VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there.

I have authored a holiday tape by rendering an XviD in Vegas 8 and then burning it onto a DVD (as a single AVI). When I play it on my computer, it looks great. But when I play it on TV/DVD, the video jitters like crazy. When the camera pans or zooms, big square blocky artifacts are mucking about on-screen, usually where there's a big difference in colour (like the contours of a building against a sky backdrop for example). They aren't discolored, just "not where they're supposed to be".

Since I normally just watch stuff on my computer (the DVD is for my father), I never really have this problem, and since I author about one DVD every other year, I don't have enough skill to know just what the hell to do about those artifacts (and the skill I acquire during those periods, I usually forget half of).

I tried playing it on our plasma tv and also on my CRT tv. The results are nigh identical. The audio is playing correctly, in case you need to know that.

The file is encoded as 720x576 (orig size), 25 FPS, 6313kbps xvid (file size 2.47GB). I don't encode as a DVDR (which probably would be the simplest way) because the ultra cranky DVD player in our living room can't handle them. It usually plays xvids fine though.
    The input files are uncompressed FFDS avi files captured in Sony Video Capture from our DV cam.

I also tried splitting it up into several smaller portions (i.e 24 avi files), but that didn't help in any way.

If I need to provide additional details just say so!

Thanks for reading
    Quote Quote  
  2. A possible explanation is that some standalone players cannot handle bitrates >2-3000kbps for xvid/divx

other possibilities

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yes, that does in fact sound familiar, now that you mention it. I remember having slightly similiar problems before. Guess I'm gonna try re-encode it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many don't like files larger than 2 GB in size either. I have one that refuses to play them, and one that play them up to the 2 GB mark, then stops.

That said, xvid is an awful format for TVs. The compression always does damage and the better and bigger the TV, the more noticeable it is. Why not just create a real DVD. The quality will be far higher than an Xvid file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Many don't like files larger than 2 GB in size either. I have one that refuses to play them, and one that play them up to the 2 GB mark, then stops.

That said, xvid is an awful format for TVs. The compression always does damage and the better and bigger the TV, the more noticeable it is. Why not just create a real DVD. The quality will be far higher than an Xvid file.
    Like I stated in the first post, the DVD player is really cranky when it comes to homemade DVDs. It refuses to play them. It can play bought DVDs fine though.

Anyway, I fixed it thanks to poisondeathray's linkage. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by skribby
    the DVD player is really cranky when it comes to homemade DVDs. It refuses to play them. It can play bought DVDs fine though.
    Buy good discs and make a DVD anyway....for long-term preservation at least. Players don't last forever.
    Your present player may soon die and you'll wish you had these family memories in better quality.
    Even good quality DVDs (like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim) are cheap and easy to store.
    Quote Quote