VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I'd like to know what is the most accepted codec pack for download out there since I my computer was previously filled with many of them (K-Lite Codec Pack, Combined Community Codec Pack, etc.) and now I have decided to uninstall all of them!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    none
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    0, zilch, nadda, zip,
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just install the necessary codecs such as xvid and haali media splitter,codecs packs install way too many codecs and can screw up media playback due to conflicting codecs.Also you can install ffdshow which contains the codecs needed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ohh, okay! I get it! I'm using Media Player Classic and I'd like to know how to make those ffdshow little icons (video decoder and audio decoder) appear on the tray everytime I load a movie or something - I just love to watch the bitrate numbers from there, hehe.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPC may be using its internal codecs for some . In those cases ffdshow wouldn't be used. You can disable the internal codecs via View -> Options -> Internal Filters...

By the way, MPCHC has more built-in codecs and is the successor to MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo
    MPC may be using its internal codecs for some . In those cases ffdshow wouldn't be used. You can disable the internal codecs via View -> Options -> Internal Filters...

By the way, MPCHC has more built-in codecs and is the successor to MPC.
    Ohh, okay! I've just downloaded the Home Cinema player now, thanks!

Now I'd like to know which codecs do you guys prefer in terms of output quality: the built-in from MPCHC or latest ffdshow?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. MPCHC uses a private build of ffdshow. So there shouldn't be any difference unless ffdshow has made recent improvements.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo
    MPCHC uses a private build of ffdshow. So there shouldn't be any difference unless ffdshow has made recent improvements.
    Hum, OK!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If all that is needed is video playback (no encoding), then you can simply use the video players that use internal codecs (VLC Player, GOM Player, etc...).
    No need to install any codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Just install the necessary codecs such as xvid and haali media splitter,codecs packs install way too many codecs and can screw up media playback due to conflicting codecs.Also you can install ffdshow which contains the codecs needed.
    Codecs do not conflict...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Xpenguin17
    Sure, talk to the hundreds of people who've posted here over the years with problems created by K-Lite.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Xpenguin17
    What do they do then? Because when I had a bunch of installed codecs here (I didn't even know what I was doing in fact, lol) MPC sometimes would just not play some basic .AVI or .MPEG files. It showed format not supported or about not being able to do something about graphs, can't remember well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They install in a pre-established pattern that may override your existing installed codecs. The preferred splitter, merits and decoder choice become set by the codec pack, especially if you do the default install and don't manually go through each option in the custom install. In addition, they install lots of "junk" that you don't need. So they can cause "conflicts" (e.g. say you have a capture device or other hardware that depends on a specific directshow chain or filter, they often get replaced by the codec pack, making it non functional).

It's usually recommended to install just what you need, when you need it. It's easier to debug and troubleshoot when you do have problems this way. With a codec pack you have more difficulty because of the 100's of splitter, decoders installed.

You can use graphstudio and/or radlight filter manager to help sort out directshow codecs, and vcswap to help sort out vfw type codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xpenguin17
    Yes, they can, and often do. You are wrong. I can only assume you've been lucky enough to not notice (but I bet your system still has problems you've not yet witnessed!)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    ...............(but I bet your system still has problems you've not yet witnessed!)
    Yogi Berra ..did you hear that ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Bet you use k-lite. :P
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A good splitter renders the video thru Directshow and flips thru alternative filters only when necessary. K-Lite codec pack is well set up -- I've used it since 2003 and never had any problems with decoding clips nor system problems. If it does manage to halt your system or rape essential system files, it isn't hard to do a system restore or Windows repair.

Finding and downloading the best versions of individual codecs and setting up custom splitters is a mindfuck for newbs. No reason to give them more shit than they already need to deal with. Then again, some newbs are real retards who can't use a nail clipper without injuring themselves, so giving them a playground of codecs may not be the best idea either.

Meh.....
    Quote Quote  
  19. One may not notice the problems caused by K-lite for weeks. By then it may be too late, or a huge pain, to do a system restore. Especially if any other video software has been installed and/or uninstalled in the interim.

Use ffdshow instead. It contains all the decoders that most people will need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do I need to update my ffdshow if it's tryouts revision 2364 from Nov 24 2008?
    If so, where from, please?
    I like to stay up to date
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    o I need to update my ffdshow if it's tryouts revision 2364 from Nov 24 2008?
    If so, where from, please?
    I like to stay up to date
    My friend, you are 1 year behind.
    The last version is r3065 2009-09-02 and you can download it here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow
    Quote Quote  
  22. I use the Combined Community Codec Pack (which is for the sort of people who used to use DefilerPak). Stripped-down pack consisting mainly of MPC-HC, ffdshow-tryouts and Haali's splitter, maintained by some very experienced encoder folks.

K-Lite has gotten somewhat better nowadays, unlike the early years when it was a horrible and conflicting mess. (Of course, that's just what I've heard.) I still wouldn't use it, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, updated OK and doesn't seem to have broken anything
    Hasn't fixed anything either
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by MJ Peg
    Hasn't fixed anything either
    What's broken?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On a fresh install the K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) is a good choice. It will enable you to play almost anything, including DVDs in WMP. Folks always talk about all the stuff it K-Lite installs. There is no forced mass install. The installer gives you a choice of what you actually want installed. I wouldn't want to use it on a previously working system that has developed codec issues, but for a fresh install the Standard pack is a good starting point with well chosen, compatible components. It will eliminate 99% of the posts that start with "I downloaded this file and can't get it to play".

Contents of K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard)

Below you can find a list of all components that are included in the pack.

Contents of version 5.1.0:

Player:

* Media Player Classic Homecinema [version 1.2.1008.0]

ffdshow:

* ffdshow [revision 3065]

DirectShow video decoding filters:

* MPEG-2 (Cyberlink) [version 8.4.0.615]

DirectShow source filters:

* Haali Media Splitter [version 1.9.42.1]
    * MP4 splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1268.0]
    * FLV splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1268.0]
    * MPEG PS/TS splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1268.0]

DirectShow subtitle filter:

* DirectVobSub (a.k.a. VSFilter) [version 2.39.5.2]

Other filters:

* Haali Video Renderer [version 1.9.42.1]

Tools:

* Codec Tweak Tool [version 3.1.0]
    * MediaInfo Lite [version 0.7.20]

Their FAQ also contains many good explanations and solutions for a multitude of problems.

http://www.codecguide.com/faq.htm

Their explanation of the difference between filters and codecs is also worth a read.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's broken?
    Well, I'm trying to get AVCHD Lite (720p25) to work well in a free Windows NLE. As WMM on my system doesn't do HD and is limited in formats, and I don't fancy the new Windows Live MM, I'm currently using VideoPad instead. But, as being discussed here https://forum.videohelp.com/topic372774.html I'm having trouble getting things just as I'd like.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  27. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    MysticE wrote:

Contents of K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard)

Contents of version 5.1.0:

Player:

* Media Player Classic Homecinema [version 1.2.1008.0]
    OK.

ffdshow:

* ffdshow [revision 3065]
    50% OK. The latest versions of ffdshow have brought us
    more bugs than solutions.

DirectShow video decoding filters:

* MPEG-2 (Cyberlink) [version 8.4.0.615]
    Should be DScaler_5.

DirectShow source filters:

* Haali Media Splitter [version 1.9.42.1]
    * MP4 splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1268.0]
    * FLV splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1268.0]
    If Haali is set to NOT disable the internal MKV splitter of MPC,
    then that's OK.

DirectShow subtitle filter:

* DirectVobSub (a.k.a. VSFilter) [version 2.39.5.2]
    Version 2.39 still has a formatting issue with embedded .SRT streams.

Other filters:

* Haali Video Renderer [version 1.9.42.1]

Tools:

* Codec Tweak Tool [version 3.1.0]
    * MediaInfo Lite [version 0.7.20]
    OK.
    Quote Quote