VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was working in Group Policy a couple of nights ago and must have been brain dead at one stage as I disabled MMC which prevents the Group Policy creating various snap-ins. I am the administrator and the only person who uses this PC and it says go to the administrator for details. My thinking is, I may be able to access the Group Policy via the Command Prompt ..problem is.. I have no idea what to type. I would REALLY appreciate some-one advising me how to access Group Policy ..ie.. is it possible, if so, what do I type in Command Prompt .... I am using XP Pro SP2.

Error Message:
    The user policies prevent MMC from creating snap-in.

Name:Group Policy

CLSID:{8FC0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3}

I used to believe wisdom comes with old age, now, I beginning to think stupidity comes with old age.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G'day Webster,

Thank you for that thread, I'll now search for a free editor.

Thanks for taling time out to respond, appreciated.

Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why would you need a free editor?

Start, Run, GPEDIT.MSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Really very simple, GPEDIT is a snap in which is disabled. Webster gave me a link to the exact utility I need to be able to make the correction. I am now trying to find a free utility that does the same job.

Webster if you are reading this, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I would have never thought to google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi bjs,

That link seems to relate to the Security when I need to to able to make an amendment in Group Policy. I bookmarked the link for future reference .... thanks for taking time out to respond.

and .... thank you Nelson, incorrect but appreciated.

Cheers from downunder to all.

PS. Over the last 10 years I haven't experienced too many problems I could not solve, that said, over the last 3 months some absolutely unbelievable events have almost driven me insane.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an idea that's silly enough that it just might work... Use system restore to roll the system back to a point before you changed the setting???

Just a silly idea from a crazy guy. But it's silly enough that it just might work.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have system restore off on both of my PCs .... never had a need to use it.

Nevertheless, thank you for the response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G'day all'

bjs, I owe you an apology, you did gave me the right solution. I followed the instructions and finished up with 'access denied', it would seem I will not be able to access Group Policy again. I have forgotten why I wanted to get back in, so it could not have been too important. Thank you for the link, appreciated.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote