VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have captured tapes from my VCR with the camcorder (VCR>Camcorder>Firewire to the PC).
    There is a problem, the audio goes out of sync after 2 hours (more time> more out of sync).
    My question is will the DVD player fix this problem? Like it does with interlacing, enhancing quality etc

This is what I've found on the internet:

B) If the difference increases as the movie plays:

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" -
    and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Save with a new filename.

I've test this but I can't save it to the MPEG2 format.
    I've rendered already a 40GB DV-AVI to 9GB MPEG2 (with Vegas) but I cant open that file with Vdub so I've to rerendered it again with Vdub. I would rather have that Vegas encode it cause it does lossless.

It was a simple fix so I expect that a DVD player would do the job but Im not sure so thats why I ask here.
    To make it short will the DVD player fix this problem?

If the file is ready I would just burn a Data DVD with Nero, I dont want to have menus etc
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think your DVD player will be any help with this. My first guess is that you are dropping frames when transferring the DV to the computer.

What program are you using for the transfer? WinDV is popular for this and should tell you if you are dropping frames. If the video has good sync up to a certain period, you might try doing the transfers in smaller pieces and joining them afterwards.

And this isn't Video Streaming. Moving you to our Camcorders (DV/HDV/AVCHD) Forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes. 40GB is over 3 hours in one go. This means other than SP tape speed.

I agree on WinDV and shorter caps. Try a one hour test first.

BTW my caps off an ADVC-100 have never shown audio slip even for 10 hours but this wasn't VHS source.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used WinDV and yes it has dropped 5 frames during the capture and the funny thing is all in the first hour. In the beginning I opened firefox for 5 minutes and done some other little bussiness after a hour of 2 also. I thought my computer could handle this (check my specs). Is 5 frames a lot or normal? I can capture again and leave the power to maximum and this time without preview, antivirus etc.
    I found this article http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050729_prevent_frame_dropping_during_video_capture.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm capturing with type 1 on WinDV (on my other PC).
    I've heard that type 2 is causing this out of sync

2. Type 1 vs Type 2 DV transfer has nothing to do with audio quality. They differ as to whether the audio is carried in the video signal or sent separately. The quality is the same. If you don't hear audio using one type, then try the other.

Wil there be any loss If I choose type 1? I dont want to recap my same VHS everyday the quality goes worse on VHS tapes everyday. I want to make a final decision.

Or could WinDV be the problem? I'v seen this https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVIO
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But the answer for this topic is answered, the DVD player will not fix this problem. I've opened a new topic about type 1 vs type 2.
    Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abas-Avara
    But the answer for this topic is answered, the DVD player will not fix this problem. I've opened a new topic about type 1 vs type 2.
    Thanks for the help
    Are you capturing to a separate drive from the OS drive? If so a Core2 duo machine should not drop frames while browsing. DV capture is low in resource usage.

Capture to the OS drive can cause lost frames when the OS or an application takes priority on the drive. A second ATA or SATA/eSATA drive will capture without interrupt from the OS or applications. In contrast a USB drive uses a software process for disk control so is potentially subject to OS interrupt.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by Abas-Avara
    Thanks for the help
    Are you capturing to a separate drive from the OS drive? If so a Core2 duo machine should not drop frames while browsing. DV capture is low in resource usage.

Capture to the OS drive can cause lost frames when the OS or an application takes priority on the drive. A second ATA or SATA/eSATA drive will capture without interrupt from the OS or applications. In contrast a USB drive uses a software process for disk control so is potentially subject to OS interrupt.
    I've only dropped 5 frames but I had also more applications on.
    In the new topic I opened jagabo said that the problem is the VCR, it hasn't TBC.

link to new topic https://forum.videohelp.com/topic371901.html
    Quote Quote