VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, sorry for some basic questions but I've never set up a wireless network before, but I just got a laptop and I want't to set it up as it has wi-fi.

I've got a cable modem. So Do I just buy any wireless router, plug the modem into the router and the router into my desktop pc? Does this mean that the signal is being passed stright through the modem>router and into my desktop so I don't lose any connection speed on my desktop?

What kind of security measures should I look for with my router, should it have a built in firewall or anything else?

Any specs I should look out for (such as amout of antennas)?

I live in a pretty small house and just need to be able to use wi-fi downstairs from my setup (virtually directly below) and in the garden, no more than 30 feet away.

Also heard about N routers and G+ routers but don't know the difference.

Any help, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. From what I read, be prepared for most wireless routers to freeze/act up now and again.

Just unplugging it and leaving for a few minutes then powering up usually solves it, or re booting the laptop I find works.

I got one of these and set up was a breeze, get the most powerful one you can, this one is a fast as my wired pc's.

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?sku=Linksys_WRT160N_Wireless-N_Home_R...oducts_id=1486
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. N is faster. Router and wireless receiver must match for best speed, an N router and G card will run at G speeds.

Avoid any Plus or Turbo features, these are non-standard and may not work across different makers.

Rebooting the router takes seconds, no need for any wait period.

If your wireless network is running as fast as wired, something is seriously wrong or you are measuring speeds incorrectly. Wired connections significantly faster, especially with a Gigabit router. If adding more wired PC's, get the gigabit unit.

All routers have password security for wireless, use it or share your internet and network with your neighbors.

With a cable modem, you must disconnect all cables and wait a few minutes before connecting to a different piece of hardware. Speed should not change to PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to buy a router. Go for well known brands, such as Linksys, to avoid a frustration with connection, interface and documentation issues. Some of the routers offer easy setup feature, that guides you though the process.
    Perhaps, it is best to search internet for articles, like: "How to set up home wireless network?".
    Obtain the connection parameters of your cable modem (IP address, DNS server, etc...).
    Set correctly the mode of the Router: Access Point or Home gateway.
    Use for security WPA2 encryption if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wireless .... make absolutely certain it is SECURED or you could be in for some nasty surprises.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    All routers have password security for wireless, use it or share your internet and network with your neighbors.
    Yes. But what's the deal with print jobs going to wireless printers on the network ? How do you keep that stuff private and secured ? And if it's an All-in-One device, can copies or faxes or scans done just locally at the device get plucked out of the air by others ? Encryption for that ? (Proprietary biz should be able to be kept that way.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wireless printers use the same security as that set up on the router.

Jobs done at the device are never broadcast and so are quite secure.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Wireless printers use the same security as that set up on the router.

Jobs done at the device are never broadcast and so are quite secure.
    Glad to hear that !
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote