VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, newbie here! Please have a little patience with me for at least my first 2 or three posts. Search is not helping me much, but it may be that I just don't know what to look for yet.
    I picked up a Hauppauge HD PVR in the hope that I could use it with my laptop to play my console in HD when traveling (since I can't remember the last time I saw an HDTV in a hotel). But the nearly 2 seconds of lag is making the unit pretty much worthless for that purpose.
    I am trying to determine if the lag is inherent to the hardware3 and I should return the box, or something I can solve by using graphedit to use different filters.
    If the lag is due to the need to use the arcsoft demux, is there another filter I can use to display the h.264 stream?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The hauppauge hd pvr is not for playback. It is mainly for capturing. The passthrough is to see the recording while it is playing.

You need a proper video card with component outputs (usually a dongle adapter out of the svideo jack). That will play the video the way it was meant to.

If this is isn't what you mean please be more specific on what problems you have. Playback alone should be done from the computer.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have misunderstood my question. So here is the entire story in excruciating detail.

I travel for work, these are not short trips either. I usally end up staying in a hotel set up for long term stays. I have never once seen one with an HDTV, and they have all been 4x3 aspect ratio.
    In fact, most only have a coaxial RF input. So the best they can manage is something that resembles 480i

I like to play my xbox 360, and at home, I have a TV capable of 1080p which I have grown quite accustom to playing my 360 on.
    The laptop I travel with has a 17" 1400x900 display which is enough to display 720p. While it is a step down from 1080p, it should not be a problem as the display is only 17" on which 1080p would be rather pointless.
    So I purchased the hauppage box to be able to 'capture' video from my 360 to my laptop.
    But here is the kicker, I need this to be realtime, meanijng very little to no delay. Since I enjoy fast paced games such as Halo 3 and Forzza Motrosport 2, nearly any delay in the capture process is unacceptable. With the Hauppauge box, that capture delay is extreme, nearly 2 seconds.

I found this page and build the preview graph:
    Code:
    preview:
    hauppauge hd pvr crossbar -> hauppauge hd pvr capture device (proppage: color settings) -> Hauppauge hd pvr encoder (proppage:encoder settings) ->
    arcsoft mpeg demux (couldn't get it to work with any other demultiplexer)
    create two pins: video (mpeg-2 video) and audio (mpeg-2 audio)
    pid mapping: video 0x1011, audio 0x1100 both elementary stream
    (video) -> arcsoft video decoder -> video renderer
    (audio) -> arcsoft audio decoder -> default directsound device
    However, when I completed the graph, I found that did not fix the lag. The h.264 pin on the Hauppauge HD DVR encoder was routed to the Arcsoft MPEG Demux. Since the filter is common to every graph constructed by the various software I have tried, and my own manual tinkering, I would like to try and eliminate it as the source of the huge delay.
    I would like to try a different graph where the h.264 pin on the capture filter instead is routed to a different filter that may be faster resulting in less delay.

so my questions are:
    1) is the nearly 2 seconds of delay between my pressing a button on my controller and that action being reflected on my laptop screen inherently part of the capture and conversion hardware, or
    2) Might using a different filter for demux and display reduce teh lag to a level where I can actually play games with my laptop acting as teh display?

One again, no HDTV will be available. I am not trying to output to TV either.
    The gioal is to use my laptop to display the video in realtime from my 360.
    I need to determine if the hardware in the Hauppauge HD PVR is introducing the delay. If so, then I need to return the hardware for a refund ASAP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I now I understand. YOu are trying to play games with it in realtime. I am not sure of any capture device that doesn't introduce SOME lag while recording on the pc.

Unfortunately the hauppauge hd pvr only outputs in component cables so if you were to use a tv you would not be able to since you don't have a hdtv or even a edtv with composite inputs available to you.

I know you want to play it on the computer but I don't know if you can do that without some lag.

One thing you might consider is looking into an adapter that will allow you to go from component cables to composite cables so that it will passthrough to an analog tv. However again that diminishes the quality you are looking for.

For this instance you might consider looking into a reasonably priced monitor or tv with component inputs that you could take with you on your trips. Something like a 20" monitor or tv with compononet or hdmi inputs if your 360 is so equipped? That might be a better investment in your case. From the sounds of it your taking your 360 with you anyway so one more piece of equipment doesn't seem to be unreasonable if you want better performance.

You might also be able to find a quality widescreeen monitor for the return price of the hd pvr. Just be sure it has at least component inputs and at most hdmi if your xbox 360 is so equipped.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have all the cables for composite and s-video, and I have been using an Adaptec Gamebridge to play in that mode. It works well with 480i sources and latency is acceptably low. I was hoping to find an HD solution that would work with my laptop/

I am trying to figure out how to take a TV, but it's a bit hard because all my travel involves air travel. i it needs to be durable, and fit in my carry on luggage along with everything else I need.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote