VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. kinda sad how this is going. remembering the good days of popcorn and coke in a theater.....wahhhhhhhhh...good ole times
    Quote Quote  
  2. Too much concentration on broadcast picture quality and not enough on content quality.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The studios seem to be getting petty to boot. Terminator Salvation Blu-Ray only will have a director's cut, 3 min longer. The standard DVD will not. I've heard it suggested in trade mags that the really big titles should be released on Blu-Ray only.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yep, Sales are down because people don't have money AND many or most new movies aren't worth having!
    Sure some people like some of them and others like others of them, but in general the movies are nowhere as good as the used to be. Many people don't like any of them!
    They keep rehashing old stuff because they are to stupid and lazy to come up with new ideas!
    Many people like me will watch and prefer the old original movie as it was first made over the new hack just released!

Netflix and RedBOX have nothing to do with lost sales here! I stopped buying long long time ago, barely rent at local rental store either. When I do rent one it's something old normally like Leathal Weapon if I don't have that one, or Rambo, etc.... Even the old Police squad, Police Acadamy, etc... I rent if I don't have it. Some I don't want to watch enough to go out and buy or they cost too much still for being so old, or I just can't find them.
    I only had a Netflix account for a free 2 week trial once and dropped it then, I never ever have got a Redbox rental ever!
    The sales they have lost from me is because I just don't want their movies! I still spend allot of money on allot of stuff, but moveis is not one of those things any more.

I saw the 5 season set of the 1960's show Get Smart in the store once and was about to grab it. Oh my gosh, $150!!!
    NO WAY! I got all 3 seasons of Giligian's Island for $15 per season! What the heck makes Get Smart, almost a 45 year old show worth $30 per season? OK, it was a good show maybe, but still they already made their money on it for years of original play, 40 years syndication, etc... I do not support greed even if I did want to watch it again. I can do without! And for about 8-10 months I have not bought it and never will still unless the price drops to around $75 or less then I might?

I did just yesterday sign up for a Netflix account again. This is not going to hurt the DVD sales that they are already NOT getting from me! I did not buy DVD'S for months other than maybe a rare ocasion gettng an old $5 one.
    I guess I did just buy a $2 one Black Friday, oops sorry forgot about that one LOL
    My having a Netflix account means nothing in sales to them.
    UNLESS, I MAY rent a DVD on Netflix and like it enough to go buy the DVD to own! So the only thing here would be INCREASING sales perhaps! That $2 DVD I bought was Mummy 3, the one where they go to China, I never knew it existed so I grabbed it for the $2.
    Now, had I rented that on Netflix then I would known it was made, then I might have looked to buy it somewhere for $10 or less as that's all I think it was worth to me.

That would be the same thing if I ever use REDBOX, I have not been buying now, so if I got a REDBOX movie I like enough I might go out and buy it later.
    Only way I would use REDBOX is if I get a fast food coupon for the free rental!
    I been thinking about that. I have to go there to do WIFI, buy anything get a free WIFI coupon for 2 hours.
    I stay for about 4 hours when I go to WIFI. Teusday nights, buy any happy meal for $1.99 and get a free Redbox rental!

WOW, Food, a toy, my WIFI coupon, AND a free movie for $1.99! WHAT A DEAL!
    I need to go for a 4 hours stay, so $4.?? with tax for 2 of everything
    Does that hurt movie sales? Nope, I wasn't going to buy any DVD's anyway, and when I have looked at Redbox a little I don't see anything I even want for free really. I might just collect 10 free rentals then Ebay those rental coupons LOL
    If I sell the coupons for $5 then I might buy a DVD because I rarely look at anything not on the $5 rack anymore, so then the DVD would be free to me
    Or I might just spend the $5 on 2 more happy meals instead
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I bought my first DVDs in six month -- 4 box sets for $41 from DVD Planet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well it's always easier to point the finger and blame others, and that is what they are doing instead of blaming themselves as they should.

Rentals in my area are way down also and have been dropping for years! Grocery store no longer rents, had 2 rentals stores, now we have 1 and it suffers!
    Lets ask WHY instead of blaming stuff that is not the problem!

I asked Postal people I know and there are only a few Netflix disks passing through our post office, I asked long time ago and also recently. So if the Post Office is not delivering many disks then Netflix is NOT a problem in this area!

Redbox, we just got one in this area not that long ago, it was NOT a problem then when the video rentals went way down around here! Sit and count sometime how many people are returning or taking out a Redbox disk. I have to go to WIFI allot for large content files I buy, I'm on dialup so I spend allot of time at WIFI and that is the ONLY Redbox location in our area. I never see more than 10 people a night at the Redbox, this is about 4PM-11PM roughly many times on various days etc...
    Yes, if I have to make the trip to town for WIFI I stay long hours and do allot!
    It's the most popular fast food in the area also so stays pretty busy. 10 people? Some just walk up and drop off a disk and walk away, some have no disk and stand there and rent one. Sometimes a person will return and rent another disk at same time. So of 10 people less than 10 disks have been rented during prime time rental time!
    I have been there during the day also and not many people go around the Redbox, a few here and there so maybe average 5 a day around Breakfast and Lunch times. It certainly is no waiting line to get to the only Redbox in town!
    Since a friend owns the one rental store I had an interest in how many people use Redbox when it went in and that's why I often watch when there anyway for long periods of time. Even on weekends it does not get very busy here.

So when there was a Grocery store and 2 rental stores a few years ago they were all 3 doing fine! Go to any of them and there was almost always people there renting movies. During the 4PM -11PM hours Redbox has 10 people walk by the stores used to have several people at a time in them constantly, never see the store empty and they were all renting! Far more people every night in 3 different rentals than I see a Redbox get even on a Friday or Saturday!

The grocery store decided there was more money to be made at less cost with other products like tobacco and stopped renting. 1 of the rental stores shut down, that leaves 1 store to handle all those customers everyone used to have and it suffers now! Struggling to survive as the only rental store, but yet Redbox and Netflix are not a big deal in this area!
    That can mean only 1 thing! People are not renting anymore like they used to from anywhere! 1 Store with almost no competition and it's not making it on rentals. The tanning booth in the back room makes far more that the rentals do.

Over the years Satellite has gotten far better and cheaper than it used to be. No longer do you have to pay the big bucks to buy your dish! Cable and satellite offer 1000 channels! Both offer pay movies. If you want to watch it it's probably on TV on some channel this week. The TV services of some types I think have a watch on demand type service also I think.
    When I was visiting a friend this summer she missed something she wanted to watch, punched a few buttons on the remote and was watching it soon after. I don't know what that was, but it was not online Netflix or anything.
    Many people like me got fed up with crappy TV and movies and just do without! Many of us don't want to have to run somewhere simply to return a movie when we don't need to go anywhere else, so we just don't rent then we don't have to return!
    Gas costs over 2X what it used to, so a trip to just rent a movie for the night and just to return it later it costs over 2X as much also. Costs many or most of us more in gas than we spend on the rental!
    More people have computers, that means more time spent online or playing games or doing some type of work, of course all that means less time to watch movies.
    Over the years since VHS and DVDs came out many of us have bought up a large collection and we are happy just watching mostly we already have on disk and tapes.
    We don't like the new movies so no need to rent them.
    We can buy a DVD for $20 or less compared to renting it for $3, then we don't have to return it. We can always sell it used, give it to a friend as a gift, or trade with someone for some other movies.
    Wal-mart always has good older movies for $5 now, I can buy 4 of those for the cost of 1 new release, what's the better value? 4 DVD's of good old movies or 1 new DVD of a crappy movie.
    Also what's the better value, rent 1 $3 movie and have to return it, or Buy a good $5 movie and own it? I normally choose to spend the extra $2 to buy one if I do anything.

After we consider all the above reasons rentals and sales are down, then we can add in people are having money problems in a bad economy in many places. 1 place here employed about 35 people shut down and another place with lots of employees cut back to 3 days a week, both places use lots of hardwood so all those people out cutting trees and driving trucks etc... are also having troubles since they can't sell to a business that ain't working!
    This is a bad chain reaction of people without jobs can't spend money on luxuries like movies or eating out in restaurants etc.. so then other businesses suffer also and much of the country has this problem now, many places on a large scale and some other places not as bad.
    If I were worried about losing my house or car the last thing I need is to buy a new DVD!

I just signed up for Netflix. Even though my friend owns the only rental store here I want older movies they don't have, it's a small store and I either own or have seen the movies they have many times now and I have no use for the new releases of most movies so I hardly rent there anymore because I don't want to watch what they have.
    Since I don't rent anywhere now and never buy a new release anyway, Netflix has no effect on my spending habits elsewhere and is not a factor in anything. What I plan to get from Netflix mostly are old movies and TV shows I want to watch once for old times and would not buy anyway. Some I would and will buy if I find them for $5 but most I would not.

When I was in the big city for a few days the big rental stores don't have the stuff I want so I did not rent anything at all from them either so I was in a hotel with a DVD player and nothing to watch, so I played with my laptop instead of watching anything. Didn't know I would be there so long or would have taken DVDs with me.

As for someone mentioned Collage kids doing Netflix and not renting like they used to, maybe some, but my kid is in collage and no-one she knows has Netflix or rents anywhere much either. They have FREE cable so lots to watch at no cost, then there are all the online games many play over the free internet there. Far more kids are playing more games it seems than watching movies or TV and it's all free at Collage there!

A good thing about Netflix is when I called support I was told it's fine for me and the kid to use online movies at the same time anywhere we have internet. Now the kid can watch the stuff she wants at collage that we can't find anywhere!
    Big deal though! I asked how it was working, she said she watched almost half of a movie and it worked fine she thought and hadn't tried it since. 2 days and she hasn't watched a single movie other than part of one to test it!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every X-Mass I use to buy DVDs as a present to myself.
    This year is the first since 2000 that I don't do it.
    No presents for me this year! No money to spear...

Yes, DVDs sales are down. I can see why very easy.
    Quote Quote