VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    I've downloaded 5 different subtitles until I figured out that my video is running at 25fps and the subtitles are 29fps. Haven't found any 25fps subtitles so I tried to convert it myself. Problem is, it doesn't seem to work. Now I am not sure if this is the actual problem.

Anyway, all the subtitles have a general delay of a few seconds but I can easily fix that in VLC with the G and H hotkeys. Once I've done that it's perfectly fine for about 1 minute. Then I start to notice that it's slightly going asynchronous. The more time passes by the worse it gets.
    Now, when I change the subitle's fps to 25 the problem remains the same.

So, either I'm incapable of changing the fps which I did with Subtitle Workshop by simply changing the fps value and saving it as a new file

Or

The problem lies somewhere else.

??
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try this the very simple Subtitle framerate changer, http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic41466.html

And are you sure the source is 29.97fps? not 23.976? but try both.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    You are right, it's 23.976 but I guess that doesn't matter when converting it with Subtitle Workshop at least I didn't see an option where to input the initial frame rate.
    Anyhow, changed the fps with Subtitle framerate changer and it does seem to do a better job now but still goes way off later on. I am beginning to think that the video itself is the culprit since it's a TV show and cutting out the commercials might cause trouble. It's weird though, never encountered such a problem before. Now that I think about it, it's astonishing that all the subtitles worked perfectly so far. I mean, cutting out commercials will change the duration of a video and lead to asynchronicity?! Or am I on the wrong tack?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ClownInBrown
    Thanks!
    You are right, it's 23.976 but I guess that doesn't matter ... mean, cutting out commercials will change the duration of a video and lead to asynchronicity?! Or am I on the wrong tack?
    What format are the subtitles?
    There are two timing schemes commonly used:
    Time (h:m:s.000), such as SRT, and frames, such as ASS.
    For second-based subs the frame rate is irrelevant.

As for the sync with TV shows, I suspect that most of the TV show subs you can download are based on the same TV rips you are using, especially if they're from recent shows.
    Older shows might be from DVD, and in that case the subs would be ripped from the DVD.

Anyway, Subtitle Workshop has some excellent tools to let you resync subs. Just read the extensive manual for details.
    Often just matching the first and last lines of dialogue with their subs is enough.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They're srt files.
    Thanks for the explanation! My video is from 2003, I assume that's considered as old.

Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Often just matching the first and last lines of dialogue with their subs is enough.
    Yes, I've read about that but couldn't find the manual . I'll take another look.
    As long as I don't have to change everything manually I'm happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're srt files.
    Thanks for the explanation! My video is from 2003, I assume that's considered as old.
    Also you can open the SRT in a text editor, the format is readable and fairly obvious.

Yes, I've read about that but couldn't find the manual . I'll take another look.
    As long as I don't have to change everything manually I'm happy.
    In my version, just click the "Help" button on the menu.
    Read the section about timing, it explains all the methods.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the Easy Subtitles Synchronizer. Its a new free Subtitle Editor:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368992.html

then use the 'Adjust' tool or 'Manual Synch' tool to synchronize your subtitles. Finally do not forget to use the 'Repair' tool to increase the readability.

Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please stop dig up old topics.
    Quote Quote