VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I googled vob2mpg to get some info on the engines its using to encode DVDs. The first thing that pops up on Google is VOB2MPG Doesn't Work by some jerk on this site. It's not right to dirtbag a product like that before you at least try and solve the problem. The guy could have said error with vob2mpg or something else. I use it to convert DVDs to mpg's for streaming to a PS3 to my Hidef and like mainly because my wife has no trouble with it's easy interface. This guy has a issue as it's one of the easiest programs to use. I stupidly bought the pro version which you really don't need but hell, these guys did a good job. The thing I'm trying to find out is how it works as using handbrake, I have to make a mkv to get 5.1 ac3. Then I convert it to mpg with mkvtovob which should really be called mkvtompg. This works fine and with the proper settings on handbrake and mkvtovob. Settings if your interested in getting the 5.1 are set handbrake to PS3, then change the format to mkv. Go to Video and slide the constant quality slider to 70%. If your using a DVD thats 5.1, go to audio and set audio to AC3 5.1 if thats available on your DVD, set audio codec to AC3. When saving your destination make sure you save it as an mkv. Then click add under presets and call it custom PS3 so you don't have to mess with the settings all the time. Then start it up. You may have to set the audia each time you queue up a new dvd as it reads each one so follow the sound step again but the rest is all good. Then if your using a streamer that cant handle mkv to mpg transcoding, the mkvtovob works fine. Set video transcoding to never, set transcoding codec to mpeg-2 and let it rip. I use Java PS3 media server as it works in XP and win7 and it does fine with MKV to PS3 on the fly but if you use TVversity or Media home you need the mpg as mkvs dont work. If anybody has a better 5.1 handbrake method let me know as nothing else seems to give me real 5.1. Dolby pl is bull and thats what you get usually from handbrake if you dont tweak it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you are making things way too complicated.

VOB2MPG does not encode anything. What is does do is extract the video and an audio track from the VOB container that DVD uses, and re-package them into an mpg container. The video and audio in the mpg are identical in quality to the source, as they have only been moved from one box to another.

To get a 5.1 AC3 audio mpg, all you need to do is rip the main movie only, with just the 5.1 AC3 audio to your HDD using DVDFab decrypter or DVD Shrink, then use VOB2MPG to create an MPG with 5.1 AC3 audio.

No re-encoding necessary. No having to package it into an MKV container, then use mkv2vob.

DVDFab -> VOBs on the HDD -> VOB2MPG -> MPG file -> Done.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I totally agree with you. I was more curious how vop2mpg does what it does. What tools is that program using. The advantage of handbrake is in size reduction without the wipeout you get on a hidef screen with divx, even in hidef mode. There's much more control. I have over a tera of stuff from vob2mpg but size is a factor. It almost seems that BD's are easier to shrink then DVD's, but you have more to work with I guess. I always try and come up with a better way if the tools are they're and if you use BD's anydvd is the only game right now but that's a whole other topic. If your interested Ripbot264 does a great job on BD's. Also Java PS3 media server is the most versatile media server codec wise but lacks some stuff like TVersities web site access. I'm just rambleing........Thanks for the input
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BD player (PS3) but not a BD drive - too expensive - no value for money at the moment.

Because VOB2MPG is just a container change, there is no size difference aside from any streams you drop during the rip.

I prefer Xvid4PSP over Handbrake. I find Handbrake either incredibly slow (on my quad core), or poor quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. Regarding BD's, your right about the media being a rip right now at about $5 a pop but at $175, the LG burner is not that expensive, and if you stream your media, you don't need blank BD disks. You can then build a library for the day when the price of disks comes down.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I prefer Xvid4PSP over Handbrake. I find Handbrake either incredibly slow (on my quad core), or poor quality.
    I haven't tried Xvid4PSP, but I like Handbreak over the others that I've tried.
    Does Xvid4PSP do batch encoding like handbreak?

I do agree, handbreak doesn't make full use of my Quad, seems it maxs out at about 60% cpu usuage

Edit:
    BTW, I do everything to H.263 in an avi container
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My initial impression of Xvid4PSP is that it has a nice interface, uses less resources then handbrake while encoding. If you use cq or constant quality it doesn't seem to be any faster then handbrake using the same which on handbrake would be a one pass at a CQ setting of 70%. Out of 5 random disks that I know are multi-lingual with available subtitles that seem to need ifo-edits to straighten them out on many programs, on Xvid4PSP 4 out of 5 of them were problematic, however these may not be representative of your average DVD as they are downloaded from UK etc. where they have many languages on their DVD's. Handbrake manages to handle 4 out of 5 but uses more resources. As a comparison 2 out of 5 tripped up Vob2mpg. As far as quality, I would imagine you could get the same out of either handbrake or Xvid4PSP if they are set up properly. It's always size vs quality vs time anyway. My main issue is the difficulty of 5.1 sound with handbrake on any other format than mkv. I'm testing this with Xvid4PSP and will follow up. I'm doing a local column in the paper in 2 weeks and have been working on this for a month so any input is welcome. I think gunslinger is right about vob2mpg for DVDs. BD's which he isn't doing depend on more variables. I'll cover that topic later but in brief the PS3 way to go is ripbot264 and mkvtovob. It works great syncs well and streams perfect. Ripping and burning is expensive but BDrebuilder and Imgburn work great with anydvd-hd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Handbrake has no problems passing through 5.1 AC3 to an avi container
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stiltman, Thanks for the heads up on handbrakes avi ac3 potential
    Gunslinger, You are right about xvid4psp's speed. It's due to the proper implementation of the x.264 multicore encoding.
    On a i7 chip (the latest Intel), it utilizes all 4 cores and the 4 hyperthreads but has the same problem with mp4's and AC3. You can use the same workaround as handbrake as it makes great mkv's faster and with a lot more settings easily available I can see why you recommended it. So I'll try Stiltmans avi on xvid4psp and see if the ac3 carries over. Basically the idea is to just pass it through and encode video only. I have heard on a xvid4psp forum that there are sound sync issues with avi files. I actually like the Divx converter and the beta they usually have is free without a cutoff date, although they will try and get you to upgrade after a while to a new non-beta version with a 15 day limitation. If you get the beta, dont upgrade. It does 5.1 without a problem. and syncs well with the right settings. If you own or have the DIVX pro-codec its pretty fast. All functions are right click and once set, you can queue up DVDs or drag them into it. It's a real plain interface and will throw you for a loop until you right click and play with it. Thanks for the tip Gunslinger and Stiltman, you should try guns program as it beats the pants off of handbrake on multicore. The one caveat, being some DVD's may not work because of menu issues. I'm sure they're working on that.
    Regards,
    JordonB
    Quote Quote  
  10. Played with Xvid4PSP yesterday. What I did, under audio select copy
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey..Maybe Jordon can answer this, you seem to be doing the same process I am. I've been using Handbrake to create mkv files and then mkv2vob to enable them to play on my PS3 in 5.1 surround. I did it successfully around three times but now all of a sudden, about halfway through a completed movie, the audio drops out of sync--about a five second delay and almost seems to get worse and worse as time goes by. I just can't understand why it just started happening when I did nothing different. First I thought it was a DTS thing or something...but I did a bunch of tests with both DTS and non DTS movies and it still keeps happening on all of them. I even went so far as to install a previous version of mkv2vob thinking that it all started happening after the last update, but no luck. Jordon, the only thing that I've never done that you mentioned is "slide the constant quality slider to 70%." But like I said, I've had it work just fine for a few movies..and BTW the quality was excellent using just Handbrake and then MKV2VOB Any suggestions..anyone?
    Quote Quote