VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have m2v and ac3 files, exported by Adobe Premiere. I would like to play them back together. So far, the only player I've found that can play them back together is MPC. However, it can't seek correctly. Someone has suggested that I have a bad MPEG-2 splitter. During playback, I can see the MPEG-2 splitter in menu Play -> Filters

Filter : MPEG-2 Splitter - CLSID : {3AE86B20-7BE8-11D1-ABE6-00A0C905F375}

How can I tell which MPEG-2 Splitter it is? Where can I get a better one?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use graphedit or graphstudio or gspot to figure out what the directshow chain is (assuming you're not using mpc's internal filters)

If it's demultiplexed, it might not be going though the splitter...

You can use graphstudio or radlight filter manager to change the merit (it's like a priority level) of splitters and decoders

You can search for some, e.g. mpchc has downloadable standalone filters you can register (you can use radlight to register)

You can also check if using some combination of mpc's internal decoders might play it better for you

Or you can multiplex it into MPEG-PS and it will likely seek/play better
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video and audio files are separated -- m2v and ac3. I'd guess there is no splitter involved.

mux is not a solution since DVD authoring requires 2 separate files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So this is just for preview purposes before authoring to make sure it's ok?

You can play it though avisynth script:

vid = MPEG2Source()
    aud = NicAC3Source()
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most good dvd authoring programs accept mpg without having to be demuxed
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cheerful
    Why isn't it a solution? Do a quick authoring with Muxman and test the audio synch, if that's what all this is about. If it's not in synch then find out the delay and fix it when doing the 'real' authoring. I do this all the time as, in my experience, playing the 2 elementary streams isn't such a good test for synch.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For muxed source, the editor I use would demux them and store demuxed file. It takes space and can cause cache inconsistency or even corruption from time to time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cheerful
    For muxed source, the editor I use would demux them and store demuxed file. It takes space and can cause cache inconsistency or even corruption from time to time.
    That makes no sense to me. The Muxman suggestion is just a quick test for audio synch. You said you wanted to play the video and audio together and a quick mux will allow you to do just that. Delete it if you like, when all done, and author with whatever you want. I just suggested Muxman because I'm assuming your authoring program will take time to set up because you'll be creating menus. You haven't provided much information, so it's a little hard to guess your intent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cheerful
    The video and audio files are separated -- m2v and ac3. I'd guess there is no splitter involved.
    You can just throw away the muxed file after you've played it to check sync.

Eg, use ImagoMPEG-Muxer, very small and fast.

Play in MPC and you can use the keypad + and - to adjust sync if necessary; then apply that when you author.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by cheerful
    The video and audio files are separated -- m2v and ac3. I'd guess there is no splitter involved.
    Directshow will still require a splitter. Even if all it does is pass the m2v directly to the decoder.

In MPC you can disable the internal MPG splitter via View -> Options -> Internal Filters.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just complementing what jagabo said above, :

Not all splitters "like" all types of MPEG decoders (and vice-versa);
    according to my little experience at least, neither the MPEG splitter of MPC,
    not the one shipped with Windows, are "safe choices",
    regarding audiovisual synchronization of separate streams.
    I recommend the MainConcept MPEG splitter, version 1.0.0.54,
    together with ffdshow's MPEG-2 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    Not all splitters "like" all types of MPEG decoders (and vice-versa)
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Directshow will still require a splitter. Even if all it does is pass the m2v directly to the decoder.

In MPC you can disable the internal MPG splitter via View -> Options -> Internal Filters.
    Which one do I choose to disable? I can't find MPEG splitter. It's named something else, right?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Start playing one of your M2V files in MPCHC. Right click on the window and hover over Filters. See what filters are in use.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo

If the audio is out of sync and the video looks right according to the progress/seek bar, is this a problem with the audio filter. video filter or splitter?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    Just complementing what jagabo said above, :

Not all splitters "like" all types of MPEG decoders (and vice-versa);
    according to my little experience at least, neither the MPEG splitter of MPC,
    not the one shipped with Windows, are "safe choices",
    regarding audiovisual synchronization of separate streams.
    I recommend the MainConcept MPEG splitter, version 1.0.0.54,
    together with ffdshow's MPEG-2 decoder.
    Where can I find this MainConcept splitter?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by cheerful
    If the audio is out of sync and the video looks right according to the progress/seek bar, is this a problem with the audio filter. video filter or splitter?
    How is your audio out of sync? Is it off by the same amount all the way through the video? Does it start in sync (or not) and drift more and more out of sync as time progresses? Is it in sync for a while then suddenly out of sync?

Note that the audio doesn't have to start at the same time as the video. Many DVDs (and other file types) have video and audio that starts playing at different times. If your lack of sync is constant throughout the video all you have to do is set the audio delay (or advance) when you mux them together.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo
    How is your audio out of sync? Is it off by the same amount all the way through the video? Does it start in sync (or not) and drift more and more out of sync as time progresses? Is it in sync for a while then suddenly out of sync?

Note that the audio doesn't have to start at the same time as the video. Many DVDs (and other file types) have video and audio that starts playing at different times. If your lack of sync is constant throughout the video all you have to do is set the audio delay (or advance) when you mux them together.
    Sorry that I did not make it clear. It starts in sync and plays fine till end. It only gets out of sync when I seek -- the audio plays immediately and video takes some time to play and audio is way behind.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by cheerful
    Sorry that I did not make it clear. It starts in sync and plays fine till end. It only gets out of sync when I seek -- the audio plays immediately and video takes some time to play and audio is way behind.
    I find that type of problem often goes away by muxing the two streams together into an MPG or TS file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo

Which one do I choose to disable? I can't find MPEG splitter. It's named something else, right?
    Source filters: MPEG PS/TS/PVA

Transform filters: MPEG-1 Video && MPEG-2 Video

Where can I find this MainConcept splitter?
    Really-old versions of:

a) MainConcept Encoder ;

b) K-Lite Codec Pack ;

N.B.: it's not necessary to "install" anything,
    you can just extract the required files with UniExtract.
    Quote Quote