VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

I have some old vcd which burned years ago and now need to be edit and burn again, but have some problem there. VirtualDub can only open first several minutes and reports vcd damaged, so I wanna use videosplitter to extract all good parts, and I need locate all damaged frames, is there any software can do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you just openeing the .dat in virtualdub? If so try use vcdgear or isobuster to convert/extract to mpg first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx Baldrick, here is the result:

vcdgear choosed "Fix MPEG Errors" and "Remove CD-i MPEG Bumper" then showed: "Fixes:256869 Padding: 256868 Splits: 0", mediaplayer can played first minutes then freezed, VirtualDub can only open first minutes, but no damaged reported.

isobuster choosed "EXTRACT AVSEQ01.DAT" and ignore errors, after 1 hour reading, promopt an error, size of AVSEQ01.DAT is 0.

did I set them wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing it with VLC. It can skip over errors sometimes. If it can make it all the way through, there's hope of recovery. VLC can also transcode, though not great at that. But it might be worth a try.

If the CD itself is damaged, ISOBuster should have been able to extract most of the file. I would closely inspect the disc and look for physical damage, scratches, blotches in the dye, etc. Scratches you may be able to buff out. Blotches or damage to the reflective layer are permanent and not much hope of complete recovery. There is this guide for ISOBuster: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic125214.html

VirtualDub will choke on any break in the file, so not so great for repair or fixing errors of that type.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wouldn't open a VCD file in VDub either but.....isn't there a way to get VDub to check for errors of some type BEFORE it opens the file?....or is that for .AVI files only?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you try VirtualDub's Video -> Scan Video Stream For Errors?

You might try Mpeg2Cut2 to cut out the bad sections. You'll have to scan manually for them though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all,

redwudz:
    Yes, played it somewhat smooth, just skim bits seconds, but edited in tmpgenc or virtualdub meet numerous data damaged errors, get down to nitty gritty, I would amplify vcd's volume , have to rerender em. I suppose there are all physical damaged, coz nero scaned out red blocks. I'll try ISOBuster later again.

hech54:
    I'm looking for that tool exactly, can locate all damaged frames.

jagabo:
    VD can open first minutes, in that part, I tried Scan Video Stream For Errors, no errors. Seems it need know exactly damaged frames location for properly using Mpeg2Cut2. Scan manually do you means watch em? Player would freeze a bit times, that amount much less than tmpgenc meet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bryce_Tuener
    Seems it need know exactly damaged frames location for properly using Mpeg2Cut2. Scan manually do you means watch em?
    Yes, play them or use the scroll bar.
    Quote Quote