VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Avidemux, but it ALWAYS makes the audio out of sync. What's a better tool to cut/trim MKV videos?

also, how do I set an exact file size in Handbrake? I tried putting in 4370mb but the encoding made the video 4.41gb. I want it to be exactly 4.37gb
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    umm anyone?..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using that method up til now, and it gets annoying. I'm looking for something more practical, since I'm gonna be doing a lot of cutting.

Something like Virtualdub, but with full support for MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid it don't exist, dawg. Your best option is to remux into an AVI container to edit in Virtualdub. It may not be able to edit every audio format direct stream though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try formatfactory. I had a look at it yesterday for mkv. It is a little sparse in terms of total customization on settings but it does have cutting abiltiy for mkv videos. Though I haven't cut a mkv myself with it so I don't know if it has sync issues also. Worth a try and its free.

edit - it doesn't seem to have total cut ability. It does at least let you select a range of the video you want to take out. It might mean you have to do it multiple times from the same video. It might be less useful for your needs than I initally thought. But another mkv tool can never hurt.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. yep this topic is old, but seems unsovled yet....

i bring my experience.
    Since almost 6 years, i cut, trim mkv files (by time range, not by size) with boilsoft video splitter.
    it always file my desire.

but it is not perfect :
    - well it is not free (aroun 30€) but it does its job
    - and it always provides all the part to split. It is a bore thing because when you have a big 8GB video and you need a little part in it, then it will always save the tree parts ! not only the one you want.
    i search many time to find whenever it is normal or not, but yes, there is no options to only extract (trim) the part you selected.

but it does its job !

i'm still searching for another software to cut-trim a video mkv but no found. i dream of something like the real-perfect TSSplitter.exe for TS file who wiul lsupport MKV too ! it is a dream...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Video to Video Converter. Try the "Split Videos" option under the Tools menu. When it asks you to select a conversion preset, choose Direct Stream Copy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. or perhaps SolveigMM AVI Trimmer+MKV (Free) or SolveigMM Video Splitter (Not free) but frame accurate smart cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try AviUtl (free). If the audio drifted away, you can use the included NLE to shift the audio track manually(frame-wise accuracy). The included x264/x265 encoder GUI also allows you to set file size and bitrate limits (use the NicoNico profiles for reference)
    Muxing to mkv is also supported.
    Quote Quote  
  10. a dedicate tool like "TSSplitter.exe for TS file" but for MKV would be perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Video to Video Converter. Try the "Split Videos" option under the Tools menu. When it asks you to select a conversion preset, choose Direct Stream Copy.
    Well, this thread has been necro'd once already, might as well do it again since this is the first link that comes up in Google when you search for "trim an .mkv file." I gave Video to Video Converter a try and it works well. It seems to be perfectly free and fairly easy to use. Give it a shot if you're looking to decrease .mkv file size by simply removing parts of the video without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  12. well, since 2009 i search & search again....

then i find it : mkvtoolnix
    it can cut/trim avery MKV (and mp4 too) video i give it !

there is only one problem : you need to enter the date-time of trim (hh:mms-hh:mms) by typing on keyboard.
    a real GUI would be please, but it does the job : cut/trim well !
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Michael REMY View Post
    well, since 2009 i search & search again....

then i find it : mkvtoolnix
    it can cut/trim avery MKV (and mp4 too) video i give it !

there is only one problem : you need to enter the date-time of trim (hh:mms-hh:mms) by typing on keyboard.
    a real GUI would be please, but it does the job : cut/trim well !
    I use this tool, but... how to I cut/trim?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ilansh
    Mkvtoolnix can split but only on keyframes, can you load the mkv file in virtualdub2 and with the buttom 'key previous' or 'key next' to see the frame number or timestamp what do you need. if you specify a frame or timestamp that is not keyframe, the split will happen at the first keyframe next

[Attachment 47096 - Click to enlarge]
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ilansh View Post
    NVM, found it (:
    Quote Quote  
  16. I use to use handbrake but I stoped when I started using Any Video Convertor. It works really well and is very user friendly. I personally don’t, but you can trim files in the program as well.
    Quote Quote