VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed this online:

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2009/08/14/43798/Fuji-100-Pack-DVD-R-Spindle

I still have some Fuji 8x -R blanks, different color discs from the period in which they were being manufactured by TY. But I'm thinking those days must be long gone. As this is such a good price for a 100-spindle, I'm going to ask if the Fujis are still any good ? If even Verbatim has been slipping the last year or so, probably not . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last I know is those FUJI's are RITEKS or CMC which is crap.
    Better to just buy SONY printables DVD+/-R from Costco's coupon book. Buy (1) 100 pack get the second one free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fuji hasn't been good for a long time now.
    See www.nomorecoasters.com
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. not worth the saving over Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim.

Think about it, you save 20 cents per disc, use 1000 of them, you save $200, and in 5 years time you find you cannot play them, thats $40 per year, $3.33 per month, really is it worth it
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    not worth the saving over Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim.

Think about it, you save 20 cents per disc, use 1000 of them, you save $200, and in 5 years time you find you cannot play them, thats $40 per year, $3.33 per month, really is it worth it
    5 years ??

Being a bit optimistic eh.....

Yep... i remember when Fuji were all TY back in the day... that was nice!!!!!!
    Could walk into BestBuy and pick up a 100 pack for $25.00-$30.00!!
    And knew they were gonna be the best you could buy........

I have been exclusively Verbatim for many years since then....

It all started back in the day before dvdr's existed and i got hooked on Verbatim cdr's.

Once upon a time there was a man....
    Oh sorry....
    I digress.....
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not because the discs "went bad", but more because you didn't even try to use the disc again for 5 years.
    That's the de-myth'd version.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Not because the discs "went bad", but more because you didn't even try to use the disc again for 5 years.
    That's the de-myth'd version.
    So -- if the storage of the discs was o.k. -- you're not suggesting that they need to be played periodically to keep them good, are you ? More like they should have been tested for playability right after burning . . . ?

I try to do that with every disc that I make, whether it is on the computer or with a DVDR. But I have a very extensive collection, and the reality is that I may not try to watch a recording again (or, really, even for the first time, in the case of many movies I've recorded off of cable) for as much as 4 years. There's always a huge backlog, and only so much free time for watching stuff, so it can be quite a while before I get around to seeing it. If there is any positive in this, it is that only a relative minority of the disc accumulation was intended to be long-term archival: the typical movie or program I recorded is something I would just want to see once.

But it's no big deal to take a freshly made disc and randomly scan a few places on it, to make sure they have sound & picture, and don't freeze up on you. (I do this on a regular standalone player.) It's no guarantee, but is about the best that is practical. I'm not gonna generate one of those defect graphs for most of these discs.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, meaning you didn't notice the flaws present the minute it was burned. They do not magically appear a few years later, you just never noticed they were there.

The problem mostly affects people that burn too much. (Especially those fools who want to "back up" Netflix or Blockbuster.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't insult the fools...ops
    most of the stuff I wouldn't bother to waste the time or 13 cents copying
    but I have a wife...
    Quote Quote