VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm completely new to the world of video editing and conversion so please bear with me...

I recently purchased the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR to capture HD content from my cable box to store on my PC. I'd also like to take some of these HD vids and "downconvert" them to share with others. I figured one way would be to cut the video size, frame rate (60 to 30), and lower the bitrate. I discovered AviDemux and it seems to be capable of doing this.

What I start of doing is cutting the files (.ts) with TsCutter. I use the following settings which were recommended to me: cut-in: I-frame, cut-out: B-frame.

I then import this into AviDemux and change the size and frame rate. From there I encode the file using x264 with average bitrate 2-pass and with an avi container.

This is where I run into a problem. The video looks and operates fine but for some reason in the very beginning (usually within the first 10 frames) the very last frame of the video flashes and fades pixelated just for a split second but it's kind of frustrating. I've been trying to learn about b-frames, i-frames, and p-frames since I believe this has something to do with it.

So I'm not sure where in the process things have gone wrong whether it's the program, encoder, settings, container, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciate as I've been researching for the last few hours trying to figure this out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try both start and end cuts on I frames which are complete standalone frames. b and p are frames made up from changes in the video. only I frames are suitable for most editors to use as edit points.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    Quote Quote