VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - I posted this same question on the wrong discussion group - not sure if that was the right way to do it - so I created this new one -

I am about to buy a pioneer Dv610E from a NYC store - because it is supposed to play zone 1 and zone 2. the reason is my 2-year old philips multi zone stopped working (no sound) recently. So I don't want another philips.

I am willing to take the risk in buying a different brand - any tips or hints to for me? I found that a downtown store has the 610E -- I will be plugging it into a SONY Bravia HD 1080 TV - which I assume is NTSC format. should zone 2 DVDs work? is there a special code or specifications that I should ask the people at the store?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    D
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please try follow our simple rules, do not hijacks topics and do not CROSS post your question.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about that, no harm intended -- I am new to this group...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVD players sold in the USA CANNOT be made region free. I have no idea if your Pioneer can or not. Even if an unlock code exists and you find it on the internet, hardware changes by the manufacturer can prevent the unlock code from working. So nobody here can give you a 100% guarantee that this player will do what you want if you buy it. You'll need to be able to take it back for a refund if you can't unlock it.

Store salespeople often are idiots and if you ask them about an unlock code they may just look at you like you are speaking Chinese to them and have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck with that.

Will region 2 DVDs work on the player? Yes if
    1) You can find a way to unlock it and
    2) The DVD player can be set to output NTSC or the Sony is capable of accepting a PAL video signal from the player if you can't force NTSC output for everything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unless it is stated on this web site or others that there is a remote activated code to make it region free, like the philips, often the only way is using a lap top and a connecting cable.

When you can get region free stuff from the following, why buy from a source that you doubt? , which NYC store is it, there are some in NYC that know what they are doing.

http://regioncodefreedvd.com/super.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvd+region+free&x=0&y=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PIONEER-HDMI-1080p-DV-420V-K-Region-Free-DVD-Player_W0QQitemZ4...d=p3286.c0.m14

all I did was search on yahoo.com and ebay.com
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies and the advice --

for the moment the Pioneer Dv610E that I just bought does play zone 1 and zone 2 DVDs. It didn't need a code -- just plugged it in and it worked using both types of DVDs. I have 14 days trial - so I will see.

To respond to your questions :
    Victoriabears - the store is J&R - the same that sold me the original philips
    jman98 - as you said - the store guy had no idea of what I was talking about. He had sort of blank look when I discussed this. I bought it anyway.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. J&R and another one in new york are the two that sell multi region, so it should work well
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If searching for a multi-region DVD player in NYC remains this kvetchy, hope is even more far away for multi-region Blu-ray disc players.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote