VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, first off I need a FREE Mpeg2 conversion program..All The programs I found on google were trials.. It needs to be compatible with all common file types (.AVI, .MKV. etc)

Now a few questions.. If I set the program to 8000 bitrate and 29 fps is that fine? I want it to be just as clear as the original.

Also what should I do for audio? The previous program I had many settings mp3, aac, wav, etc and I couldn't figure out which one to use.. I used mp3 44000khz and 128kbps but the audio quality was terrible.. far from how the original sounded.

and is there a program out there that just automatically converts.. meaning I dont have to choose any settings and the video is crystal clear and audio quality is excellent?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are looking for something that will do pretty much everything for you then try avstodvd with hcenc as the encoding engine. Probably the easiest solution that is freeware.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have a choice, and what you get will depend entirely on the decision you make.

Basically, you have to decide if you want to learn how encoding works so you can control the process and therefore get the best possible quality from your source, or if you just want to hand everything over to a program and let it make all the decisions for you, accepting that you may get good quality, but not the best quality.

If you want to learn how it works, you need to start by reading guides, reading posts, and a lot of trial and error. If you aren't prepared to put in the effort required (and not everyone has the time or the inclination), buy ConvertXtoDVD and relax.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nb23
    Alright, first off I need a FREE Mpeg2 conversion program............... It needs to be compatible with all common file types (.AVI, .MKV. etc)
    ................. I dont have to choose any settings and the video is crystal clear and audio quality is excellent?
    If you find it, please post it here. we all want it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You have a choice, and what you get will depend entirely on the decision you make.

Basically, you have to decide if you want to learn how encoding works so you can control the process and therefore get the best possible quality from your source, or if you just want to hand everything over to a program and let it make all the decisions for you, accepting that you may get good quality, but not the best quality.

If you want to learn how it works, you need to start by reading guides, reading posts, and a lot of trial and error. If you aren't prepared to put in the effort required (and not everyone has the time or the inclination), buy ConvertXtoDVD and relax.
    I need a program that will convert my files to MPEG2 not dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't answer my main question though - how much work are you prepared to put into learning how to do it ?

You initial questions show that you currently have very little experience in encoding. You say you want mpeg-2, which is fine, but why ? The why will determine how you encode it. If it is ultimately for DVD then you have to keep within compliant settings. If it isn't, you have more leeway.

I agree with FreeBird regardign AVStoDVD, which can output an authored DVD, an mpg programmer stream, or elementary streams. However it targets DVD in all of these, so you don't have full freedom.

Any Video Converter can also output mpeg-2 and is free and easy to use.

However if you just go in hoping, you won't get consistent results.

There is no universal "good" setting for video. Each video needs it's own settings, and knowing what these are comes from experience and from doing.

I cannot say that 8000 kbps will give you what you want, as I know nothing about the source video. It might be enough, it might be gross overkill. I can tell you that 29 fps is most likely wrong, as that does not conform to any standard framerate.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You didn't answer my main question though - how much work are you prepared to put into learning how to do it ?

You initial questions show that you currently have very little experience in encoding. You say you want mpeg-2, which is fine, but why ? The why will determine how you encode it. If it is ultimately for DVD then you have to keep within compliant settings. If it isn't, you have more leeway.

I agree with FreeBird regardign AVStoDVD, which can output an authored DVD, an mpg programmer stream, or elementary streams. However it targets DVD in all of these, so you don't have full freedom.

Any Video Converter can also output mpeg-2 and is free and easy to use.

However if you just go in hoping, you won't get consistent results.

There is no universal "good" setting for video. Each video needs it's own settings, and knowing what these are comes from experience and from doing.

I cannot say that 8000 kbps will give you what you want, as I know nothing about the source video. It might be enough, it might be gross overkill. I can tell you that 29 fps is most likely wrong, as that does not conform to any standard framerate.
    Well see I wan't to watch the movies on my dvd player in my car.. It only plays mpeg1 and mpeg2 files..

I'm willing to put in as much work as it takes to master converting videos.. are you willing to teach me? lol..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well see I wan't to watch the movies on my dvd player in my car.. It only plays mpeg1 and mpeg2 files..

I'm willing to put in as much work as it takes to master converting videos.. are you willing to teach me? lol..
    You need to understand two things.
    1) DVD IS MPEG2
    2) The files you have that you want to convert to "DVD" to watch on your car's "DVD Player"
    probably came from DVD in the first place and the quality has already been severely compromised
    so:
    video is crystal clear and audio quality is excellent
    ain't gonna happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you meant 29.97fps (not 29fps).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi
    See this command
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -acodec copy -vcodec copy -strict very -shortest -ss 31 -t 20 -i "D:\MP\M2U00031.MPG" "D:\MP\test.vob"
    I can extract when the start time is not 31 sec (> or <).
    But when the start time is 31 iam getting an error
    non monotone timestamps 3600 >= 3600
    Dont know why this happens as it is a file from DV MMC.
    Plz i cannot use some other tool as i only need the ffmpeg way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. First, you must understand that any conversion won't get any Better than the source used. Rarely will it be exactly as good. Close, but not quite.

