VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone ever seen right angle adapters for SATA connections? I'm not talking the right angle connectors that are built into cables but a right angle plug with male-female, essentially turning a straight connector into a right angle one. If not that then perhaps an extension cable with a right angle male at the terminus?

I picked up a Lian Li 4-port SATA backplane which comes with 4 nice right angle cables to fit the narrow space between the backplane connectors and the cooling fan. Unfortunately my controller uses a mSAS breakout cable which terminates with 4 straight SATA connectors. I guess another mSAS cable with right angle connectors would be ideal if it exists otherwise I need to convert those straight connectors into right angle ones to fit onto the backplane.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes - i'll try to find where i saw them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    crap, sorry must have been a brain fart, the only thing i can find are low profile right angle e-sata to sata adapters.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT

Found some at one of my favorite online resellers. Didn't think to call it an "L adapter"
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8758/ele-416/FrozenCPU_Sata_Male_to_Sata_Female_L_Ad...?tl=g2c197s878
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    frozencpu.com has saved me several times with hard-to-locate parts. A good company to have listed in your favorites.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have one in my computer right now....hate it. I should have replaced that stupid thing while I was in there adding another HDD. It's not an adapter though...it's a right-angle SATA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're very useful depending on the space you have available in your case. For instance there is very little clearance next to the connectors for my SATA HDDs so with straight connectors they were putting a lot of stress on the SATA ports (which can break easily). Then I realized the case came with six right angle SATA cables (sometimes called "left angle" because they plug in and go over the top of the drive) to alleviate the space issue.

What's too bad is the newer Lian Li cases utilize a SATA backplane for their HDD drive bays now so you don't have to mess with cables on the drives anymore. I wish they'd sell that as a standalone offering so I could replace the HDD cage in my Lian Li.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They would be great if you could somehow stagger the connections on the back of the drives....but when they are all in the same exact place on every drive...it's annoying. Then again I need to disconnect the main cable and the IDE cable from my motherboard just to install a new drive so...it might be my strange computer case.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used straight SATA connectors in my server, because I had a bunch of them. But I bundled them to keep them from putting a strain on the HDD SATA connectors.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I used straight SATA connectors in my server, because I had a bunch of them. But I bundled them to keep them from putting a strain on the HDD SATA connectors.
    You are too good at that!
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Really....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    I like that too, nice workmanship

I use a slightly different style

Where I work we call that a "harness"

[i

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You guys could run a single power cable for those drives with right angle connectors evenly spaced along the cable to line up with the drives. My case runs two stacks of 3 drives instead of the single column like those so I took two right angle power connector leads and put in two right angle taps for power at the right locations to fit all the drives. The power cables act as an anchor for tying in the SATA cables. Either of you think about wrapping those cable bundles with split-loom tubing or even putting the mesh sleeve and heatwrap each end?

Of course I'd much rather have a backplane 8)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    You guys could run a single power cable for those drives with right angle connectors evenly spaced along the cable to line up with the drives. My case runs two stacks of 3 drives instead of the single column like those so I took two right angle power connector leads and put in two right angle taps for power at the right locations to fit all the drives. The power cables act as an anchor for tying in the SATA cables. Either of you think about wrapping those cable bundles with split-loom tubing or even putting the mesh sleeve and heatwrap each end?

Of course I'd much rather have a backplane 8)
    How 'bout posting a pic of that backplane setup, sounds cool, but I can't really picture it?

I used to loom up everything, but w/ such a crowded cases like mine it just gets "too busy" and decreases airflow

ps. I just use the cables that came w/ my Silverstone modular psu

btw I use 2 hot swap bays (w/ backplanes) in the front, gonna' add a third eventually

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    How 'bout posting a pic of that backplane setup, sounds cool, but I can't really picture it?
    It's on this case, check the photos:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112173
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    It's on this case, check the photos:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112173
    Pretty nice case

The best backplane setup is where the "pull out tray" has a backplane, so installing and removing your HDD's doesn't wear on the HDD connectors, just the tray connectors

Sadly my hot swap bays have backplanes, but the HDD trays do not

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Either of you think about wrapping those cable bundles with split-loom tubing or even putting the mesh sleeve and heatwrap each end?
    If I had a cable fail or needed to change things around, that would be a problem. The power wiring in my case is a mess, but I didn't want to redo all that when I redid the SATA cables. Lots of Molex>SATA PWR adapters. It's an older full tower case, with 80cm fans in front of each three drives, and it runs cool, so wiring isn't a big issue with the case as long as it all works. There are four more HDDs in the 5.25" bays.

