VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few VHS tapes, quite a few years old, that I would like to capture to my PC, for either viewing via DVD, or just watching on my PC. They are maybe 10-15 years old, maybe a few years older, and the quality has gone down on these. If I watch them in the VCR, there is bad distortion at times, both video and audio. My problem is, when I try to capture them, when the tape gets to one of those spots, I lose almost all of it. None of the "bad spots" seem to come over, even though I can see them when I watch the tape.

I guess my question is, is there a way to capture raw? So whatever comes across is taken in? I know there will be dropped frames, but I was getting hundreds of them at a time, even more. Or is this going to be unable to be done?

I currently have a Dazzle (USB, with Left/Right/Video inputs, don't know what model, as I recently moved and it's still packed away) and the Pinnacle software that came with it. Was wondering if there was a specific software that would be more forgiving of the low quality tape.

I'll play around with formats and sizes and such, as it doesn't have to be the best quality video when I'm done, just something viewable, but I would like to try and get most of it captured.

Thanks in advance for any help! If you need more info, please let me know. I'll (hopefully!) have the Dazzle unpacked in the next few days, along with the VCR, so I can try this all over again, if the model of Dazzle is needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your best bet would be to try different vcr's and try to find one that plays the tape without dropouts. good jvc or panasonic s-vhs or d-vhs machines have better heads than normal and might help.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. You are embarking on a well trodden path my friend, search this forum there many similar tales

Start by asking yourself how much timeffort / money you want to spend, whats the content?

Next wind the tapes back and forward a few times before playing them, it can help.

If they are only say 5 tapes, get someone else too do it.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Corbeau
    I currently have a Dazzle (USB, with Left/Right/Video inputs, don't know what model, as I recently moved and it's still packed away) and the Pinnacle software that came with it. Was wondering if there was a specific software that would be more forgiving of the low quality tape....Thanks in advance for any help! If you need more info, please let me know. I'll (hopefully!) have the Dazzle unpacked in the next few days, along with the VCR, so I can try this all over again, if the model of Dazzle is needed.
    If I were you I wouldn't unpack the Dazzle. Just keep it in its box and return it for your money back. I'm not the only one stating that it's a horrible product - it will only add to your difficulties.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR
    I currently have a Dazzle (USB, with Left/Right/Video inputs, don't know what model, as I recently moved and it's still packed away) and the Pinnacle software that came with it. Was wondering if there was a specific software that would be more forgiving of the low quality tape....Thanks in advance for any help! If you need more info, please let me know. I'll (hopefully!) have the Dazzle unpacked in the next few days, along with the VCR, so I can try this all over again, if the model of Dazzle is needed.
    If I were you I wouldn't unpack the Dazzle. Just keep it in its box and return it for your money back. I'm not the only one stating that it's a horrible product - it will only add to your difficulties.
    I agree...ditch the dazzle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many tapes are we talking?
    No sense buying all the equipment, learning how to use it, buying new media, then screwing all up if it's just 10 tapes...Have a lab do it & it will be ready Thursday.

[edit]I usually don't respond to first posters...my bad[/edit]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I take it the Dazzle isn't all that good?

I only have 2 or 3 tapes that I REALLY care about.. there may be about 7 or 8 all together, if that many. Some are things I recorded off TV years ago, others are a movie or two that aren't on DVD, things like that.

May not be worth the time and effort to do it myself, if a professional place would be able to do it for me, with a better quality. Since I only have a few tapes, no need to go and buy more expensive equipment that I won't use later on.

Again, thanks for the responses!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a camcorder you could maybe use it trough passtrough
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I take it the Dazzle isn't all that good?
    Actually, it's so bad that anyone can blame their divorce on it even if they've never been married. Yes, it's that bad.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote