, if you aren't viewing via my channel, you have to make sure click HQ or it will not fill the entire youtube player. It's pretty nice to see a video that fills the entire player cause there's not that many of them out there. BUT...here's my question. If you watched the sonic video in the link, you can see it starts off on the white screen and says sega, it is obviously fullscreen with no black bars anywhere, but as the video gets going it seems as though there are still bars on the top and bottom but they are NOT BLACK?!!?!? The bars seem to change colors to try to match the colors on the video. Obviously white and black would be the easiest colors to have the bars match with but notice when the gameplay is actually going on, that the bars are light blue while the video is dark blue. Idk what caused this and I'm only about 80% sure that the original file did not contain this effect. Let me know what you think, otherwise I no longer need help resizing my video so I guess this thread can be closed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Clifurd
    It's pretty nice to see a video that fills the entire player...
    Well, not if things that are supposed to be round are really oval shaped, as seems to be the case with your video. In my opinion.

As for those different colored bars, did you check your video before uploading? Because as far as I know YouTube only adds black bars. My guess is that you encoded it like that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I believe the colored bars are added by the console. You wouldn't see them while playing on a TV because of overscan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Clifurd
    No, I got the message about the illegal xvid 3 when I opened Vdub for the very first time. It happened before I ever opened a video file in it.
    There can be nothing illegal about xvid or VirtualDub since both are open source software.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KK thanks guys! I DO agree with you about circles being ovals. I don't like it either. I could be uploading these with the HD option but I'm not sure If I want Full Screen HQ or 4:3 HD
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so somewhere down the line I forgot how exactly I made the couple videos that I did. I was attempting to make another video the same way, but a 1:50 video is more than 200MB and I've tried the XVidMP4 compression. I don't know what to do now, all I want to do is resize the video. Any ideas on how to make this video MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller filesize? it's less than 2 min of video c'mon lol
    Quote Quote  
  14. file size = bitrate * running time

If you want a smaller file use a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to effect video quality too much, I know it shouldn't be as big of file sizes as it is because the other ones I did weren't. I will try to take quality down just a little to change this. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  16. use avidemux and 1280x720 works fine, for 480 i don't know
    Quote Quote  
  17. This thread seems to be ended, but there are a few points that need to be clarified.

More important than filling up all the YouTube display window, currently at 960x480, is the aspect ratio of the video you want played. When the video to upload has a 16:9 source, you can't fill up the whole YouTube player window, if you want your video displayed at the correct aspect ratio.

When the aspect ratio of the source is less than 2.00:1, you must have vertical black side bars. When the aspect ratio is more than 2.00:1 (like 2.21:1, or 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, etc...), you must have horizontal top and bottom black bars.

An example of how I upload a 16:9 source that I want to be 480 pixels high. You have two options:
    1. You can encode your video at a DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) of 16:9, use square pixels and a video resolution of 864x480.
    2. You can encode your video at a DAR of 3:2, use anamorphic pixels with a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 32/27 (3/2 * 32/27 = 16/9) and a video resolution of 720x480 .
    I use the second method, which gives a smaller file size (faster to upload). YouTube re-encodes in both cases to FLV container, AVC video at around 1200 kbs, AAC audio at around 120 kbs and a video resolution of 864x480. Since there are only 864 pixels horizontally, 44 pixels vertical black bars are added at the sides.

I should add that the video to upload must have enough video and audio bitrate for YouTube to encode at the parameters mentioned above. For anamorphic 720x480, I normally use Xvid for video at 2560 kbs and MP3 stereo audio at 160 or 192 kbs, in AVI container.
    Quote Quote