VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Bought a DVD, plays fine on computer and DVD player. But when viewing file directories, it shows 60+GB in size.

I need a backup just in case. Tried VobBlanker, AviDemux, DVD43, DVDShrink, InfraRecorder, they are all fooled by the files in the Video_TS.

Any idea what software can be used? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDFabDecrypter?
    (Yes....it is free....the pay version has extra features)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I tried that one too. It just keeps running Open DVD Source and never finishes.

I guess the disc uses some kind of file scrambler, it has names like VTS_90..., probably throw any program into a dead loop. BTW, Windows file copy doesn't work either, it's just keep on going.

If an 5 year old $40 DVD player can handle it, there got to be a way Windows can do it too, can it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Which DVD is it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Run FixVTS and then DVDShrink the fixed results.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech
    Run FixVTS and then DVDShrink the fixed results.

-drjtech
    How does he do that when he can't even get anything off of the disc?
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's not an officially pushed title, some personal instructional DVD and you can clearly tell it's burned onto a DVDR.

How come every player on my computer can play it without any problem, but no file based software can handle it? Is there a player that can stream what it's playing into a file?

I just need a backup and also be able to play it repeatedly frame by frame without spinning the original disc all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. an old tool that just follows the movie file chain might work. ifoedit comes to mind, but has a steap learning curve. the old DVDDecrypter maybe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's just written to a standard DVD-R, wouldn't it theoretically be possible to just do a disc-to-disc copy, or copy the files directly in Explorer?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you view the DVD in windows explorer? If so can you drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto your desktop?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for all the help. I tried DVDDecrypter, but the content are actually not encrypted, it just never finished reading. In window Explorer, there are 90+ VOB files totaling 60+GB, of course all dummy files. 1ClickDVDCopy is actually smart enough to filter out the dummy ones, but it got stuck reading bad sectors.

I think the disc is using a combination of dummy files, illegal toc and bad sectors. Most software mentioned here are file based. But without getting around these hurdles, you can't get to the real files.

I guess there are 3 possible solutions:
    - A way to defeat the above mentioned protection
    - A ripping software that is not file based, but rather a player that streams content out
    - A DVD copy software that does raw copy without reading file system

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that one of your problems may be that the disc itself is bad. It may be burned onto bad quality media. If so, that's just adding to your pain.

If you want to dig through the threads, I think it may be in the VCD section, but I remember a long discussion once on ways to make VCDs and/or DVDs uncopyable. Some guy in Poland had a method that he said was incredibly difficult to defeat. I remember there were some details about it and I think it used an illegal TOC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Good news. You can stream a DVD into a file using VLC, just need to play with encoding setting a little more to get better quality. It's kind of solution 2.

So the remaining tasks are more academic. I heard this dummy files/illegal toc/bad sector is a more aggressive form of copy protection originated from Germany. Just a matter of who and when can crack it ^_^

Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Downloading the free trial demo of CloneDVD/ANYDVD from the SlySoft website will often crack this sort of thing. Only drawback is its a one-shot solution: use it once, and the clock starts ticking on the free trial. After 30 days it won't work anymore and downloading it a second time won't reset the clock. Still, if all else fails...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another option which people forget but is a nearly failsafe backup when all else won't is to play the disc on your DVD player out to a cap card.

Sure you lose a generation, but you get a straight single title with none of the other crap.

Scott

>>>>>>>>>>>
    edit: Note that since this is a DVD-R you wouldn't have Macrovision flag to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by orsetto
    Downloading the free trial demo of CloneDVD/ANYDVD from the SlySoft website will often crack this sort of thing. Only drawback is its a one-shot solution: use it once, and the clock starts ticking on the free trial. After 30 days it won't work anymore and downloading it a second time won't reset the clock. Still, if all else fails...
    AnyDVD did it. When I tried previously, I was thinking backup and only tried CloneDVD. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote