VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Wich is better

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Im now very confused and dont know wich one I've to choose.
    What is better in WinDV type 1 or type 2?

Some say type 2 is the way to go http://objectmix.com/adobe-premiere/234102-windv-questions.html
    Others say there is no diffrence and you just have to convert it to type 2.

I´ve captured a VHS tape trough my camcorder but the audio goes out of sync, the more the video plays.
    I´ve lost only 5 frames does that make this result? cause I think it more than that.

I dont need to transcode (maybe in the future) now I just always convert the DV-AVI files always with Vegas to MPEG2 without quality loss and burn that to a DVD.

Final question what is a sound click/pop? Has anyone a sample of that?

Wich one would you suggest? I've made a poll if you are sure could you also comment why it's better
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Five dropped frames would result in a 1/5 second A/V desync, at worst. Your problem with A/V sync probably has nothing to do with the dropped frames reported by WinDV but rather loss of video sync inside the camcorder (from a bad sync signal on the VHS tape). You probably won't be able to fix that except by adjusting the video or audio length after capturing. The other option would be to get a full frame time base corrector but that will cost you about US$300.

Regarding type 1 vs type 2 DV -- use whatever your software accepts. The only difference is type 2 contains a second copy of the audio track explicitly marked as audio in the AVI container. Both type 1 and type 2 have a copy of the audio track multiplexed in the video stream (but many programs can't access that copy).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back when the CPU was less powerful than today, Type 2 allowed edit programs to preview the timeline with less CPU activity. Type 2 was the default requirement but today most edit programs will accept and convert Type 1.

Type 1 is about 6% more efficient for file copy transmission and storage.

As Jagabo points out, your frames are being dropped during A/D processing before conversion to DV. This has nothing to do with Type 1 or 2 DV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video plays fine if do this in VirtualDub

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" -
    and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

But how do I have to save the video in virtualDub with the same format DV-Avi? I did as Save old format avi with direct stream on both Audio and Video. But after I've saved I opened the video duration was 2 minutes and played slower.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, what is the best way to save the video in VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try the regular AVI export from VirtualDub. The old format can't handle over 4 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now it works, thanks!
    Media player opens the file better then VLC.
    The audio is working perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the audio now in perfect sync at all points in the video?
    That would suggest the problem was due to some uniform divergence between the two during capture.
    Would a bad sync signal on the VHS tape cause this, or would you expect that to be more variable in its effect?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used:
    S-video to Camcorder
    RCA to RCA joiner to RCA to 3,5mm jack.

RCA joiner

Maybe the audio gets slower/faster then the video cause of the use of 2 diffrent connectors.

This solved it with (VirtualDub):

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" -
    and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Set under Video to Direct Stream copy and do this the same to audio.

Save as AVI. The file size/quality will be the same but with the good audio.
    Quote Quote