VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you have automatic updates enabled for your operating system?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you have automatic updates enabled for your operating system?

I do for xp and vista - two seperate pcs.

How about you? Do you do it manually on your own terms or let the system do it for you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have update set to check for them and let me decide whether to download and install them,dont like having windows shut down in the middle of something important because it decides it needs to install a crucial update even though its 7pm and updates are set for 3am.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't let anything auto-update, especially $MS . I prefer to control what happens to my computer. You have no idea if you allow auto updates. I check the critical items like virus checker updates etc. normally every day manually. When you control it, you can sometimes determine what might have screwed up your machine, by noting behavior after an update. I use fire wall software and make most programs ask for permission to access the internet also. No trying to pick a fight just my $0.02 worth.

cuber
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    I have update set to check for them and let me decide whether to download and install them,dont like having windows shut down in the middle of something important because it decides it needs to install a crucial update even though its 7pm and updates are set for 3am.
    Pretty much the same!

I like to know about the updates, so its on to tell me about them. I then decide when its best for me to install them without annoying me (too much!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Disabled. I download my updates from Security Bulletin Search after Black Tuesday (nLite user):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Definitely on manual, it notifies me of updates and I choose. Even then, you never know what half-assed crap MS will stick you with: two weeks ago I permitted a "security update" that did nothing but install WGA, which caused me no end of grief when it falsely decided my Windows XP wasn't "genuine". PITA, had to scrounge around and uninstall the stupid thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming non-automatic would be 'other'?
    At home, updates are on notify and manual download on all auto-update supported systems. I also subscribe to CERT advisories (http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/)
    At work, using WSUS set to auto-install on a select few computers. The rest on my time schedule. In the past I've been bitten in the butt by a patch or two that left me with some cleanup on a few dozen computers early the next morning.

Control over the process, although limited, comforts me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For those of you with an iPhone, a major security hole was outed at the Black Hat Conference on Thursday. Apple has released an update but it isn't automatic. The user has to update through iTunes.

The security hole allows near complete remote control of the phone using SMS messages.
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/073109-iphone-virus-what-you-need.html?hpg1=bn
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Major pain with automatic.

It interrupts your workflow. It interrupts your (overnight) encodes. It installs crap that you don't want.

Geez. Come to think of it, I haven't updated anything on my O/S in over a year... is that bad?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by puzzler
    is that bad?
    Depends. Is it your "main" pc? Is it connected to the net 24/7?

If its landlocked and strictly an encoding machine that never sees the outside world I don't see why you'd need to update it - unless you install software that needs some new platform - like an update to microsoft's .net or something.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Running Vista. I left one computer on automatic, just to see how it would work. That went fine until I was doing a long download, overnight. Then MS decided to install a update and it went ahead and restarted my computer, losing four hours of download. So now none of the computers are set for automatic.

I also highly dislike IE8 and won't run it on any of the computers and still MS tries to slip it in when I told the update manager to skip it. Manual updates work fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use automatic updates, but still find I need to download non-critical ones manually at times.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have Windows set to notify me but my AV software is set to auto.

I also highly dislike IE8
    Don't be a hater. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Same here
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Same here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just a IE8 disliker, not a hater. The main problem I have with IE8 is it kills my spell checker and it's more important than IE8. I dislike the FireFox spell checker, so that's not a option. I had enough problems getting IE7 set up to my preferences without the added toolbars and other crap I didn't want and never use, like tabs. I just wish MS would stop trying to install IE8 when I have set it to be ignored. Vista also wants to install Defender updates and I find Defender to be about useless, along with the Vista firewall. But at least there are aftermarket programs to replace both of them. (I use Comodo and Avast.)

But for now, no more auto updates.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I allow 'em in the dead of night.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like an options should have included:
    Notify and manual download and install -and-
    Auto download and manual install (that's what I use)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by puzzler
    is that bad?
    Depends. Is it your "main" pc? Is it connected to the net 24/7?

If its landlocked and strictly an encoding machine that never sees the outside world I don't see why you'd need to update it - unless you install software that needs some new platform - like an update to microsoft's .net or something.
    Quite correct.

One is basically a stand-alone editor/encoder, etc and other than, yes, the dot Net stuff or other, it can remain reclusive from the outside world. I've actually turned off updates for this one completely.

The other is for mostly experimental stuff or downloads (legal stuff). Don't care for updates.

Another is a laptop for work, email, text, word, spreadsheet, dbase stuff, etc. Virus protection and regular data backup are good enough. Don't care for updates here too.

The other is for media playback only. Other than the odd codec (if necessary) this does not need updates either.

The other two (another desktop and laptop) are more specific in use (scanning, printing, specific portable or business stuff, etc) and I don't care for updates here either. (I have 6 PCs)

Gee, it seems like these updates are useless after all. :P When the heck would I need to update anyway? 8)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Don't forget to update Flash player and Reader, there was a patch released last week:
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

I know this is off topic but I thought somebody might need them if they use their bloated Reader.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OFF OFF OFF!!!!

M$ auto updates are EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!!!

For all the reasons pretty much everyone else stated.

I never allowed my XP machines to do it!!

Now that i have Vista i have it set to inform me, i look and choose what i want, then DL it & install it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NO!!!!!!!
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  23. Fully manual for all my PCs.

I have a laptop that I use for work. It is often connected to networks at customer sites when I visit them. I don't want updates downloading and installing when I am working with a customer. I also don't want a Microsoft update hitting a customers firewall as this often means a visit from their IT staff.

I also update my home PCs manually - same reason. I don't want an update disrupting my work. I am quite capable of running a manual update when I want and choosing the updates that I want to install.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 26th Jul 2013 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote