VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    On this particular computer, I am regularly gaining (jumping ahead) about 8 hours, roughly every 24 - 48 hours. Has to be the battery, right ? But I have seen several examples of losing time when a CMOS battery is starting to go, though never of gaining it. Or could it be something else ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could be the battery, could be the clock chip going bad, could be a bad time source, could be getting it from a network server.

Disconnect the network and/or Internet, replace the battery, correct the time, and leave it off for an extended period. If it boots with incorrect time, it's the clock itself. No known fix other than mobo replacement. Fairly common problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your time zone set correctly?

How frequently is the time synchronized and from what server?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dLee

Those are fair questions to ask, but the problem is that people who already know the answers to them know enough to fix time problems themselves. This comment is NOT meant as a knock against the original poster but a simple statement of what I see as a worker in IT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by dLee

Those are fair questions to ask, but the problem is that people who already know the answers to them know enough to fix time problems themselves. This comment is NOT meant as a knock against the original poster but a simple statement of what I see as a worker in IT.
    I did not build, install, or set up this particular computer, so I don't know: not quite sure what to check, apart from the hardware troubleshooting already suggested. I've owned or used quite a few computers over the years, and this is the first such instance (regular time gain) that I've run into. I'll check the set TZ and auto-update arrangements, as soon as I find out where to look for them. Must be somewhere in Control Panel, I suppose . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you dual boot at all? This creates havoc for me when the clocks go forward/back.

For checking automatic update stuff, double click on the clock in the taskbar and choose the Internet Time tab.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also double-check the time change. If it is EXACTLY 8 hours, then more likely some sort of update issue. Also check several instances, again if the time change is an EXACT value, then it is getting it from Somewhere. A defective clock or battery is not going to change by precisely 8 hours periodically.

If the value is much more approximate, and variable, then more likely a defect in the onboard clock.

Don't forget to check the battery contacts for corrosion.

My guess with a value that large would be incorrect time zone setting, with updating causing the issue. Most likely set incorrectly on the original install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys -- some good clues.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Do you dual boot at all? This creates havoc for me when the clocks go forward/back.
    Yes, I do, and more than dual, actually. However, this has been a constant for a long time. The difference is that I assembled or was hands-on in the assembly of the previous computers, but not this one. I know exactly where the TZ statement is in my other main OS, but hadn't had to deal with this for Windows before. I use Windows, but am not super well-versed in it in a number of areas.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    For checking automatic update stuff, double click on the clock in the taskbar and choose the Internet Time tab.
    O.K., right off the bat I found it set for EST (which makes sense, considering where it was built), whereas I am PST. That has now been reset, and I changed the server from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov. (Looks like XP only gives you those two choices ?) If you'll excuse the pun, time will tell if this is indeed the cure. It says the next auto-sync is set for 8/25. That should be enough to find out. When I said "8 hours jump ahead" within every 36 or so, that was an estimate and an approximation. I kind of doubt that it was exactly 8, on the nose.
    Quote Quote