VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought two DVDs from the United States and I need to copy them to play in Australia but, it seems Fox has new copy protection mechanisms. I have tried every program I know and every method I could research but, I just can't seem to copy them.

Here's what I've tried:

Toast (obviously no commercial software will override copy protection)
    Mac The Ripper - copies something that is not playable (seems to be scrambled)
    Fast DVD Copy - also copies a disc that isn't playable. I get a blank screen and I'm not able to get to the menu.

The most successful so far has been RipIt. I managed to rip the VIDEO_TS folder onto the desktop and can play it but I can't burn it with anything: Toast, Burn, Disk Utility.

The most recent was the demo version of Wondershare DVD Copy. It also burned it successfully but, again, I get a blank screen. I have written to Wondershare and I'm waiting for a reply.

DVDBackup won't recognise all the files. It comes up with a file that is about a quarter of the size. VisualHub also can't recognise all of the files. I've also tried DVD2oneX and DragonBurn.

I even tried a method from another post that suggested loading up the disc image in Toast and ripping it with MTR. MTR couldn't read it.

I just tried DVD Ripper for Mac. It said it couldn't read VOB file set 4 and the audio files.

I'm all out of ideas. I would gladly pay for Wondershare if it worked.

Can anybody help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What version of MTR? Newest version is MTR 3.0.r14m.
    Did you post your problem disc in the
    MTR forum over at ripdifferent.com?

Have you also tried Fairmount?
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Mark-Leon
    I bought two DVDs from the United States and I need to copy them to play in Australia but, it seems Fox has new copy protection mechanisms. I have tried every program I know and every method I could research but, I just can't seem to copy them.
    Do you know if the DVD drive you are using still has it's Region Code still present?

Everytime I've swapped out an old DVD drive for a new one, (they do wear out after a few years), I find that with a Region Code 4 DVD and using the latest MTR (ie; MTR 3.0.r14m), it will rip without issue, (mostly, thanks Arccos), but won't work with a different region DVD, such as a Region 1 from the USA.

You may need to "flash" the DVD burners firmware to region code "0". Try here: http://tdb.rpc1.org/

If you've not done this before be very careful as it can render the drive DEAD for good.
    Software to do this on a Mac may be difficult to find. Removing the drive if you can and putting it in a friends PC, if you can, might be the best option.

Just an after thought:
    - Are you getting any ARccOS messages out of MTR at all?
    - How large does MTR say the disc is? If it's something silly like 60Gb you probably have an ARccOS protected disc. MTR will copy an ARccOS protected disc but you may end up with something, as you say, "scrambled". I had this recently with backing up a DVD. It required a specific process to get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, Phase.

Even though I don't know what ARccOS is, I don't think that's the problem because it's not doing what you suggested.

I have considered flashing the drive before but got scared off by all the warnings. This is the second replacement - Pioneer 115D. I've had this one for a while now and it hasn't given me any issues with ripping foreign DVDs until now. Besides, I want my DVDs to be region 0, not just to be able to be played on this DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I meant to reply to terryj before.

Yes, I have the latest version of MTR and I have posted in RipDifferent but, so far, no useful help there either.

I did try Fairmount but, no go. Still won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought. PAL vs NTSC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never had an issue with the format before. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on Australian hardware to play PAL?NTSC?SEACAM.
    Quote Quote  
  8. why not just use dvdfabdecrypter ?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    why not just use dvdfabdecrypter ?
    Is it available for Mac?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried that. Still no go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How do you burn a VIDEO_TS folder on a Mac?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 please don't hijack my thread. I'm trying to get some help. If you'd like some general help with burning, look up the other threads or start one of your own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mark-Leon
    hech54 please don't hijack my thread. I'm trying to get some help. If you'd like some general help with burning, look up the other threads or start one of your own.
    He's asking how YOU DO IT because he thinks YOU MESSED UP.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my original post, I explained that I used Toast, Burn and Disk Utility to burn the VIDEO_TS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In my original post, I explained that I used Toast, Burn and Disk Utility to burn the VIDEO_TS.
    How many VIDEO_TS folder have you successfully burned in the past?
    Success meaning they have played in the DVD player attached to your TV?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf, hech54 wants to know how to burn a VIDEO_TS "on a Mac". That's best left for another thread.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech54, it would be in the thousands now. Mostly, I use Toast.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For copying DVDs, Fast DVD Copy usually works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, sorry, I just re-read the last part of your post. I don't have a stand alone DVD player. My computer screen is my TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm just trying to understand how you have a playable VIDEO_TS folder on your desktop but you cannot burn it. On a PC....a playable VIDEO_TS folder means a successful decryption of the copy protection....and you are good to go.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. I have actually watched one of the movies right through on the computer but, when I try to burn it, I get a blank screen. DVD Player opens it alright. No error codes but, it's blank. I don't get it.

I tried creating a .iso first with Disk Utility but, it reads as just a file on a disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    On a PC....a playable VIDEO_TS folder means a successful decryption of the copy protection....and you are good to go.
    I've never considered Apple DVD Player's being able to play a ripper created VIDEO_TS folder a guarantee of an entirely functional burn.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm....I guess I missed the part where the OP says he is using Apple's DVD Player this way.

That said, it's not clear that there are many players that can offer a 100% guarantee of compliance testing. However, DVD Player is indeed fussier than, say, VLC or mplayer, so it provides at least some reasonable level of "stress testing." A guarantee? Nope. But a stress test, nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  24. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think you need to be more specific and detailed about exactly how you are trying to play the DVDs and with what equipment. After a good rip the result should be playable on your computer's DVD drive using appropriate software. For example I like and use PowerDVD, and I suppose something similar is available for your Mac. That's the first step.

After you are successful in that regard, then (and only then) you can try to burn a DVD that's playable on your standalone DVD player(s), which presents an new set of problems. At what stage are you in this logical process?

You should be aware that standalone DVD players are quirky and won't necessarily play all burnt DVDs, depending on various factors such as the media, burner, software, etc. I run into this problem frequently, and have 3 different model standalone DVD players hooked up and available for testing. You can't draw good conclusions with only one standalone DVD player.

P.S. Rereading above, I see that I disregarded some of your info. You don't have a standalone DVD player. You have one ripped movie which plays OK on your computer, but you can't burn it to a DVD so that it's playable in your computer drive. I think you need to try a different computer burner. For one reason, you current burner could be faulty. What burner model and what media are you trying to use? On the other hand if you are generally able to burn DVDs that play OK, and only these 2 American disc movies are the problem, then I suppose it could be a new disc protection scheme.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf, hech54 wants to know how to burn a VIDEO_TS "on a Mac". That's best left for another thread.
    Does owning a Mac somehow require a person be near-*******-retarded or something?
    Good grief, hech54 asked a good question, and I clarified it, and yet we still get stupid statements?

So again....

How are you burning it? Specifically. Odds are that you're doing it wrong.
    We'd help you do it right, but you need to give more information.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    P.S. Rereading above, I see that I disregarded some of your info. You don't have a standalone DVD player. You have one ripped movie which plays OK on your computer, but you can't burn it to a DVD so that it's playable in your computer drive. I think you need to try a different computer burner. For one reason, you current burner could be faulty. What burner model and what media are you trying to use? On the other hand if you are generally able to burn DVDs that play OK, and only these 2 American disc movies are the problem, then I suppose it could be a new disc protection scheme.
    That's right. Somehow, I managed to get a working VIDEO_TS that actually plays perfectly well in DVD Player but, each time I've tried to burn it to disc, I either get a blank screen (not a blank disc) or a scrambled picture (when I play it in VLC).

My computer is my entertainment centre so, I don't have a stand alone DVD player too. I've never had this problem before. I rip DVDs all the time (for my own use of course) and they have all worked perfectly. I wanted to make a Shirley Temple collection (I practice my graphic design work this way) but two movies weren't released in Australia - Stand Up and Shout and Little Miss Broadway (even though Fox is an Australian Company).

It wouldn't surprise me if my Pioneer 115D internal DVD burner is ready to be replaced but I'm not having any problems with burning any other DVDs but these two. Of course, there is the copy-protected symbol on the back but no further information about it.

I even had a friend take it to some dodgy Chinese bootleggers but they couldn't copy them either.

I have installed Windows on my laptop (combo drive) and tried some Windows software but I'm not very familiar with Windows. No luck with those (one was DVDfab).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Does owning a Mac somehow require a person be near-*******-retarded or something?
    Good grief, hech54 asked a good question, and I clarified it, and yet we still get stupid statements?

So again....

How are you burning it? Specifically. Odds are that you're doing it wrong.
    We'd help you do it right, but you need to give more information.
    All of the methods stated in my OP. Specifically? By following the instructions of each program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to make a Shirley Temple collection (I practice my graphic design work this way) but two movies weren't released in Australia - Stand Up and Shout and Little Miss Broadway (even though Fox is an Australian Company)
    Really ? An Australian company ? Because it is owned by Rupert Murdoch (who has dual citizenship, by the way) ? That is the only connection to Australia Fox has.

Neither of these discs are exceptional in any way. The only conclusions are that either you are doing something very wrong, or the discs are damaged in some way. Neither is out of the question.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I even had a friend take it to some dodgy Chinese bootleggers but they couldn't copy them either.
    Okay, now there's your problem.You're working with something that is fictitious. I think that people were under the impression that you were working with something that actually exists.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Okay, now there's your problem.You're working with something that is fictitious. I think that people were under the impression that you were working with something that actually exists.
    Huh? What makes you think they are fictitious? Oh, you mean the movies? Yes, Shirley Temple's movies are mostly fictitious. You didn't think they were real life, did you?
    Quote Quote