VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, I have a DVD movie (it happens to be Pirates of the Carribean 3 and yes I own it lol) that I want to be able to extract all the major scenes with Bill Nighy, the incredible Brit beneath the octopus head who plays Davy Jones. I just love this guy, and would like to stitch together his major scenes so that when I'm feeling blue I can pop Bill into the DVD player and LAUGH.

I've done this only once before in the past, extracting Lonette McKee's immortal rendition of Harold Arlen's ((( ILL WIND ))) from Coppola's The Cotton Club (which I also own). It was not a pleasant experience to put it bluntly; so what I'd like to know is if there is an affordable shareware/commercial product that includes all of the steps necessary in one program.

I want to be able to play, sequentially, all of Bill Nighy's scenes in one running stream off of a DVD I make of just him. I don't need anything for BluRay, I just have your basic inexpensive DVD player, as well as DVD drives in my computers. I just don't want to have to 1) learn, 2) open, and then 3) use three different programs to do this. Is there one program that can do all three for, say, less than $100? Thanks!

Miss Chievous
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use the reauthor feature of dvdshrink
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Use the reauthor feature of dvdshrink
    Nope, it doesn't work. I get data errors on any function of this program.

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    rip the dvd to the hard drive first with dvdfabhddecrypter

Then reauthor with dvdshrink

Sorry. Should have been more descriptive. dvdshrink won't handle newer copy protections. Thats why you must rip it with an updated program like dvdfab. After ripped to your hard drive dvdshrink will work no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    rip the dvd to the hard drive first with dvdfabhddecrypter

Then reauthor with dvdshrink

Sorry. Should have been more descriptive. dvdshrink won't handle newer copy protections. Thats why you must rip it with an updated program like dvdfab. After ripped to your hard drive dvdshrink will work no problems.
    Okay, I'm downloading Fab right now freebird. I have to ask you though, I didn't see any options for pinpointing, down-to-the-frame where, in DVDShrink, I specify the extraction to happen. If the program can't do this, then a crude extraction is not acceptable. This is all coming back to me now -- I tried a few different programs but only got one to work where I could get it down to the frame itself for the music video I extracted from Cotton Club. It was very tricky, because the sequence begins with exactly one lingering piano key for about 2-1/2 seconds . . . and then she dives into her number. It was just as tricky figuring out where to cut off the sequence -- this is, after all, a Coppola mob film, and the transition wasn't filmed to be comfortably extracted.

Where in Shrink will I be able to get down to the frame level for the extraction?

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well honestly shrink is not a frame accurate editor. If you want a frame accurate editor you might look at a womble mpegvideowizard or videoredo. Both of which are frame accurate and will open unencrypted vobs directly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want a frame accurate editor you might look at a womble mpegvideowizard or videoredo. Both of which are frame accurate and will open unencrypted vobs directly.
    Hi freebird, I just wanted to thank you for your help on this. I kept crashing DVDFab but finally pulled the movie into VOB's (not the program, I assure you, just my old computer ha ha).

I'm not terribly keen on the interfaces of these two products. Is there one Videohelp Category that holds every program that can edit an unencrypted VOB? because I'm just a little overwhelmed by the selection heh heh. PC, incidentally.

And lastly, are you saying that MPEGs are the only format I should consider frame editing, or just the best one? I want these rips to play on both my DVD player and my computer, but I do want quality.

MISS CHIEVOUS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS
    Is there one Videohelp Category that holds every program that can edit an unencrypted VOB? because I'm just a little overwhelmed by the selection heh heh. PC, incidentally.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-mpg-dvd

And lastly, are you saying that MPEGs are the only format I should consider frame editing, or just the best one? I want these rips to play on both my DVD player and my computer, but I do want quality.
    DVD video is mpeg. It's just in a vob container. So when you are wanting to cut/edit a DVD then you want to look for an mpeg editor.

Check the link i just posted for the video help tools page of mped editors. There are lots to choose from. I just suggested the two that I believe are probably the best at what they do. Both offer basically lossless frame accurate cuts. They only re-encode the areas where the cut has been made. Some of the other editors listed on that page re-encode the whole file or are not frame accurate.

Most are either freeware or offer a 30 day trial so try them all and decide what you like best. I still think your best bet will be to use mpegvideowizard, the older mpeg-vcr, or videoredo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi again freebird. I was hanging out in the EDITING forum, which I didn't even realize was here.

I managed to hunt down the stable version of AVIDEMUX (2.4.4) and actually provided a link to it in the EDITING forum because the link here on videohelp is broken. I'm downloading it now with my ancient dial-up. Yes, well . . . lol

Wow, I can't thank you so much for just simply explaining that VODs are MPEGs! Egads that probably eliminates half of my confusion.

Now when I finally got FAB to rip the POTC it gave me two directories:
    [AUDIO_TS]
    [VIDEO_TS]
    There was nothing in the audio folder (?) but the video folder has the following two file types in addition to the VOBs:
    ~.bup
    ~.ifo

Do I need these? and — was there supposed to be something in the [AUDIO_TS] directory?

MISS CHIEVOUS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The audio directory is supposed to be empty. IIRC it was at one time set intended for audio only dvds but it is still included in all dvds. Just empty directory.

ifo is a file that stores information about Chapters, Subtitles and Audio Tracks. Tells the dvd player what to play and how to play it.
    bup is a backup of the ifo

All you need is the vob's
    I'll try to set up a work flow for you

1 Rip dvd to hard drive - already done-
    2 Combine the main movies vob's into one big mpeg - optional (also this step is lossless. Just strips the mpeg out of the vob's and combines them. Should make it easier to edit rather than dealing with a bunch of vob files) -
    3 Edit/Cut scenes with your desired mpeg editor and save to new mpeg
    4 Author your new mpeg to dvd with authoring software like guifordvdauthor

That should about cover your needs. There are plenty of guides here for almost all software listed so I won't go into how to use them individually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you again freebird. I think what I appreciate most about your advice is that you get me out of the weeds and up above the forest so I can see (as you articulated it more gracefully than I can ever put it) the workflow. I also had an epiphany upon realizing that I've been casually throwing around xxcrypters without realizing that I have to decrypt before I can encrypt DUH lol. I've got AVIDEMUX working and (trumpets) have found the opening title page of POTC, hiding out in a preview VOB!!! Unggh. No wonder I was losing my mind trying to find this clip! I'll go bug the EDITING forum now because I've successfully sliced out the opening but have no idea what to save it as. I've begun, that's what matters. Thanks again hon.

MC
    Quote Quote