I do use right angle SATA connectors on my other computers and the power wiring is a lot neater.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Either of you think about wrapping those cable bundles with split-loom tubing or even putting the mesh sleeve and heatwrap each end?
    If I had a cable fail or needed to change things around, that would be a problem. The power wiring in my case is a mess, but I didn't want to redo all that when I redid the SATA cables. Lots of Molex>SATA PWR adapters. It's an older full tower case, with 80cm fans in front of each three drives, and it runs cool, so wiring isn't a big issue with the case as long as it all works. There are four more HDDs in the 5.25" bays.

I do use right angle SATA connectors on my other computers and the power wiring is a lot neater.
    Actually rallynavvie has a good idea for the power side, I wouldn't modify the original, but I have used a online custom cable maker before, just tell them what you want and they will make it, I will post the name of the cable maker I have used in the past if I can find it

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used something similar to these where you place them along the power cable yourself and then snap it shut and it splices into the cable. I used to make a lot of my own cables when they were all using the simple Molex connectors and pins but I don't yet want to mess with the wiring on the SATA data cables as it looks a bit more complex.

This is the SATA/SAS drive bay that I'm installing which needs the right-angle connections:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8501/cpa-268/Lian-Li_EX-H34B_SATA_Hot_Swap_HD_Cage_-...tl=g43c241s613

I don't completely agree with drive trays integrated with the backplane connectors. Back when it was SCA and IDE where there were pins that could get bent I would agree, but the new SATA/SAS connectors are designed for backplane use. There is some wear and tear on the drive but hot-swap is meant more for replacing dead drives than it is moving other good drives around.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used something similar to these where you place them along the power cable yourself and then snap it shut and it splices into the cable. I used to make a lot of my own cables when they were all using the simple Molex connectors and pins but I don't yet want to mess with the wiring on the SATA data cables as it looks a bit more complex.

This is the SATA/SAS drive bay that I'm installing which needs the right-angle connections:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8501/cpa-268/Lian-Li_EX-H34B_SATA_Hot_Swap_HD_Cage_-...tl=g43c241s613

I don't completely agree with drive trays integrated with the backplane connectors. Back when it was SCA and IDE where there were pins that could get bent I would agree, but the new SATA/SAS connectors are designed for backplane use. There is some wear and tear on the drive but hot-swap is meant more for replacing dead drives than it is moving other good drives around.
    I understand what it was meant for but I could use trays that could be moved around w/ confidence to transfer files even faster than a gigabit network

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here are some 90 degree cables and 90 degree to 180 degree cables.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=sata+cable&x=21&y=18
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link to those push-on SATA power connectors, rallynavvie. That would simplify some of my SATA power cabling. I do have a Molex pin extractor/installer and a couple of packages of Molex pins, M + F. I was thinking to make up a SATA power cable from separate wires that would plug into a Molex PS socket.

None of my SATA power cables are long enough for the tower cases. The alternative was soldering extensions and using shrink tubing to cover the connections. It would be nice to chop off the PS Molex connectors about ten inches from the PS and install a new Molex connector, then hook the SATA power string to that. I have some good PS's, but none are modular and even a modular isn't a lot of help.

I would like to get rid of all those Molex>SATA power adapters and all those plug in connectors.

My only question, do those push-on connectors have a rear cover to keep the push-on connections in place and insulated from casual contact? It's not clear from the link.

I wish it was easier to make up SATA data cables. I hate using 18" cables when I only need 10". I know there are 10" cables, but they are rare and not so easy to find right angle 10" cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My only question, do those push-on connectors have a rear cover to keep the push-on connections in place and insulated from casual contact? It's not clear from the link.
    Mine do. Maybe the one I linked is a straight connector but there are right angle taps for SATA power out there. Should be able to find them at local computer supply stores as well. I did see another version on FrozenCPU's site that pictured the cap but they were neon green
    Quote Quote