Second, when you say your players plays MPG 1 and 2, well, no it does NOT. It will play those files WITHIN THE LIMITATIONS OF THE DVD SPEC. It may, or may not, require that the files be Authored.

The variety of the files you wish to convert almost certainly will require you to make at least some choices. Doing so will require you to have some knowledge of what you are dealing with, so that you do not choose low-quallity options, and/or specs that your player can not handle.

You may find a prog that will handle what you at first throw at it. However, sooner rather than later you will encounter a file that it does not properly deal with. There is just too much possible variety, too many possible options, too many necessary steps to make a proper conversion.

At a minimum, you will need to understand resolutions and re-sizing, framerates and IVTC, codecs and bitrates, audio and frequency conversion. There is no one way that always works, at least not in high quality.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Oh
    I was asking about the error.
    As I was able to do the conversion all the time and only in specific time points , i was disappoinied.
    I managed to do this in an mux demux way. But I was asking why It is not possible directly.

Code:
    "ffmpeg.exe" -acodec  copy   -vcodec copy -ss 31 -t 10 -i "D:\MP\M2U00033.MPG" "D:\MP\test.m2v" "D:\MP\test.ac3" 
    pause
    "ffmpeg.exe" -genpts 1 -i "D:\MP\test.m2v" -i "D:\MP\test.ac3"  -acodec  copy   -vcodec copy output.vob

pause
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by santhoshv
    Oh
    I was asking about the error.
    No. What you were doing was rudely hijacking someone else's thread with an unrelated question. It would have been much more polite to start your own thread for your problem.

At best, threadjacking with get you ignored. At worst it will get you a warning, and if you keep doing it, banned.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To answer the OP's original question: try WinFF. Use one of the "NTSC for DVD" presets and let it fly. It will make an MPEG-2 for you.

However, I am dubious about your assertion that your car player won't play DVD-compliant file. MPEG-2 movie streams get wrapped up in .vob files (along with audio streams and subtitles), and .bup and .ifo files are there to add navigation and other features. Check out the WHAT IS > DVD link at the top left of this site. As others have suggested, you may need a DVD authoring utility. There are several free and easy ones in the Tools section of this site.

Your audio stream really ought to be a 48k ac3 or wav file, not mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It'll play DVD files from a cd... But I rather put them on my USB thumb drive so I don't have to burn a new cd each time a new music video comes out.. But I can only play MPEG1&2 files from my usb...

I no what resolutions and re-sizing, framerates, bitrates, audio and frequency conversion is.. I just get confused when it gets to entering numbers.
    No idea what IVTC, and codecs is.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also what is an "authored dvd"?
    Quote Quote  
  17. @guns.

Hijacking , I dont understand Iam new to the forum.
    See the title of the thread.

MPEG2 conversion related questions

related questions

Sorry I was unaware that you are only considering a single question here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may have a point about the actual literal title, but this means nothing in fact. Guns1inger's point was that you were way off on the actual discussion at hand. At least if there was some "continuity" in your post regarding the discussion you may have gotten away with it.

Despite the title, the discussion wasn't about random "MPEG-2 conversion related questions", but "MPEG2 conversion related questions" about a particular topic and its progression.

However, since this is the Newbie forum I'm sure the Mods will likely give more slack since you hopefully understand now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, I actually added this here with a fear to start a new thread as it may lead to warning from admins as there is a thread already(actually not). Now its clear started a new thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. Hopefully you get help from someone knowledgeable with ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also what is an "authored dvd"?
    A DvD that plays in DvD players as a video disc.

To achieve this first of all, the actual video/audio streams must be compliant with the DvD spec, muxed in .vob files and put together with the DvD structure, which contains the necessary folders (such as VIDEO_TS) and other files (.ifo and .bup).

The DvD also, in most cases, contains information for menus, chapters, subtitles, etc.

There are many authoring programs available, even for free, that can do this for you to your liking.

An example of a "non-authored DvD" would be those very same video/audio streams burned as is, maybe even in .mpg form, onto the disc - just the files, no "authoring it". It will not play like any normal disc in a standard DvD player. In fact, it may not play at all unless the player has some extra features which plays these clips as files, not as (an authored) DvD.

This type of disc would likely be a "data DvD" instead, which is not limited to only video. It can contain images, text files, songs, games, etc.
    Quote Quote