VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the problem is nepotism going way back to the 30's and 40's. The business itself along with staring roles has been bequeathed to people who should be out laying bricks. Today's stars are usually character actors and not real actors like Anthony Hopkins who can play any role. The old time stars made it on raw talent and a lot of it. It was a dog eat dog business.

Disney knows what they are doing. The Mickey Mouse Club has produced a lot of stars over the years. Britney and Justin got their start on the MMC. They were little kids with real talent and not just somebody's kids or nieces or nephews.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yeah, as a kid (in the early 1990s and late 1980s) I can remember going to the video store to rent whatever the latest thing was or as much as I could get my hands on from the horror movies section. As I got a bit older, I started to venture into the classics section a bit more and by 1998 or 1999 all of my local stores had pretty much dried up and what was left only stocked the 300 most popular titles and new releases.

We actually had several independent video stores and local chains in town until Hollywood Video showed up around 1993 and they started to dry up. Luckily they actually would stock a lot of the older tapes and ended up with quite an impressive library. Blockbuster moved into town in 1997 though and any remaining indy stores went under and Hollywood Video started shedding all their inventory and stocking ridiculous numbers of new releases to compete with Blockbuster's strategy.

It was around this time that I discovered Netflix and guess what I rent? The movies I liked when I was a kid or classic films that came out decades before I was even born. I actually prefer B&M stores to online distribution models, but there is no where else to go at this point. Hollywood Video (which was started here) is on it's last legs and I'm sure Blockbuster isn't far behind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's exactly why I switched to Netflix. Selection. My kids like the "Critters" movies. One weekend they wanted to rent one and our local Blockbuster no longer had them... ANY of them. I started to look around and noticed that the selection at the store was almost non-existent. I browsed Netflix and they had almost everything. I was a customer that weekend.

So, with respect to the theory that the local stores are going under because of us "lazy" folk (okay.. I actually have NO respect for that theory. It was a pompous and ignorant thing to say) I switched because Netflix was willing to stock a vast selection of movies while my local Blockbuster was only stocking new releases.

I'm sure Blockbuster will blame Netfilx and Redbox for their downfall too, but they did it to themselves. I was a loyal customer until I couldn't rent what I wanted any more.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stop going to blockbuster when alot of their movies wouldnt play on my dvd player. The disc were in horrible shape. Scratches and such, hell I had one I rented that looked they smeared a pbj sandwich on it while eating KFC. The girl at the counter told me, I dont know how that would happen. I was like because you didnt check the disc when you got it back or when you rented it to me. My favorite excuse from them..Maybe your dvd player is too old. I have four of them..I told them to pick one. It wouldnt play on their players either. I was glad when they went out of business here..local dvd rental place(which has been here for 20+ yrs)bought their stock. The owner told me they had to put most of it in the garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Oh, so that's why we'll probably have at least one or two CSI variants running on network TV every year from now on. (runs)

Why do studios seem reluctant to make Westerns, these days? (Not that I'd watch them, but there does seem to be a general reluctance.)
    I'm not certain why they don't want to do them anymore. Maybe they are scared that all they could possibly come up with is bad remakes of the spaghetti westerns. The Good The Bad and The Ugly remains one of my all time classic favorites. They need to leave that one alone or Dirty Harry will be asking them if they are feeling lucky...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobread
    Britney and Justin got their start on the MMC. They were little kids with real talent and not just somebody's kids or nieces or nephews.
    Real talent? Are you for real? Are you sober?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surprised no one has mentioned piracy - when a 1080p mkv of the latest film is available on the net on the day of BD/DVD release, I'm pretty sure that many will be downloading as opposed to buying.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wasn't that the New Mickey Mouse Club?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think that there is a view that Science Fiction films fill the same niche as Western's once did. You can actually draw a lot of parallels between the two genres.

Via Wikipedia -- apparently there is a term for this -- "Space Western"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Surprised no one has mentioned piracy - when a 1080p mkv of the latest film is available on the net on the day of BD/DVD release, I'm pretty sure that many will be downloading as opposed to buying.
    No one here really does that. Many people will make backups of their disks to protect them, but this isn't really a "downloading" crowd.

I DO keep hearing that a LOT of people are doing it (usually from some Hollywood studio's press release) but I don't understand why. Long download time for low quality crappy movie?

No. I don't believe that the 'downloading" problem is as bad as the media says it is. Just my opinion though...maybe everyone is doing it...
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Nitemare
    I DO keep hearing that a LOT of people are doing it (usually from some Hollywood studio's press release) but I don't understand why. Long download time for low quality crappy movie?
    If it's a straight rip from a blu-ray disc there is no loss of quality. Even if it's reduced to 1280x720 and sized to fit on a dual layer DVDR it can be good quality. And the time involved isn't the downloader's time. He just spends a minute or two setting up the download then goes about his business. So what if it takes a day or two to get the whole file. Aside from the instant gratification issue, obviously.

Originally Posted by Nitemare
    I don't believe that the 'downloading" problem is as bad as the media says it is.
    Of course it's not. The truth is somewhere in between what Hollywood says ($billions lost) and what the file sharer's say (Hollywood gains from free publicity).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a downloader either. How can studio's claim to loose billions when the market value of a movie one dollar? Redbox, my local video store, my local grocery stores and Netflix are all about a buck. Even Blockbuster is working with NCR to come up with their own dollar kisco/machine. Must be that new new math.

On westerns, I just watched "Virginia City" with Errol Flynn, Randolf Scott and Humphrey Bogart. It was great. I'd rather watch old B&W movies from Netflix that the new crap that comes out every week.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, I am not a downloader either, mostly out of laziness. Several years ago, I tried to get a movie I wanted to see (Kill Bill, I believe) and ended up with several copies of "Deuce Bigalow" instead. That pretty much spoiled me to the whole experience!

To be totally honest (and I'm sure my memory is clouded by nostalgia) I really miss being able to go to the video store and look at the boxes. My parents never wanted to take me there though, because I wanted to read the descriptions to every movie in the store! I did find a lot of films this way though that I probably wouldn't consider renting (or be able to find) now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Now that I've transitioned to Blu-ray, I'm re-discovering some old movies.

Like "The Searchers". Real prototypical Western, although a bit gritty for the '50s. Lovely scenery and some unexpected humor. A product of its time, and it shows in lack of sympathy for the Indians, but it is what it is. Nice restoration job.

Or the slam-bang "Predator" (a guilty pleasure). Not visually stunning, but an improvement. With a big HDTV and a good sound system, it's like seeing it in the theater again, but better. :P

The only *new* release I foresee getting in the near future is LOTR on Blu-Ray. Not actually a new movie either, however. The studios really are making crap these days.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I agree with all of you.
    Let me recommend this little Canadian movie Pontypool (2008). Last week my friend brought over this low budgeted/ non promoted movie. I was shocked how great it was, and we watched it again next day. I plan to buy it when my next paycheck comes.
    Hollywood, make some good movies, we'll buy them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just watched a John Wayne movie called "McClintock" that was actually sympathetic to native Americans. But when sentence was passed against them and they were to go back to jail, Wayne just said, "Oh well...See ya!" and stumbled off...I LMAO...I'm like...WTF? Why was that inserted? Then I realized that this movie didn't have much of a plot...except a unfunny western version of "the taming of the shrew". Ten gallon hats only hold a few pints.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I just watched a John Wayne movie called "McClintock" that was actually sympathetic to native Americans. But when sentence was passed against them and they were to go back to jail, Wayne just said, "Oh well...See ya!" and stumbled off...I LMAO...I'm like...WTF? Why was that inserted? Then I realized that this movie didn't have much of a plot...except a unfunny western version of "the taming of the shrew". Ten gallon hats only hold a few pints.
    Are you sure he didn't call them "Pilgrums" at some point?

John did both western and WWII movies. He was iconic and memorable. Maybe not the perfect fit for the Bard or "Death Match Of The Honda Civics On Busy Downtown Streets XXXII", but still iconic in his own way over 6 decades of acting. I will always remember him for his role in The Longest Day...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    resubmitted in error. Op's please delete
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My favorite old western is "Maverick." I would love to watch that one again if it ever shows up on RTV.
    Maverick is a mainstay of the Western Channel. I don't know if you get it where you are, but it's there daily.

And let's not forget about The Wild, Wild West. That show is a classic - large budget for costumes and sets, great guest stars and a couple of pretty good guys as the leads, clever (in a science fiction sort of way) story lines and pretty funny in places. It was one of the first casualties of Hollywood's attempts to "get the violence out." It was fun.

There hasn't been a "fun" show on television in a long time.

As for current shows, I quite enjoy Criminal Minds. Unfortunately, it's about the only one except for Leverage. But, how much less violent is a serial killer hacking up people than James West kicking the asses of a band of bad guys?

Now, what do we get? A group of vastly obese people on a fat farm crying about how hard they're having to work to lose weight. OR - my absolute anti-favorite - a woman with 25 guys vying for her affections (or vice versa), some of whom get eliminated each week. What the hell's that all about? Who finds that entertaining?

And what studio would sponsor rendering that crap to DVD? And, if they did, who'd buy it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't consider Cspan a fun show?
    "Maverick" also had a cloned format with "Sugarfoot"
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Sugarfoot" was another old western I liked to watch.

Unfortunately, the Western Channel isn't included in my present cable package and like a lot of other members here, there's no room in my budget for cable service upgrades right now.

To get back on topic: I know for certain casual file sharing is common on college campuses. It has probably has had an impact on sales, since a lot of movies are targeted at that age group. Why buy the DVD when the guy down the hall in your dorm will give you a copy of his DVD rip or download for free?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Why buy the DVD when the guy down the hall in your dorm will give you a copy of his DVD rip or download for free?
    Might not be the guy down the hall. Might be the guy in the mirror.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't consider Cspan a fun show?
    Can't say I do and I damn sure wouldn't buy it on DVD...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why download crappy resolution and tie up my pc for hours when movies are readily available for one dollar? Makes no sense. I'm just not that cheap.

