VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to split a mpg file into separate files. Will there be any re-encoding if I use mpg2cut2 to do this? I am looking to avoid any quality loss. Can MPEG streamclip split a mpg file into separate files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. no re-encoding on MPG2cut2. Great program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Can I split by typing the numbers from 2.50 to 4.30, or is it all cursor based?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bz186
    Thanks. Can I split by typing the numbers from 2.50 to 4.30
    Not that I know of. And keep in mind that it only cuts on keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorta a newbie. What do you mean by key frames? Will it identify the key frames for me? The file I have is one long mpg file with no chapter breaks. I am just curious, does mpg2cut2 work with VRO files since this is a mpeg 2 file?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Highly compressed video files like MPG files get a lot of their compression from only encoding the changes from frame to frame. Every now and then a frame is compressed as a complete image, much like a JPEG image, this is called a keyframe. Then there are a bunch of frames that encode only the frame to frame changes. So, for example, a talking head shot with a static background only has to include the moving lips and head of the talker for most of the frames. The Group Of Frames from one keyframe to the next is called a GOP. DVD compatible MPEG 2 has is a keyframe about every half second.

Mpeg2cut2 only allows cuts on keyframes. It only allows you to mark-in and mark-out on keyframes. It only stops on keyframes when you move the slider or use the arrow keys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for explaining keyframe. I will go ahead and download the software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There are frame accurate MPEG editors that are smart enough not to reencode parts of the video that don't need it. They only reencode the cut GOPs. Womble MPEG VCR and Sony Vegas, for example. But they're not free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cuttermaran also does smart rendering (can cut on any frame), and is free.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. Is there a noticeable difference in the mpg output between Womble and mpg2cut2? Womble is offering a free trial period to try out their software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino
    I found that, unless the source was PAL material that had been demuxed by PgcDemux, the output was hopelessly out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bz186
    Can MPEG streamclip split a mpg file into separate files?.
    Yes it can. Read the documentation on the MPEG streamclip website to learn how to do this. I'll give you a clue for working with video from your camera. If there are timecode breaks they correspond to the end of a recording session. However, MPEG Streamclip cuts on keyframes like most other free editing tools.

Originally Posted by sambat
    I found that, unless the source was PAL material that had been demuxed by PgcDemux, the output was hopelessly out of sync.
    Strange... I use Cuttermaran most of the time, but I work exclusively with NTSC recordings from my DVD recorder. I have demuxed using Rejig, VOBEdit, and MPEG Streamclip, and rarely have a problem with synchronization, mostly when VRO files are the source. Cuttermaran requires demultiplexed sources, but the free authoring program that I use works best with those too, so it is not an inconvenience for me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Originally Posted by bz186
    Can MPEG streamclip split a mpg file into separate files?.
    Yes it can. Read the documentation on the MPEG streamclip website to learn how to do this. I'll give you a clue for working with video from your camera. If there are timecode breaks they correspond to the end of a recording session. However, MPEG Streamclip cuts on keyframes like most other free editing tools.

Originally Posted by sambat
    Strange... I use Cuttermaran most of the time, but I work exclusively with NTSC recordings from my DVD recorder. I have demuxed using Rejig, VOBEdit, and MPEG Streamclip, and rarely have a problem with synchronization, mostly when VRO files are the source. Cuttermaran requires demultiplexed sources, but the free authoring program that I use works best with those too, so it is not an inconvenience for me.
    I haven't used it on a recording, but I shall make one and try it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a short recording and the there was no problem cutting the clip - so my recordings or PAL movies work ok.
    I normally clip parts from movie DVDs and nothing will get them in sync - adjusting the delay in Cuttermaran has no discernible affect.
    All the movies are NTSC using pulldown.

Edit:
    I decided to remove the pulldown (using DGPulldown; set in and out at 23.976) - I could then set/adjust the audio delay in Cuttermaran and got a good synced output.
    Quote Quote