VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I received a one of a kind DVD from a trader - it's a master. Sadly the disc has a crack and somehow it seems air got inbetween the data portion of the DVD and I'm guessing the top layer. I've tried 3 different DVD-Roms and each one studders while trying to read the disc - none let me access any of the data.

I'm not an expert on what people can do to recover data from damaged discs like this. I know there are companies that specialize in Hard Drive recovery - are there any out there that may have luck w/ this disc? Or is there anything I can do to try to get it to play/read? I tried the "skip doctor" which removes a small surface layer of discs but that didn't fix the problem....

Thanks for any insight....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that looks like a standard burned dvdr. not a pressed dvd. once air gets into the dye layer of a dvdr it's toast. pressed dvds don't use dye so they wouldn't be as effected. dvd lasers use reflected light to read the disc so as the picture indicates there is no reflectivity in the damaged area, if you can see through it so will the laser and there is no data left to recover.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's history.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So even a company like Ontrack (http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/) wouldn't be able to do anything with this?

Thanks for all the comments. Sadly I'm beginning to think I should just give up.....been hoping to watch this for a long time though - very rare concert video of a band I love from back in '94. Buddy finally sent the disc and just my luck it's all f*d....

Oh well. Thanks for reading/commenting....

-Jay
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tell him to send you another one, pack it good this time and send it on good media!!

If the disc layers have separated, it's over!!!!!

And it's only "one of a kind" if it's the only one in existence.
    8)
    Quote Quote