VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple old workhorse desktops that are running XP.
    It seems win7 requires full reinstallation on XP machines, and I was considering upgrading the mobo & CPU on one of them anyway. With a Vista laptop too, the Family Pack Upgrade looks like best bet.

I was wondering if it makes sense to upgrade the hardware (mobo & CPU) now under XP, so the machine would need a w7 upgrade instead of a full version.

But... what exactly is M$'s policy on XP reinstalls? Do they consider it the chip, or the board, or the OS's HD?
    And would the timeframe be really short, or on into the demise of XP support?
    (And, ditto this Q for Norton and any other machine-locked softwares.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ahhaa
    But... what exactly is M$'s policy on XP reinstalls? Do they consider it the chip, or the board, or the OS's HD?
    It's a combination of parts. CPU, motherboard, NIC, drives, RAM, graphics card, etc. Some number (6 I think, NIC counts as 2) can change within some period of time (6 months?) before it's considered a different computer. If your reinstall won't activate you can usually call MS and say your motherboard died and you had to replace it -- they'll usually accept that.
    Quote Quote