VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really stuck on this. I've ripped a DVD to my hard drive and tried various methods. I've put the audio in sync using VDub but it's not consistent throughout. I tried matching video frame rate to the audio but it more or less puts the audio out of sync backwards (it gradually moves into sync by the end). I've tried using FixVTS to remove blank cells but still no go. I've tried doing individual VOB files instead of using the IFO in AutoGK but it's still not working. More frustrating is that this is Season 6 of the series and ALL the seasons up to this point have converted fine using the most basic of methods. Any help or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gradually increasing sync error usually means the audio and video are different lengths. Check the lengths. You can use a audio editor like Audacity to shrink or stretch the audio.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are dealing with an NTSC DVD.
    Such behaviour can be due to the presence of both NTSC Video (29.97 fps) and Film (23.976 FPS).
    I suggest you to try the following procedure:
    1. Rip your DVD using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and be sure to enable stream processing and choose "demux" to have video and audio demuxed (m2v and ac3 files);
    2. Open your video files (.m2v) in DGIndex and choose "Videp>Field Operation>Force film", then save to a .d2v project;
    3. Create a new AVISynth file (you may want to download the TIVTC plug-in http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/TIVTC/TFM for AVISynth and write following lines:

mpeg2source("name of your .d2v file")
    tfm()

4. Load into VDub.
    Tsuyoshi
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That worked beautifully. The only problem I ran into is that it takes the 16:9 video and stretches/crops it to 4:3. When I set the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 in VLC it works perfectly so it's not distorted permanently I guess. Any ideas on what to change in my Avisynth script or VDubMod to keep it at it's original shape?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could add a resize line to your script, for example:

LanczosResize(624,352)

or other resolution (w,h).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All it does is crop it unfortunately
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What did you use to rip the disc in the first place ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab. I then just remade ISOs with it, mounted with Daemon Tools, and then re-ripped using DVDDecrypter into two single demuxed video/audio files. Opening up the m2v file in DGIndex keeps it at the same ratio. It just seems to be VirtualDub that's flubbing the size post-conversion. It's fine in the preview window.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does it appear it vdub if you try either of these?

* Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1):

Code:
    LanczosResize(640,272,0,0,0,0)
    Or

* source is 1.78:1

Code:
    LanczosResize(704,400,0,0,0,0)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Decrypt to the hard drive using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode. Don't enable Stream Processing and don't demux.

Feed the IFO into AutoGK. It'll crop and resize it properly.
    The only problem I ran into is that it takes the 16:9 video and stretches/crops it to 4:3.
    No it doesn't. You just reencoded the original 720x480 which is really 1.5:1 (or 3:2 using your (incorrect) terminology).

I'm assuming an NTSC DVD source.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well yes I understand that it's really not changing the aspect ratio. However, there was really no better way for me to describe what it was doing since I didn't actually know where it was changing. Since I can still change the aspect ratio in VLC and it comes out fine, I know that it hadn't been converted or what have you. I think that I've been very "on the ball" so far for a n00b so cut me some slack.

Your advice also totally neglects my true problem which was that AutoGK can't process the files without them gradually moving out of sync. I can change my DVD's video display settings (Fill, Fit, etc.) but I can't live with an almost minute sync delay by the end. Thank you for providing me with the correct terminology for future use though.

The LanczosResize for Anamorphic Widescreen worked. Thank you to you as well as the original posters who helped out with the sound issues.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TheDavo
    Your advice also totally neglects my true problem which was that AutoGK can't process the files without them gradually moving out of sync.
    My advice did address your problem. Your problem isn't AutoGK. Your problem is that you initially fed it an improperly decrypted DVD. After you decrypted using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode you no longer had the out-of-synch audio problem. Had you then used AutoGK on that movie, your audio problem would have disappeared.

It's up to the user to prepare the VOBs properly before sending them (or the IFO) to AutoGK. This means, among other things, not using File Mode to put the whole DVD onto the hard drive (and not doing that crazy DVDFab/ISO stuff or whatever you did earlier). tsuyoshi85 put you on the right track when he suggested decrypting using IFO Mode.

You can crop and resize in your AviSynth script also.
    Quote Quote