VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    I tried burning my first Blu-ray today to utter failure. I followed the guide by milOtis, I ripped to ISO with anydvd, used dvd rebuilder to make a bd-25 and then burned it. I got an invalid disc message. So I went back and patched the index file witht the correct option selected and burned again. Same message. The first one plays fine on my computer, haven't tested the patched one yet. What gives? This doesn't seem to be the data disc error either because I read at least one person could browse the contents of the disc on the ps3 but all I can do is launch it and wait 10 seconds for the error message to appear.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you doing full disc or movie only?

Maybe the problem is complex menus incorrectly remapped in BDRB and/or PIP tracks. What movie are you trying to backup? Also, what software player are you using on your computer? (I use TME, which is exceptionally tolerant.)

Tried a different movie, main movie only?

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    I chose full disc, that being Pearl Harbor. I haven't looked at any playback software yet, I'm just using PowerDVD that came with my drive at the moment. I don't have any other Blu-rays yet to try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DGenerateKane
    I chose full disc, that being Pearl Harbor. I haven't looked at any playback software yet, I'm just using PowerDVD that came with my drive at the moment. I don't have any other Blu-rays yet to try.
    The problem may not be your disc, it is probably w/ PDVD, Cyberlink has "caved in" and disabled iso playback, I have saved the last version before they disabled iso playback and I never allow it to update because if I do I will immediately get that same message

After I install PDVD I then update it to the version I saved and then delete a file that nags me to update lol

If you allowed PDVD to update try reinstalling it, if your version is new you may be stuck unfortunately

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a problem with powerdvd, I have a problem playing the disc on my PS3. I tried making a BD-5 and this time it played, up until the actual movie that is. It started playing the preview for blu-rays and then the short about copying movies is bad and then it said invalid disc. This sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I asked about your software player out of curiosity. I've had a couple instances where TME played a backup correctly and the standalone did not.

One of my first BD backups was a Band of Brothers disc, full disc mode. Mind you, I was doing BD5, but anyway. TME played the backup fine, the standalone did not. Tried a newer version of BDRB. (Seems there's a new version every week). This one played okay, but activating the interactive timeline in the menu froze the player. Again TME played it. Next try, new version, this one worked, but chapter timings were off for the second episode. Okay, good enough. Maybe sometime I'll get around to trying another version of BDRB on it. [shrugs]

So Pearl Harbor is a Disney/Buena Vista release. The release date (Dec 2006) indicates it's not a BD+ disc. Could it be something's not quite right with the decryption? As to PIP, that was an HD-DVD standard, not Blu-Ray. Most of the PIP problems involve Universal discs ported straight from HD-DVD to Blu-Ray. So the problem probably isn't that.

From what I can gather, Pearl Harbor has a lot of extras on the disc. All I can think of is you really should try movie only just to rule in or out the menus being the problem.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DGenerateKane
    I don't have a problem with powerdvd, I have a problem playing the disc on my PS3. I tried making a BD-5 and this time it played, up until the actual movie that is. It started playing the preview for blu-rays and then the short about copying movies is bad and then it said invalid disc. This sucks.
    Did you run AVCHD Patcher set to "100"?

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have no way to test this, but if I remember correctly I have read here that full disc backups of Blu Ray to DVD media don't work at all on the PS3. Movie only is said to work. Do some research to confirm this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98
    I have no way to test this, but if I remember correctly I have read here that full disc backups of Blu Ray to DVD media don't work at all on the PS3. Movie only is said to work. Do some research to confirm this.
    I'm pretty sure that's correct, I think I saw that on one of the Doom9 threads. But in the OP's first post, it's stated that the first backup attempt was to BD-25. AFAIK, the PS-3 will play full backups on BD-R.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I'm pretty sure that's correct, I think I saw that on one of the Doom9 threads. But in the OP's first post, it's stated that the first backup attempt was to BD-25. AFAIK, the PS-3 will play full backups on BD-R.
    You are right. I focused on the OP's 2nd post which talked about making BD-5 and overlooked that first one. Again, I have no way to test but I think full backups to BD media are supposed to work on the PS3. You might check the forums at Doom9
    (http://www.doom9.net) as fritzi93 suggests to see if they have any helpful info.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a little puzzled that the BD-5 full disc actually loaded and played the preview before it crapped out, whereas the BD-25 didn't even load. Is that correct?

How about a main movie backup to BD-5? That would be an inexpensive test.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I was a bit annoyed when it crapped out after the previews, it got my hopes up and then smashed them. I guess I'll try movie only to BD-25 first, then I'll try movie only on BD-5. And yes I did change the setting on AVCHD patcher.

Edit: I just patched the index file and the message was not as expected, instead of "patch ok" it said "the file was patched" and it didn't patch the movieobject file. Gonna burn it anyway.

Edit 2: It worked. I'm going to try full disc one more time in case the problem was a bug in BDRE, I updated it before doing this latest one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Good deal. Seems that BDRB had trouble with the menus on that disc.

No doubt a version of BDRB will in the not-too-distant future be able to do it, jdobbs has created a very good program. It is beta, after all, though he has made steady progress in improving it. Here's hoping your go with the latest version is successful.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    Still didn't work. Going to get another Blu-ray today or tomorrow and try full disc again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. My guess is the disc may have authoring errors or maybe it's just very complex. [shrugs]

As an aside, has anyone out there successfully done a disc with "seamless branching" (i.e. alternate versions of main movie) with BDRB? Like for example the disc from the newest Blade Runner box set with *three* versions on one disc?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Is LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT a seamless branching disc? It has both unrated and theatrical versions on the same disc. If so, then yes I have successfully backed up using bdrb.

Is there a place that has a list of seamless brancing discs?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by mrswla
    Is there a place that has a list of seamless branching discs?
    Dunno. Got a couple Blu-Ray review sites bookmarked and can't recall it ever being mentioned whether a disc is or not. Only occasionally is it stated that a disc contains alternate versions, which obviously are seamless branched discs. (Like Blade Runner and, I presume, Last House on the Left).
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just tried to backup Knowing with similar results. Thought it might be the option I chose for encoding which was High Speed Option (BD-25) so the second time I left it on default. This time the PS3 recognized the volume label in the browser (every other time it was just labeled BDMV) and after launching it displayed a loading bar then went the same old error message. This is frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Wow, no wonder you're frustrated.

I once again slogged through this thread at Doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

Note that it's mainly about BDRB compatibility on BD5/9, as supposedly just about any player "should" play a full disc BDRB backup on BD-R. But maybe you can find a hint or two there.

A quick search shows that "Knowing" is a June 2009 release. It has BD-Live, which means BD-J menus (java), and it appears to be complex with a good deal of extras. Also three previews in front during which the top menu command is disabled, forcing one to skip them individually. (Why do the bastards do that? Grr.) In the thread linked above, it's hinted that complex BD-J menus can be problematic, and several Sony players are listed, although not the PS3.

Since you were successful with a movie-only backup, BDRB is evidently working on your computer. So there's still the possibility that the problem is in the menus. If so, you seem to be really unlucky, picking two problematic discs in a row. But the other possibles I can think of seem even less likely (AnyDVD settings, BD-R media, installs of Avisynth/Haali/ffdshow).

Anyone out there backed up "Knowing"?

Sorry I can't do any better than that.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Wow, no wonder you're frustrated.

Anyone out there backed up "Knowing"?
    I have backed up THE KNOWING with bdrb in full copy mode. i don't use milotis' guide. i don't use anydvd in iso mode. i use anydvd in copy mode, where it copies all folders onto my harddrive. then i use bdrb to "shrink" down to bd-25 size. then i use imgburn to burn folders to a blank bd-25 disc. i don't use the patcher program either. I have successfully backed up over 85 blu ray discs.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    What settings do you have enabled in AnyDVD? I have Enable Blu-ray Support (obviously) Prohibit User Operations, Disable BD-Live, PowerDVD "virtual drive detected" workaround and Remove Blu-ray Region Code. I'm going to rip it again without the last two options this time to see if that makes a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mrswla
    I have backed up THE KNOWING with bdrb in full copy mode. i don't use milotis' guide. i don't use anydvd in iso mode. i use anydvd in copy mode, where it copies all folders onto my harddrive. then i use bdrb to "shrink" down to bd-25 size. then i use imgburn to burn folders to a blank bd-25 disc. i don't use the patcher program either. I have successfully backed up over 85 blu ray discs.

Hope this helps.
    Well that kills my menu hypothesis. :P But it also suggests the OP may have a problem with the virtual drive. I've read here and there about some people having a problem with Daemon Tools, and the usual suggestion is to use SlySoft's virtual drive instead. But never read an explanation of why the problem occurs.

By all means, try it as mrswla suggests and post back.

[EDIT] BTW, I rip to image and use Daemon Tools, always works for me.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm going to skip Daemon Tools by ripping to files instead of ISO. That might be the problem, I'm running windows 7 with the latest free version of Daemon Tools and the latest fully windows 7 compatible SPTD driver. I'm also leaving all the options besides Enable Blu-ray support unchecked in AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I also am using win 7. The only checked box in anydvd is "Enable Blu-ray support", all others are unchecked including "Remove Blu-Ray Region Code". Here is a screenshot of settings in anydvd and bdrb:

screenshot.png
    Quote Quote  
  25. Did you burn your BD-R with UDF 2.50 or 2.60? It is very important for PS3. for ex. in NERO you can set up UDF (not automatic, but manual)to 2.50 or 2.60. Try to do it with BD-RE first.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, this seems to be the right place to post my problem. My last 2 back-up using Milotis pdf guide did not work either. However, unlike some of you, I don't get any error messages in the PS3. I just get a black screen. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    That is the settings I used this time, and it worked finally! Must be one of those options I had enabled causing me all this grief. I also wasted nearly a dozen BD-R's because my verbatim BD-RE was never detected in the ps3 for some reason. :/ Thanks for all the help!
    Quote Quote  
  28. I don't suppose you could do just one more *with* all options enabled?

That would enable us to be certain what exactly caused the problem: i.e. AnyDVD settings or DaemonTools. Two factors were changed for this try, so it's not entirely clear.

Anyway, thanks to mrswla for the solution. 8)
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Anyway, thanks to mrswla for the solution. 8)
    Sure thing. Glad to be of help.

One more thing to keep in mind. When burning with imgburn make sure that you exit anydvd. It (anydvd) could cause burning problems.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    I don't suppose you could do just one more *with* all options enabled?
    I'll try one with all options in anydvd turned on, but I'm not willing to install Daemon tools to test that out.

I'll report back with my findings.
    Quote Quote