I checked out videoeta.com and this is another Tuesday that I won't bother to drive to my video store. Nothing out that I want to watch let alone buy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Nitemare
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    No one here really does that. Many people will make backups of their disks to protect them, but this isn't really a "downloading" crowd.

No. I don't believe that the 'downloading" problem is as bad as the media says it is. Just my opinion though...maybe everyone is doing it...
    I don't even begin to buy that. Where are the people in the DVD forum getting these Divx, MKV, etc. files? What are people using the WD and other media players for? I'm sure some people use stuff like that legitimately but I'd bet anything most don't. One glance at the DVD section and I don't see how anyone can say people here don't download. Maybe they don't admit to it but it's definitely going on.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have said this before. BR is too late, and online media will take over. This reminds me of Beta and VHS. Beta had a better picture quality but VHS had more content. Same here with BR and Online Media/Netflix/HULU. I use my XBOX 360 to watch Netflix and I use this as the major source for my video content. Netflix also has content in HD and even though it is not equal to BR, the quality is good enough (maybe not for some people who use this web site). I don't have to by disks and store them I could watch the content when ever I want, as many times as I want. Also if Netflix does not have the video I want then I look to the XBOX 360 Video Market place which has what I need (Also in HD) or I could check Hulu. This is what people will flow too, it's not lazy but convenient.

I don't own a BR player but I have watched BR and the picture is beautiful, but most people don't own BR players or have 50 inch TVs to watch BR. Netflix has the Roku player for $100.00 that will play on most TVs and is cheaper the "most" BR players.

Prediction: In the next 8 to 10 years, if Netflix was smart, they would stream your local news. And if they could do for every TV show what they do for NBC's Heroes (if Heroes is in your "Watch Instantly" queue each week the new episode is added to your queue.) This allows you to watch TV on your own terms. Better then a DVR because you don't have to wait for it to air and you will have access to all episodes when ever you want and they are not stored on my server or DVR. If Netflix makes this move your cable company will become nothing more then just an internet provider, and phone service.

Our generation would have a hard time not having 500 channels to watch but our children will not have this problem. I would hope that the TV and movie writers would than realize that they need to create better content because "Netflix ratings" says streamed "American Idol 30" had more viewers then latest movie "Batman 45 - And He Returns Again".

Just look at what happened with internet bandwidth over the past few years. I remember starting with 3Mbps now you can get 20Mbps and FIOS will offer 50Mbps which is around what most BR movies are encoded at.

Ray
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Where are the people in the DVD forum getting these Divx, MKV, etc. files? What are people using the WD and other media players for?
    As to (downloaded) MKVs, etc, I suspect hardly any of them are obtained legally. :P And if the "owner" (wink wink nudge nudge) had made them in the first place, he/she wouldn't be asking how to convert them to something else when posting a question in the forum. You see plenty of threads like that. The WD I can see being used for legitimate purposes, as in ripping discs you own for use in your media player or HTPC.

I actually looked into downloadable MKVs of HD movies some time ago, hoping to find a legal method, intending to use them on my HTPC. Found some very legitimate looking sites offering MKVs of recent movies in 720p and 1080p, in DVD5 and DVD9 sizes. The samples I got were quite good.

But a little more digging revealed most of the sites were based in Russia. Which isn't by itself conclusive, of course. But when I looked at definitely legal sites that have the blessing of the MPAA, guess what? Those sites had lots of restrictions and almost *non-existent* selection. They obviously weren't/aren't serious about providing content via that method. And the sites that do offer decent selection are almost certainly not legit.

So I got a Blu-Ray player (and a BD-ROM for my computer) instead. The discs stay with the player and HDTV in the living room, after being ripped/converted for use on the HTPC in my study. [shrugs]
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Two Questions,

1. Is videoeta.com legal?
    2. Why do Russian put out movies for others to download? What do they gain? It is not like fake Rolex watches, no money comes from on-line download.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by genki500

1. Is videoeta.com legal?
    Yes, they give out release dates from the manufacturer. There is nothing illegal about that.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by genki500
    Why do Russian put out movies for others to download? What do they gain? It is not like fake Rolex watches, no money comes from on-line download.
    They charge $5 bucks apiece, and you have to front a minimum of $15 to your "account" first. Or they did when I checked. Mind you, there are several distinct sites that look very similar, and surprise, they're all the same outfit.

They make a point of saying they're legal (which may be the case...in Russia), but if you look hard, they do say you need to comply with local laws where you reside. That could be problematic. :P

It's likely there are many more, and not just in Russia, but that's all I know. And then there's file-sharing, of course, surely there's little need to elaborate on that.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote