VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have my work computer for the weekend and want to do what I can to clean it up and maybe improve performance. What would you suggest beyond what a Google search can tell me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall any program that you dont use anymore,type msconfig in the run bar and look in the startup tab and uncheck any program that you dont need to run when the computer starts up and do a defrag and go to internet options in control panel and do a temp internet file delete,since you run apple do the equivalent.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run regularly cleaning utility programs, like CCcleaner, Glary Utilities, Advanced System Care, etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I came across Glary utilities a couple of weeks ago, after using it I can say it does seem to do a great job. Tried others a few years back and didn't find one that I thought was 100% safe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glary did a good job, except for the 9GB dat file it created in my temp folder after the Registry defrag completed.

Uninstalled.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Speaking of temp files, empty all the Temp directories. Check the startup entries in the Registry carefully,HKLM and HKCU, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current version, Run. CCCleaner for registry cleanup. Make sure you have enough RAM installed. Defrag the HD. Thorough Virus scan with multiple progs never hurts.

Haven't used Glary much but that 9gb file could be a sign of a corrupted Registry. Could be just a random prog screw-up. Disk error check never a bad idea.

Check performance in Safe Mode. This points to startup software issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ccleaner is an awesome app for cleaning out the shite from windows.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    There's some good advice above. Follow it, except be cautious about "registry cleaning" with CrapCleaner or anything else. Registry cleaners do very little good (insignificant speedup) and can cause great harm (can't boot your computer into windows, or other malfunctions). If you're not a tech expert, best to leave them alone, IMHO.

Be sure to do a complete scan with your updated anti-virus software. Also I suggest scanning your system with the latest versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, or similar anti-malware software.
    Quote Quote