VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of real media files , from which I need to extract scenes from. So I need a simple trimmer that could just yank off a couple a minutes of video.
    I tried avs4you - it can trim the video , but when it comes to the saving part it re-encodes the video into something very fat (i terms of MB's).
    I am hoping here something that can just instantly extract video from a clip based on time. It doesn't even have to have a preview feature. Just copy 1 minute of video from this video into another file, with same quality/size .

Anything like this ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try REVE. But I doubt it will work with newer RMVB files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use real producer basic (free)
    Under File menu-click Edit real media
    you will get a nice gui with preview
    use double arrow buttons to cut at key frames and save
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried real producer. But it seems it doesn't take .rm files in input.
    REVE didn't work either.
    My files have the .rm extension and are probably encoded in xvid..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give Avidemux a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kutchbhi
    My files have the .rm extension and are probably encoded in xvid..
    That's two entirely different formats/codecs. I would drop one into MediaInfo and see what format it is.

If you just want to edit in RM format, Real is a very proprietary format and there aren't many editors out there for it. And RMVB is usually variable bitrate video and audio, which makes it even harder to accurately edit. It was designed as an end format, not something to be edited. You may also have difficulty joining the cut part with another RM file.

Just my method, but what I do with RM(VB) files is drop them into Any Video Converter Free Version and convert them to some format simpler to work with than RM. Or you can use HuffyUV for an intermediate format with the program and there should be no quality loss. Edit in HuffyUV with VD or AVIDemux, then re-encode to the final format you want. HuffyUV will give you a very large file size, but just delete the file after you have edited and converted it. That method will preserve most of the quality if they have to be re-encoded.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux didn't work..
    I would drop one into MediaInfo and see what format it is.
    thanks for answering, I had a feeling rm and xvid won't mix. Its realvideo 4 ..

I am gonna stick with avs4you. Its better than encoding just a part of the video instead of converting the whole video..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kutchbhi
    I tried avs4you - it can trim the video , but when it comes to the saving part it re-encodes the video into something very fat (i terms of MB's).
    I don't use avs4you, but if it does give you an AVS file that renders the RMV, you can open that AVS file in Virtualdub and save it as AVI, choosing whatever video and audio compression you like (the default is no compression, which is very large, which may be what you are getting now).

If it helps, I used this AVS script to process an RMVB video:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("A_3.rmvb", fps=25, convertfps=true)
    EnsureVBRMP3sync() 
    SSRC(48000,false)
    LanczosResize(720,576)
    Quote Quote