VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vob2Mpg produces an mpeg2 file that contains the subtitles.
    Using Mpeg2Cut2, the parts I need can be saved and joined as one and the subtitles are still there - but the file cannot be re-authored to DVD format with the subtitles..
    VLC knows the subs exist in the mpeg files and plays them, but there seems to be no way extract them.

Instead I used DVD Shrink to select the parts I needed - but they are separate titles and playback isn't smooth.
    I thought I could then convert the subs to sub/idx format and join them using VobSub Joiner.
    It has a problem joining them, inasmuch as the times listed for the subs are the original times from the movie - they don't correspond to the actual length of the new clip.
    Using SubResync I could guess the real start times for the subtitles, but it's tedious work.

What I need is a way of either extracting the subs from the mpeg files or a way of joining the subs (with the correct times) from DVD Shrinks output.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our subtitle section.

I would....hmm....give up...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found that CLI Eac3To can de-mux an mpeg-2 file (including subtitles) and the times reflect the running time of the clip (not the original times from the movie).
    And VobSub Joiner works ok now.

eac3to -demux filename.mpg
    Quote Quote