VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a Sony RDR-VX525 refurbished w/o a handbook. I put in a blank DVD and put in a pre recorded VHS. I hit one touch dubbing but nothing happens. It seemed simple. Could it be broken?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usualy with dubbing you need to hold the dub button for 5 seconds.
    The first model I had required that I format the disc first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You mention "prerecorded vhs". By chance do you mean a "commercial" tape that was store bought and not home made? If that is the case then there is a 99% probablity that it is responding to the macrovision protection on the video tape. It is there to prevent you from copying the tape. You would need a seperate device designed to block this to continue recording. Do an internet search and you'll find out more about it.

If it is not a "commercial" tape than it may be another issue. Are your cables connected securely? Did you select the right input selector? Make sure you are selecting front inputs if you plug into the front and rear inputs if you use the rear jacks. (edit - sorry I didn't think about this possibility - is a dvd recorder and vhs player in one unit? If so I have never had one of those types of units - just a seperate dvd recorder and a seperate vcr so I can't respond specifically to issues with a combo recorder)

Does it record off an antena? Well I should say can it take a tv signal (since it probably doesn't have the newer digital tuner you'd have to feed it a seperate signal).

My point being you should test to see if it records at all.

Also what type of blank discs are you using? Some dvd recorders only accept + and others only accept - r types. Some more rare types need "ram" discs. Also be sure that the player initialized it. If not it won't record on it. You would need to try another blank disc to be sure.

Also try a different brand of disc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify-Iam playing back from VHS tapes I personally recorded with a camcorder. I have two sets of DVD blanks. The one I used was DVD-R
    I also have a box of DVD+R
    I thought all I had to do was put the blank DVD in and put the VHS in and hit the one touch dub button. Guess I am ignorant about this stuff. Help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alanwilson
    Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify-Iam playing back from VHS tapes I personally recorded with a camcorder. I have two sets of DVD blanks. The one I used was DVD-R
    I also have a box of DVD+R
    I thought all I had to do was put the blank DVD in and put the VHS in and hit the one touch dub button. Guess I am ignorant about this stuff. Help.
    I am using the machine as a stand alone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by alanwilson
    I purchased a Sony RDR-VX525 refurbished w/o a handbook. I put in a blank DVD and put in a pre recorded VHS. I hit one tou
    ch dubbing but nothing happens. It seemed simple. Could it be broken?
    That worked for me on my machine I believe.
    Quote Quote