VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a hack for my region 1-enabled Sony DVP-NC615. Three hacks are already posted - one is a dead link (posted 6 years ago), one only works with a special remote I don't have, and another is on a website that swears that it won't work on region 1-encoded players and that using that software-based hack will fry my DVD player. All of these were posted in 2003 - are there any newer hacks for this player, preferably one that uses the player's own remote control?

Many, many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forums. Since you are new, I'm not going to sugar coat it and give you false hope. I'm going to be pretty blunt.

The odds are that you will NOT be able to make this player region free. You can buy the remote if you wish, but I doubt it will work. I know nothing about this hack with the warning, but I probably wouldn't chance it. I'd advise that you should be glad that after 6 years that something made by Sony still works. My brother had a Sony DVD player from that era and it lasted maybe 2-3 years. The poor support at the time of Sony for VCD and SVCD made their players despised by many of us. These days Sony doesn't make many players that can be made region free. I don't know if they have any available in North America that can be made region free. A new hack since 2003? HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the honesty. The player was a hand-me-down when I got my first apartment, and it's been wonderful, so it seems I got lucky - until I hoped to make it region free. I'll pursue options on my computer to watch non-region 1 DVDs from now on.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. not knowing any where else to turn, I am posting here: any help

I searched all the regions hacks for Sony's and found one that almost worked.
    I followed these instructions exactly and the screens come up except on the last screen where it displays the region, there is no method to change the region. If I select, Next, it goes away. If I type in a number it goes to the previous screen, any help. I really would like to play a DVD from England on a US Sony

-Turn TV onto input channel (the one used to watch DVDs normally)
    -Press Title, clear, power on DVD remote in rapid succession
    -Go to 0 for Syscon Diagnosis
    -Go to 2 for Version
    -Go to 5 for Region
    -Enter the region desired (01-05). This part just doesn't work, no way to enter or change the region.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    This method worked with the normal remote, no hardware change or special remote.
    DVD Region Free Hack Method 3:
    (Works with most Sony DVD players and other players)
    -Turn DVD player OFF but make sure it is in “stand by mode”
    -Press: TOP MENU
    -Press: CLEAR
    -Press: POWER
    -Choose option 2
    -Choose option 4
    -Type in: 12450 and press ENTER
    -Type in: 00000 and press ENTER
    -Power OFF DVD
    -Power ON DVD
    -DVD will now be region freezing
    Quote Quote