+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello Forum Members:

I have four VOB files as follows:

Name part1.vob
    Name part2.vob
    Name part3.vob
    Name part4.vob

that are located in the VIDEO_TS folder.

1. Do I need to change the names of the VOBs files first?
    2. I have no IFO or BUP files with these VOBs.
    3. How do I create, if possible, new IFO and BUP files?
    4. Burning - Have Nero 6 and DVDFab

Thanks,
    Miss Sherlock
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't. You need to demux the streams from those VOBs and re-author in your authoring tool of choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Under some conditions you can recreate a basic, serviceable ifo. Download IFOEdit (it's free), and use the "Create IFO" menu option. If that works, great. Otherwise, you may have to do what videopoo suggests.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Under some conditions you can recreate a basic, serviceable ifo. Download IFOEdit (it's free), and use the "Create IFO" menu option. If that works, great. Otherwise, you may have to do what videopoo suggests.
    You will need to rename the vobs to VTS_01_1.VOB,VTS_01_2.VOB,VTS_01_3.VOB and VTS_01_4.VOB before you use ifoedit,if all the vobs are from the same dvd vts compilation then the ifoedit method will work.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videopoo
    You can't. You need to demux the streams from those VOBs and re-author in your authoring tool of choice.
    Why would he/she need to demux?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    You can't. You need to demux the streams from those VOBs and re-author in your authoring tool of choice.
    Cause he's full of poo. :P

Also use imgburn,much better than nero6.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Why would he/she need to demux?
    Because I don't know of an authoring tool which imports VOB files. But if the tools mentioned do the trick go for it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Because I don't know of an authoring tool which imports VOB files. But if the tools mentioned do the trick go for it!
    How in the hell would you go about demuxing 4 separate VOB files, then joining them back up
    in any authoring program while retaining the video/audio sync across all 4?
    If you don't know the answer please don't clutter up threads (especially threads started
    by inexperienced people) with your vast knowledge of video "terms". All that does is
    confuse people while making you sound more knowledgeable than you really are.
    DAMN I hate that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. How in the hell would you go about demuxing 4 separate VOB files, then joining them back up
    If you don't know the answer please don't clutter up threads (especially threads started
    by inexperienced people) with your vast knowledge of video "terms". All that does is
    confuse people while making you sound more knowledgeable than you really are.
    DAMN I hate that.
    realmad.gif
    Wow...you sound like my 3 year old! Assuming all files are related, joining them and re-authoring while retaining sync isn't a big deal. I leave the rest of the thread to the geniuses
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wow.... i can think of a few.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a simple method that I use:

VOB2MPG to combine the files into one file then DVDFlick to author the dvd then Imgburn to burn the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54
    How in the hell would you go about demuxing 4 separate VOB files, then joining them back up
    Demuxing and reauthoring is a perfectly acceptable way to get a compliant DVD structure out of it. Why are you coming down on him so strongly? It seems the 4 VOBs are from the same DVD source since Miss Sherlock called them part1, part2, etc. I'd try the IFOEdit method first myself, but if it didn't work I'd load the 4 VOBs into DGIndex and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. I'd take the resulting M2V video and AC3 audio and reauthor using Muxman.

Yes, if they're just 4 unrelated VOB files chosen at random, then your concern about the audio synch not being maintained would be valid, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple DVD Creator demuxes separate VOB files and creates a perfectly good DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Demuxing is a wasted step if you have an authoring program that will accept the vobs.

DVDFlick, as well as many other programs, will accept a vob without the need to demux first.

The easiest way to get a new DVD is load the vobs into DVDFlick and reauthor.

(The OP didn't include enough info to determine if the original DVD was one title or multiple titles)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found that DVD Flick loads VOB files out of order (which can be corrected) and gives undeserved error messages.
    Simple DVD Creator had no problems with the same movie.

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by qpskfec
    Demuxing is a wasted step if you have an authoring program that will accept the vobs.

DVDFlick, as well as many other programs, will accept a vob without the need to demux first.
    And then they'll demux before remuxing (except for IFOEdit, but it's not really guaranteed to do the job every time, in my experience).
    (The OP didn't include enough info to determine if the original DVD was one title or multiple titles)
    It seemed fairly clear to me that they're from the same title (Part1, Part2, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi All:

Wow! You guys are good!

