VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. There are two things I can do to get it back:

1) Unplug my Surfboard 5100 cable modem and plug it back in.

2) Restart my computer. If unplugging the modem doesn't restore the connection, restarting my computer will.

Any idea what gives? Could it be the modem? I have a router but the same thing happens when I remove it and go straight to the computer. It's not the router.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What type of connection do you have?

Cable or DSL?
    How do you connect? Dynamic, Static, PPPOE, ect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like you are a comcast customer and are possibly running a p2p app?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing you can try is right-clicking the connection and selecting Repair (the connection icon in the tray, if you have it enabled (actual connection, unless your modem also has a tray icon with a 'repair' option), or Control Panel > Network Connection > (right-click name of connection)).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do have Comcast. I'm not sure how I connect. I'm not running any p2p apps. I did run the repair when I was having problems and it came back with contact my ISP or something like that.

I just want to be sure it isn't something obvious before I call Comcast and get the old, "Everything is fine on our end" reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no download helpers? comcast will knock certain p2p/file sharing/game download helpers offline.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm not sure what you mean by downloaded helpers. I'm an old dude, this is the only forum I'm on and I don't download anything illegally if that's what you mean. Strangely enough, I've only lost the connection once today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok i believe you comcast must be having problems at your location.

you can check the local comcast network from this page -
    http://online.comcast.net/networkhealth/outagecheck.aspx
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have you changed anything in the last couple of weeks, e.g. hardware, ISP, software etc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Comcast can run tests from their end. Best to call them.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many things cause internet connections to fail. Most of the time it happoens it's because the modem overheats. Over heating can be caused by improper cooling, or downloading too much which causes the modem top overwork. Sometimes the modem goes bad, as a result like most modern appliances they are designed to shutdown if the problem is detected to prevent a fire. Other times the service suffers an outage. When using a cable modem. If you are running behind a router this can cause a signal feedback loop and a) prevent the signal frm getting through, or b) over heat the modem cause it to shut down. If the router is the problem (and not broken) you unplug it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. If the modem is the cause you can usually (in this order) unscrew the coax and unplug the power, wait 30 seconds screw the coax back in and then plug the power back in. If you are a Comcast subscriber and you have downloaded too much they shut you off, if you are a Charter customer and download too much they robocall you. You said you don't P2P, but if someone is latching onto a wireless signal being generated by a router you may have that would be enough. Missing payments is also a known cause of internet failure.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll give them a call the next time it happens. The fact that the connection is restored when I restart the computer leads me to believe there is something going on at my end.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If a reboot solves your connectivity issues, start - > run -> netsh int reset all (a black box pops up and then dissapears) this resets the tcp/ip
    Start - > Run -> ipconfig /reset all (this resets/restores the ip adress)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Comcast sucks! Least in my area. I have to reboot my modem ALL the time. Just right now, I've had to reboot my modem twice. HD channels look like crap at the same time too. Comcast wants me to pay them a service fee to come out NOT. I know it's their problem as people in my area have the same problem.

I'm going to dump comcrap
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The only real diagnostic info you have for the modem is the indicator lights on the front of the modem itself. When the problem occurs, what EXACTLY to the indicator lights, indicate?

What you need to show Comcast in order to assure a free service call is a modem whose internet status light goes off, with the PC not even turned on. This will prove the problem is on their end and not on yours.

If you haven't already changed the cable from PC to modem, if it is Ethernet, try this.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A few general comments about Comcast in particular...

Comcast does bandwidth limiting for people who they think are using up too much bandwidth. I've heard of people who say "I don't download anything" yet their PC is used by kids and/or grandkids who DO download things illegally.

It could simply be a problem with connectivity in the neighborhood. I have DSL through AT&T and I live in an older neighborhood. When it rains very heavily, my internet connection goes down. I've had to learn what to do to reset my modem myself to fix it.

Note that Comcast's support staff are about 90% complete and utter morons. Comcast pays rock bottom wages, so the support staff they get are pretty transient and pretty bad at their jobs. About 10% of the staff knows what they are doing and presumably are paid a decent wage to keep working there. Until you deal with one of the 10% guys, you are pretty much out of luck with Comcast. Expect to have to make multiple calls and demand to speak to a manager eventually. Threaten to leave for another carrier, assuming you live in a place where you actually can do that. If you are unfortunate enough to live in a place where Comcast is the only game in town, then keep bitching until someone who knows what they are doing fixes you. This is why you will eventually need to speak to a manger - you'll need to bitch a lot to a manger to get someone useful to get involved in your problem. You may get lucky and one of the 10% people may get on your call to begin, but that rarely happens. Note that my 90-10 rule applies also to the people who come to your house. Most of the people in all Comcast jobs are just complete morons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Comcast can run tests from their end. Best to call them.
    Yes, do this.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. I appreciate the time that all took to reply. Just when I thought things were fine for two days, I could not stay on for more than a few minutes at a time on Sunday morning.

I called Comcast and got a real decent guy who did not run me through the usual list of questions. He ran a proximity test and said that others in my area were having problems as well. He also said my signal was weak and thankfully, I lost the connection while we were on the phone.

I'm scheduled for Saturday. Thanks again!

jman, My brother-in-law works has worked for Comcast for 25 years, he's one of the 10%. If they send a moron, I'll have my brother-in-law come out and fix it!
    Quote Quote  
  19. The underground cable was chewed up at the box end. He ran a temporary cable and they're coming back out to run a new underground cable. Man, my internet has never been this fast. I guess it's been messed up for a while.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading your problem and I had a simular one and everytime they sent someone out they did something and finally one guy said the cable under the ground needed to be replaced.

They even hooked up a booster, but the tech installed it backwards
    Quote Quote  
  21. i`m running xp pro, dsl

not sure this will help but. i have been having same type of problems. all of the sudden page will not load
    well i checked the message in the control panel administrative under tools event viewer/system it had a error
    saying my symatic network proxy stop. so i went into service restarted that service and it worked just fine

it seems to happen when i run newsrover program not sure why but all i had to do is just restart that service just something i just found out today maybe it can help some one down the road
    i guess read the event viewer/system may give some info as to way something stopped working

thats it take care
    shortfinger
    Quote Quote