VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am converting the 731 mb .avi file to an mpeg2 file with ffmpegx. When it finishes, can i use Toast to burn it to a 4.7 gb dvd? I tried just burning the .avi file, but it was too big for some odd reason. I am hoping to make the file smaller by converting it to an mpeg2 file. Is this the best way to do this? Am I doing it right?
    PowerBook 12" G4 user
    Tungsten T2
    iPhone (original 4gb)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like Toast is set to create a DVD-Video disc, and it's attempting to re-encode the video, itself. Do you want a DVD-Video disc, or the AVI burned as data to the disc? If the latter, tell Toast to create a data disc, rather than a DVD-Video disc.

(I don't use Toast, so I couldn't tell you the proper way of doing everything in it. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, i am wanting to burn to dvd to watch on the tv. Toast looked at it and thought it was too big. Toast told me it needed 6.3 gb to burn to dvd. NOT. Not sure why. I'm converting it hoping it will be smaller.
    PowerBook 12" G4 user
    Tungsten T2
    iPhone (original 4gb)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If possible, have Toast lower the bitrate for the DVD-Video disc. That should allow you to fit more on the disc (but don't lower it TOO far - lowering the bitrate lowers the quality. There's also supposed to be a minimum bitrate for a proper DVD-Video disc you shouldn't go under, but I can't remember what it is.)

Even if you created a smaller file, Toast will still look at it and try to encode it to roughly the same 6GB size - and all you'll have done is given Toast a lesser-quality file to use as source.

Ah, the good old Doctor.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Love Tom. Well, there has got to be a way to do what I am trying to do. I hope this conversion ends soon. It's tring to make it into an .mpeg2. The ffmpegx app. Maybe that will help?
    PowerBook 12" G4 user
    Tungsten T2
    iPhone (original 4gb)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BroCraig
    Well, i am wanting to burn to dvd to watch on the tv. Toast looked at it and thought it was too big. Toast told me it needed 6.3 gb to burn to dvd. NOT. Not sure why. I'm converting it hoping it will be smaller.
    What's the run time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's like 1:48:43 or something. It's not horribly long.

After running ffmpegx on it I got a file:
    avi.ff.ac3
    avi.ff.pmg and a two folders one video and one audio. The Audio one is empty and the video one has two files. One vts_01_1.VOB and one that is labeled VTS_01_2.VOB

The video folder is 3.42 gb

Wondering if i can burn one or some of these and they will work?
    PowerBook 12" G4 user
    Tungsten T2
    iPhone (original 4gb)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's like 1:48:43 or something. It's not horribly long.
    That should easily fit on a 4.7GB disc. You'll need a video bitrate of about 5300 kb/s. See if your app has a place to set it. The quality should be acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    two folders one video and one audio. The Audio one is empty and the video one has two files. One vts_01_1.VOB and one that is labeled VTS_01_2.VOB

Those two folders ARE a DVD. I'm guessing you are on a Mac....but I have NO idea
    why others are making this so difficult for you by throwing all this technical jargon
    at you. What that program gave you IS a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    two folders one video and one audio. The Audio one is empty and the video one has two files. One vts_01_1.VOB and one that is labeled VTS_01_2.VOB

Those two folders ARE a DVD. I'm guessing you are on a Mac....but I have NO idea
    why others are making this so difficult for you by throwing all this technical jargon
    at you.
    What that program gave you IS a DVD.
    Cuz he said:
    Well, i am wanting to burn to dvd to watch on the tv. Toast looked at it and thought it was too big. Toast told me it needed 6.3 gb to burn to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I burned it and it worked!!! I burned a second one widescreen and it looks fine!!! woo hoo!
    PowerBook 12" G4 user
    Tungsten T2
    iPhone (original 4gb)
    Quote Quote