I know the basics but I haven't done any "authoring" of videos until now. I appreciate all the great advice.

I renamed the files as directed which are all one video or DVD:

VTS_01_1.VOB, etc.

I downloaded the Ifoedit and asked it create the missing ISOs and BUPs and it worked great! Grabbed the VIDEO_TS folder and placed it into DVDFab and burned to DVD.

It is a PAL format (UK). Would this create any problems for the quality of video. Do I need to change from PAL to NTCS first before burning?

Also the video is old. It was recorded from TV in 1982 onto VHS and then to VOB (how I don't know). So the VOB video files are showing some problems with resolution, a little wobbly and pixelling.

Each part is about 30 minutes each:

Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1 023 MiB
    Duration : 29mn 10s
    Overall bit rate : 4 903 Kbps
    Video
    ID :224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 452 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 7 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.429
    Stream size : 929 MiB (91%)

Audio
    ID : 128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -304ms
    Stream size : 53.4 MiB (5%)
    Recommendations are:

LJB are: 1) to join the files first, 2) then use DVDFlick to "author" and 3) then burn.
    Manono: 1) DGIndex (joins? and demux) and 2) Muxman (reauthor) and 3) burn.
    Sambat: 1) Simple DVD Creator and then 2) burn.

Based on the additional information, how should I proceed with all of the above parameters. Including the fact the video is old. Does the authoring help with some of video problems or is there an additional step that is needed?

Many thanks,

Miss Sherlock
    Miss Sherlock
    Quote Quote  
  18. It is a PAL format (UK). Would this create any problems for the quality of video. Do I need to change from PAL to NTCS first before burning? question.gif

Since you live in Canada, you need NTSC or a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC on the fly. It is possible to do the conversion via software, but it seems to me that that option is beyond your capabilities. If it is important enough, you need to buy the DVD player that can handle the conversion. They can be had for as little as $50US.

Bob Andrews
    Quote Quote  
  19. I agree with RWANDREWS.

Didn't you say you had successfully created the IFOs and BUPs with IFOEdit and then burned it to disc? If so, just test it out in your player. You don't want to have to convert from PAL to NTSC if you can avoid it.
    Does the authoring help with some of video problems or is there an additional step that is needed?
    Authoring just makes a standard DVD. It doesn't reencode or filter or in any way improve (or degrade) the video. It may not even be fixable anyway, but you'll have to have some encoding skill and experience to, first, figure out what needs doing and, second, actually do it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I agree with Manono's agreement with Bob.

You've already burned the DVD, so now just test it. The best solution, which has been mentioned, is to use/get a DVD player that handles both PAL and NTSC. These are common in Europe, not so common in the US. I have no idea what their availability is in Canada, but there are always online vendors to turn to.

Converting PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) is a pain in the fazoo, so I'd strongly recommend the player-based solution.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi All:

Well it played on my computer without any problems. The video quality is not the greatest but I could still watch the video. However, my SONY DVD player would not play the disk because of the PAL formatting.

Good to know for future reference. I don't usually use any PAL formatted versions but this happens to be an old one that I wanted.

Thanks again for all the help,

Miss Sherlock
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I leave the rest of the thread to the geniuses
    Please do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Why are you coming down on him so strongly?
    Because he is flat-out wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    And I agree with Manono's agreement with Bob.

You've already burned the DVD, so now just test it. The best solution, which has been mentioned, is to use/get a DVD player that handles both PAL and NTSC. These are common in Europe, not so common in the US. I have no idea what their availability is in Canada, but there are always online vendors to turn to.

Converting PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) is a pain in the fazoo, so I'd strongly recommend the player-based solution.
    It's not a pain at all, especially with the OP's VOB only project. Just stack them in DVD Flick, but not as separate titles as shown in sambat's example. You want to Add the first one then go to Edit tile to add the rest (which will merge them into one title). Set for NTSC and start.

I've converted many PAL concerts and standalone VOB music videos to NTSC, usually using AVStoDVD with HCenc 2 pass encoding and the results are fine. As long as a menu doesn't have to be kept there is no pain involved, except with AVStoDVD you do have to start with one large file as it doesn't have a merge option like Flick.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Different fazoos do have different pain thresholds. Mine is low. Glad that yours is very high.
    Quote Quote