VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new here but hope I'm asking this in the right place.

I have a DLNA network setup to my Samsung TV. This is done with the application "SAMSUNG PC Share manager" which comes with the TV. It works fine (as long as you have a LAN...).

With that app you can share folders on your HD (C: disk). That's fine, I have some photos and mp3 on the internal HD. But my movies are on external USB-disks and the application does not allow me to share folders on external disks, it complains with an unrecognizable error msg.

Has anyone succeed in sharing folders on external disks? I assume the Samsung application does not allow it, but are there any other applications out there? As far as I know, DLNA is supposed to be a standard so it may not be brand specific. Any input much appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DLNA is supposed to be a standard, so you should not be limited to Samsung's software. Windows Media Player (as much as I personally loathe it) is liked by many for it's abilities when it comes to DLNA. This should remove the restrictions on available drives. Tversity is also well worth a look.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure when using wmp for network sharing you have your whole network set to "private network" so that the "media sharing" feature can be enabled. If its a "public network" it won't cooperate.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to give WMP a chance then, had no idea about that... And I'll check the other app out as well. Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just want to update this if anyone else reads it. Yes, WMP actually manages to share external disks on the DLNA network. Its weird interface and folder-handling gives me some headache, but at least it works! Thanks again

I saw some posts on problems making TVersity work on Samsung. Does anyone know if this is a common problem or just people (like me) that cannot really setup the application well?
    Quote Quote