VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I do have one of the LCD-projected Sony sets, absolutely breathtaking quality, and sadly discontinued (stupid ass consumers and their "flat panels"). The biggest reason is the filtering kit inside of it, I can tweak pretty much every video setting imaginable, from IRE to color depth to geometry.

Many cheap sets, and many cheap DVD players, are known for the lackluster playback quality. It might be a combination of several issues (not a single item) if the disc really is good.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took the DVD to a Best Buy where they had some upsampling players hooked up to HDTV's of various sizes, I tried it on a couple of Blu-ray players and one other one. Clearly what I was seeing previously wasn't being upsampled/upscaled. There was a marked difference.

However, there still seemed to be some loss of detail, even when standing well back from the screen. It seemed the image was better with things that were close up where there wasn't much motion. I did notice that the image looked better on some sets than others from the same source, same size screen. The sales guy seemed to actually be more knowledgeable than the typical boxmart floor employee. It was his assertion that some upsamplers are better than others, that what I was seeing was the low end of the "better" units at that job. I didn't take down any model numbers or the like but clearly the severe degradation of image I've seen before was primarily hardware related.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    Some of the very latest LCDs are better, and plasma generally does better than LCD, but neither compares to a Trinitron CRT for playing consumer-made DVD. I believe LordSmurf has one of the final Sony rear-projection HDTVs, and I remember those being remarkably decent for SD, but they're unavailable now. Eventually the flat panels will evolve to where they're more amenable to SD, at least one can hope.
    Glad you brought that up. A lot of us have a hefty percentage of SD material in our collections. So what are we supposed to buy, in order to display it to best advantage ? Plasma starts at 42", and seems to be on the way out. (Just Panasonic, Samsung, and maybe LG hanging in there, for the moment.) 32" LCD just won't cut it for many room sizes: you can't crowd everyone into sitting 8' from the screen, at all times.

I've had pretty good SD results from a 32" Toshiba 720P LCD -- but that panel has some other problems, and it happens to be in a bedroom, where the screen size is not an issue. I don't think it would be satisfactory for a decent-sized living room.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote